• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Endowment policies.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
Did anyone come into money when they reached a certain age only when I was fifteen my mom and dad cashed in one that had been taken out for me. I was so excited as it was a complete surprise and the first thing that came to mind was to put it towards a horse that I wanted more than anything in the world. I had no say in the matter as a brand new Singer sewing machine was bought for me. I so hated sewing too but they thought it would come in later if I were to marry.
thumbnail.aspx
thumbnail.aspx
Now you know how disappointed I was.

Morning All
I was recently given an old refuge insurance policy that mom had taken out in 1948 a penny policy i managed to get in touch with the refuge who no longer exsist i gave them the details and low and behold it had a surrender value ...............£8.26p
so mom still looked after me after all these years!
phill

Mine saved up for me for years and cashed it in as I wanted to be with the in crowd. Mum bought me a pair of flares and a nylon flowery shirt and it was surprised it was all gone. I started to learn the value of money.

Morning All
I was recently given an old refuge insurance policy that mom had taken out in 1948 a penny policy i managed to get in touch with the refuge who no longer exsist i gave them the details and low and behold it had a surrender value ...............£8.26p
so mom still looked after me after all these years!
phill
My gran saved 1d a week with the Mercantile credit. she thought it would have paid for her burial. It didn't. It might have bought her a bag of sweets. I kept some of the policy as it had a song or a poem on it about the Mercantile Marines.
Is Pearl Insurance still going?

When my father passed away in 1981 it was a surprise to my brother and l that he had a insurance policy.....well his mother took it out when he was born in 1905 ....l think it was a penny policy...the policy itself was yellow with age and very fragile we did'nt even know if the insurance company was still around, well after a few phone calls we were able to cash it in can'nt remember the exact amount but know it was over a 100pounds..we were told that most of that was interest....Brenda

Yes, Pearl Insurance is still going. My mother also took a policy out for me that she paid a farthing a week into, obviously that did not bring in much when I cashed it in in 2007, but it was better than a smack in the eye with a wet fish. One thing which is not actually an endowment, but worked in a similar way was the £30 death benefit. Not available any more, I took one out for both my parents with Liverpool Victoria in 1962. When we married my husband took two out for his parents too. I think the reason we did it was because in those days, to find money for flowers and possibly black clothes etc for a funeral was going to cost quite a bit, so that is what I had in mind. I can't remember how much it cost, but I think 2/6 a month. I remember getting back £88 when my dad died in 1986, but I can't remember how much my mother's paid out in 2008. My mother in law died in February this year, so we cashed in the policy and had quite a surprise. It was 'paid up' some years ago, so we have not paid any money for a considerable time, but it gave us just over £300. As my mother in law had requested 'loads of flowers' for her funeral, she had just what she wanted.

When my father passed away in 1981 it was a surprise to my brother and l that he had a insurance policy.....well his mother took it out when he was born in 1905 ....l think it was a penny policy...the policy itself was yellow with age and very fragile we did'nt even know if the insurance company was still around, well after a few phone calls we were able to cash it in can'nt remember the exact amount but know it was over a 100pounds..we were told that most of that was interest....Brenda
Nowt to do with your post Brenda but it's your name. I was at school with a little girl with a foreign name. No one could say it so she was called Zebra Bra. And so we sang her name to Wonderbar. Sorry Bren it had to come out. Nico

Yes, Pearl Insurance is still going. My mother also took a policy out for me that she paid a farthing a week into, obviously that did not bring in much when I cashed it in in 2007, but it was better than a smack in the eye with a wet fish. One thing which is not actually an endowment, but worked in a similar way was the £30 death benefit. Not available any more, I took one out for both my parents with Liverpool Victoria in 1962. When we married my husband took two out for his parents too. I think the reason we did it was because in those days, to find money for flowers and possibly black clothes etc for a funeral was going to cost quite a bit, so that is what I had in mind. I can't remember how much it cost, but I think 2/6 a month. I remember getting back £88 when my dad died in 1986, but I can't remember how much my mother's paid out in 2008. My mother in law died in February this year, so we cashed in the policy and had quite a surprise. It was 'paid up' some years ago, so we have not paid any money for a considerable time, but it gave us just over £300. As my mother in law had requested 'loads of flowers' for her funeral, she had just what she wanted.

