• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Emily portlock.

Vixen

master brummie
Unsure where to put this.
I'm looking for a bit of help on Emily Portlock who married John W Hadley in 1878. My granddad's dad was a john W Hadley, and his dad a john W Hadley married an emily portlock.
The marriage of John William HADLEY & Emily PORTLOCK took place on 25 December 1878 at Birmingham Bishop Ryder - image available to view on Ancestry - and states that John W was 21, Shoemaker, Caernarvon, father Henry HADLEY, Shoemaker, Emily was aged 20, Bartholomew Row, father Henry PORTLOCK, Nail Cutter. They had a son John W. Hadley born 6th December 1892, Birmingham who married a May E Johns in 1915 in birmingham (1898).

Between 1858 and 1862 there are 3 emily portlock. PORTLOCK, EMILY BULLOCK GRO Reference: 1858 M Quarter in Lambeth,

PORTLOCK, EMILY WALKER GRO Reference: 1860 S Quarter in BIRMINGHAM Volume 06D Page 131 - their daughter emily is showing as single on the census's after emily portlock I'm interested in married John hadley.

Then the 3rd birth registration for an Emily portlock born/baptised in Birmingham, mmn West was registered 1862. Mary Ann married William Portlock who does just happen to be a Nail Cutter which on the marriage bans is the job of 'henry' portlock. It's possible her dad's name was entered incorrectly given Johns dad was henry.

The1881 census of Ladywood, Birmingham (RG11/2968, folio 6, page 6) shows William & Mary PORTLOCK, William now being a Licensed Victualler, living at 37 Camden Street with married daughter Emma HADLEY, aged 18, Barmaid, daughter Leah PORTLOCK, aged 14 & nephew William JONES, aged 7. William owned a pub and emma/emily was a barmaid https://pubwiki.co.uk/Warwickshire. I've noticed Emma and Emily being used on records.

There seems to be quite a few conflicting records out there on Emily's birth place, and it would now appear a Maria portlock has been thrown into the mix on an ancestry site. She had a daughter emily portlock 1958 Lambeth. However having looked at this I really can't see a link but would welcome someone looking at this for me. Consistently the emily I'm interested in says she cane from Birmingham. Maria did not marry a William or a Henry portlock. And Maria seems to have links with Joseph paulsen.

I believe Emily lied about her age when she married John. Her birth is registered Jun.qtr.1862 Birmingham, mmn West. She was baptised 8/12/1862 St. Martin, Birmingham as 'Emmala' Portlock - dau. of William (Nail Cutter) and Mary - baptised at the same time is an older sister - Sarah Ann birth reg'd Mar.1860 Birmingham, mmn West. In 1881 she is 18 (barmaid as mentioned), and in 1891 28 l. Children to John W Hadley and Emily/Emma Portlock appear to be: Edith Sarah Ann - birth June 1881 Birmingham

Henry Edwin - Sept.1883 Aston Leah - Dec.1885 Birmingham Charles Frederick - Dec.1887 Aston Arthur John - June 1892 Aston John William - Mar.1894 (so born 6th. December 1893) Aston George - birth June 1895, death June 1895 Aston I note that Emily Hadley bc.1862, also died June 1895 Aston maybe childbirth death. . .

I found that in 1881 William ran the golden cup pub, 37 Camden St, Birmingham. Interestingly emily becomes an Emma Here 1881/William Portlock/Licensed Victualler/52/Birmingham/Census **** 1881/Mary A Portlock/Wife/48/Birmingham/Census 1881/Frederick Portlock/Son, Brass Dresser/27/Birmingham/Census 1881/Emma Hadley/Daughter, Barmaid/18/Birmingham/Census 1881/Leah Portlock/Daughter, Barmaid/14/Birmingham/Census 1881/William Jones/Nephew/7/New York, United States/Census 1881/Mary Edwards/Domestic Servant/16/Oldbury, Stafford/Census 1883/William Portlock/../../../Kellys Directory ***

Anyone who could see if I've the correct parents and who can check the 1858 Lambeth emily, mother Maria portlock to see if I've missed something, I'd really appreciate the help.

I think Emily portlock lambeth married william Dorling. She had a daughter hilda, DORLING, HILDA EMILY PORTLOCK GRO Reference: 1885 M Quarter in FULHAM Volume 01A Page 296 Portlock was maria's maiden name

Thanks

It looks to me that you have everything right. Just a small mistake with Emily/Emma's father's name on her marriage. Do the witnesses help?

John Hadley appears to be in Bradford in 1881 and in 1901 & 1911 is living with a Lavinia Brewer (?) as wife though can't see a marriage.

Lavinia is Ann Lavinia Turner who married Thomas Brewer 1889.

Last edited:
It looks to me that you have everything right. Just a small mistake with Emily/Emma's father's name on her marriage. Do the witnesses help?

John Hadley appears to be in Bradford in 1881 and in 1901 & 1911 is living with a Lavinia Brewer (?) as wife though can't see a marriage.

I believe John married lavinia after emily died. I'm unsure why Emily switches from Emma to emily as well. I don't know why but a ton of people seem to think Maria portlock who had an Emily portlock in Lambeth is the same emily who married John but I just don't see the link. It took ages to try and work emily portlock out because of the age descrepancy and the wrong dad's name on the bans but having ruled out 1860 emily, the only realistic one I can see is 1862 Emily whose dad a nail cutter is William.

Regarding the witnesses there is a john Owen and I can't read the other name.

Apart from the name everything else looks correct and the proof is she is with her parents after marriage in 1881 listed as daughter.

Emily/Emma do interchange a lot. My 3 x great grandmother was an Emily Briggs and she is listed as both.

Apart from the name everything else looks correct and the proof is she is with her parents after marriage in 1881 listed as daughter.

Emily/Emma do interchange a lot. My 3 x great grandmother was an Emily Briggs and she is listed as both.
That's interesting to know this may have been common. Thanks

moving this thread to the correction section of the forum (surname interests)

Back