• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Empire Safe Company

coerl21

master brummie
A belated Happy New Year to everyone!

I've just come into possession of a small safe manufactured by the Birmingham Safe Company. I can't find any reference to it on the web. Does anyone know anything about them? I have to add that I have nothing of value to keep in the safe - but my aunt used to keep the tea and sugar in the piano - so perhaps I should continue with the family foibles and keep mine in the safe!

the empire safe co. was at water street around 1903/04

im sure mikejee will find more when he sees your post

Coerl29 I am as bad as you I went to Argyle Solicitors in Tamworth the other day it was founded in 1749. While waiting I noticed a very old strong room door with a plaque on it stating Birmingham there I was trying to read it through several coats of paint. I wonder if they thought I was 'caseing the joint'....lol

Wendy, didn't you have your camera with you? You could have taken a photo - that would have really worried them! lol

Wendy there's one thing for sure you wouldn't be taking it away - my safe is 2' x 15" and I can just about lift it off the floor! I think I'm obsessed with dates - somewhere in my house I've an old silver spoon (probably worth 1/6) but I'm so frustrated that I can't read the hallmarks - partly wear on the spoon but mainly wear on my eyes! Paul

Combining Sheera’s work with mine:

1890-6 Antcliff, Harry Richard, safe maker, Vulcan safe works ,43 Water St
1897-5 Empire Safe Co,The Vulcan Safe Works, Water St (Harry Richard Antcliff prop) not the same Vulcan safe works as no 43 water St. , but on the opposite side
1908- 21 33A, Empire Safe Co ,Lower Tower street St (Harry Richard Antcliff prop.)

1930 - 1950 at 250 - 254 Heneage st. By 1950 they have collected a clutch of names-
British Burnside,fireproof safe mkrs, Wakefield W. H.& Co. fireproof safe mkrs
And Birmingham Safe Co. Ltd. fireproof safe mkrs.
1955 not listed and no company listed at the Heneage st address

Before this in 1884 the works at 43 Water st were owned by Josiah White, flre proof safe manufacturer. In 1888 no 43 Water St was not listed.
It’s a bit of a coincidence that you first thought it was made by the Birmingham safe co, and that they also produced safes under that name. The safe hasn’t got both written names on it has it?
Mike

Mike, thank you for that very comprehensive reply. There's a brass plaque on the front "EMPIRE SAFE CO - BIRMINGHAM" - I got my words mixed up! However on the inside of the door is a large paper label with a picture of a steamer - and in very small print (which I missed) is "M'CAW STEVENSON & OWR RELEASE 33920" Paul

Hi., I just spotted this forum post on 'tinterweb whilst investigating a safe I have discovered in my home.

Am I right to assume, from your posting, that this safe is circa 1884?

IMG_0887.JPGIMG_0888.JPG

Steve.

Josiah White is listed as a fireproof safe maker at 42 Water St from 1879, though he is listed previously as a japanner at the same address. By 1884 he was listed as being at both 42 & 43, having taken over the works of the brass founder next door, though i doubt if the labels on his safe were altered. So it would be reasonable to date it from 1879-about 1887

Thank you mikejee. Very interesting. Thanks for the confirmation of date range. It's open so with that confirmation of age I think it has just become a project. I think I will undertake some careful restoration to preserve a little piece of Brum history.

Hello, I've been trying to get a bit of history on this old safe that we have and found the best references to Birmingham made safes on this forum. Could anyone enlighten me to its origins? Thank you :)

DSC_0404.jpg

Presumably made at the Vulcan safe works (see post 9 on this thread), though trade names often survive after the company name is changed, som it xould be by that company in another incarnation.

Hi all I have recently come across a Josiah white safe also labelled at 42&43 water street. Any ideas what I can do with it, also I have the key for it. Thanks in advance

[QUOTE = "mikejee, post: 544117, miembro: 3395"]
Presumiblemente se hizo en los trabajos seguros de Vulcan (vea la publicación 9 en este hilo), aunque los nombres comerciales a menudo sobreviven después de que se cambia el nombre de la compañía, y puede ser que esa compañía esté en otra encarnación.
[/CITAR]
Hola sabes tú de LA COMPAÑÍA DE OSIRIS DE BIRMINGHAM
tengo una CAJA FUERTE

Last edited by a moderator:
A translation of the above post, for anybody who can help.

QUOTE = "mikejee, post: 544117, miembro: 3395"
Presumably it was done in the safe works of Vulcan (see publication 9 in this thread), although commercial names often survive after the name of the company is changed, and it may be that that company is in another incarnation.
[/QUOTE]
Hello, you know about THE COMPANY OF OSIRIS DE BIRMINGHAM
I have a STRONG BOX

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Carla. Welcome here.
We do not know what your strong bx looks like, but I have an idea that is is portable and was the type of strong box used to carry gold and money on trains and stage coaches especially during times of war in the Americas.
I also think that Birmingham, Alabama, might be its origin rather than Birmingham, England.
But someone here may know better than I do.

Hola carla Bienvenido.
No sabemos cómo se ve tu fuerte bx, pero tengo una idea que es portátil y era el tipo de caja fuerte que se usa para llevar oro y dinero en trenes y entrenadores de escenario, especialmente durante los tiempos de guerra en las Américas.
También creo que Birmingham, Alabama, podría ser su origen en lugar de Birmingham, Inglaterra.
Pero alguien aquí puede saber mejor que yo

con agradecimientos a Google

Back