I worked for the Liverpool Vic in the early 70's and also took out the £30 policy on my mother along with other policies.When she passed away in 2011 at the age of 90 the payout on the policies completely covered the cost of her funeral,flowers etc etc.

My parents used to have endowment policies for us kids with royal liver insurance. The endoments were for 5,10 or15 years with them. The insurance man used to sit down to a cup of tea and tell us funny stories jokes and afterwards help me play the piano.a nice man

nico. just read your july 15th 2012..ha ha ......l know this is off subject ...........shame on you name calling someone "wonderbar"...that was a whole lot better than some of the names l had to put up with....one was mars bar..etc......my brothers name was harvey barr. so he was always halfabar....sad thing was we always answered to them.....buts thats was nothing to what the kids of today say, thank you for bringing back memories and a laugh.......Brenda

After the death of my maternal grandfather in 1960, my grandmother came to live with us. My mother took out 3 '1d' policies with the Pru, Her, Dad and Nan. One, my Father's is still running. The other's we cashed in on their deaths. Designed to pay for a Funeral in 1960's Britain, they were valued at £300. by the 2000's they paid for the Sandwiches afterwards!
I know of other people who've had them pay out, a few hundred pounds, not much, comparitively, today, but nice all the same.

nico. just read your july 15th 2012..ha ha ......l know this is off subject ...........shame on you name calling someone "wonderbar"...that was a whole lot better than some of the names l had to put up with....one was mars bar..etc......my brothers name was harvey barr. so he was always halfabar....sad thing was we always answered to them.....buts thats was nothing to what the kids of today say, thank you for bringing back memories and a laugh.......Brenda
Cant tell you my nickname as the site dots some words out now. Nan re married and we couldn't stand him he was known as Marzbar too because off his name and he was so tight he used to cut em in half, re use this tea barrell for months and make vile stewed tea.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by brenda barr

Cant tell you my nickname as the site dots some words out now. Nan re married and we couldn't stand him he was known as Marzbar too because off his name and he was so tight he used to cut em in half, re use this tea barrell for months and make vile stewed tea.

Can somebody please explain to this puzzled person what Nicknames have to do with the Thread which is about Endowment Policies?

It is Brenda's name, Bernie, coupled with my brain, and Endowment. The girl with the nickname similar to Brenda's was very well endowed. Should we have a nickname thread?

Sorry Nico, think we moderators would probably have to work overtime if we had such a thread, LOL, so , back to the Endowment policies.

HI Ninjidsin
just read your thread of your agent calling around for collecting payments fot these policys how he would come in
have a chat and joke and make you laugh ; when i was a nipper and our mom was young now as i grew up and lok back in years to just old she was
in that era of the fortys and fiftys she never worked when she got married because of the foot ball team number of kids she had around her ;
but cutting the story short ; our dad worked hard at charles harriss on the flat of lodge rd as a bakerlite moulder
but he joined the royal liver and used to give momthe moner to pay this bloke whom i will not name for legal reasons and he may have sibbling around today but she was paying him every wek dads money for a year or two until one day mom and dad got a letter from the company saying they had failed to payments
dad went barmy at her and she said bill i have never missed a payment so they went to there offices and complained
they investigated the problem brought hi into the office and found he had two books and he was swinderling the customers and my parents they called the poolice r iand he was prosecuted he had only gone a bought a hercules police bike with there money he got done for it
he never came back and that swiped his face of smiles and jokes he was also fired best wishes astonian;;

You would with mine Alberta and the ones we gave each other at work and at school. Or the ones the colleagues didn;t know they had. Thirty lashes! Ooh! ah! ooh!

hi astonian, we were with the royal liver the 50s to the end of the 60s. i'd heard our insurance man got sacked for fiddling the books and we didn't use them anymore. must have been catching, they sold up in the end.

Back