• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Emerald Social & Boys Football Club Small Heath Birmingham

jb007uk

proper brummie kid
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have an documentation, links or info on the above football team. I am also looking for any historians of any of the following leagues who may have old records. Birmingham Boys League, Castle Vale League, Mercian League, Selly Oak League, South Birmingham League, Second City League, Central Warwickshire League, Festival League and finally the Midland Combination League.

I played in the first game for Emerald Boys under 11 1969-70 Lyndon playing field and played in the last game that Emerald Social ever played around 1992 in Div 2 in the Midland Com. I am looking to compile the history of the club that had a number of players who went on to be high profile players in the professional game. Started by Joe Burke (originally from Dublin) he oversaw upto 8 teams that ran at the same team from the old Emerald club in Small Heath, Birmingham.

Hi jb007uk,

I played for the Emerald Boys from 1974, the manager was Bill Yallop. Can't recall the year now, but we moved to be based at the Railway. We were in the Festival League Division 2 playing on Sunday afternoons to begin with and won promotion to Division 1 in the mornings and eventually the Premier. I had a falling out with Bill after being substitute for a couple of games and left. Memories are getting hazy, so not sure of dates. We also won the County Cup I think with a mixed age Emerald side for which I have a silver medal. Prior to joining Emerald Boys I played for Sparr XI in the Birmingham Boys League.

Hi jb007uk,

I played for the Emerald Boys from 1974, the manager was Bill Yallop. Can't recall the year now, but we moved to be based at the Railway. We were in the Festival League Division 2 playing on Sunday afternoons to begin with and won promotion to Division 1 in the mornings and eventually the Premier. I had a falling out with Bill after being substitute for a couple of games and left. Memories are getting hazy, so not sure of dates. We also won the County Cup I think with a mixed age Emerald side for which I have a silver medal. Prior to joining Emerald Boys I played for Sparr XI in the Birmingham Boys League.
Hi Lander66,

Sorry for the late reply. Did you play in the Birmingham Junior County Cup final where Emerald beat Northfield Town 3-0 in the 1974 final. The win was pretty amazing when you consider that a number of that Northfield side went on to become top level professionals.

Look forward to hearing from you

Kind regards

Joe Burke.

Back