• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Embassy Roller Rink Walford Road

Hi Christina - I think the spelling of Jean was Phethen but not too sure. I too took all my NSA medals there whilst a member of the figure and dance club held on Sunday afternoons. Spent all my teen years there until I got married. Does anyone remember those Sundays? - Heather nee Benton
Jean Phethean!

Tried to get on to above but it stated "not found". any help would be appreciated.
I notice I posted the link 10 years ago and it looks as if it has gone out of date. Try the one below
Scroll down it to see possible videos .... :)

Janice

You don't give a year for your aunt, but is she among these youngsters in 1949?

View attachment 120885
I was a dance club member and "went out" with 4th top row Graham Clare for about a year. Jack Struggles is 3rd right top row, Second row 1st is Bunny, 4th Leon with future wife in front of him. Happy memories! Where are they now?

I notice I posted the link 10 years ago and it looks as if it has gone out of date. Try the one below
Scroll down it to see possible videos .... :)
Many thanks for that - it was interesting to see the standard in those days. It must have been held at the Summer Hill Rink which was originally an ice rink where the seating and cafe arrangements were far superior to the Embassy Roller Rink in Sparkhill, Birmingham. However IT WAS THE LARGEST!

Maria Benton, Jack Roberts and Norma Hawkins, international skaters in October 1939. Viv.

View attachment 122818
On the left is my Auntie Marie and her partner Jack Roberts who represented GB in international competitions. Auntie Marie introduced me, Heather Benton, to roller skating at The Embassy Rink in Walford Road, B'ham where I took all my NSA medals for dance and figure skating. Spent most of teenage years there. Happy days. Anyone remember me?

Many thanks for that - it was interesting to see the standard in those days. It must have been held at the Summer Hill Rink which was originally an ice rink where the seating and cafe arrangements were far superior to the Embassy Roller Rink in Sparkhill, Birmingham. However IT WAS THE LARGEST!
I was an ice skater and spent many happy years at the rink before it became a roller rink. My forum avatar gives a clue ... ;)
Edit ps ... if you have not already seen it there is the thread below ..

Last edited:
roller rink

Hi Darby
Cannot recall the name sorry, but I always was rubbish at names! I started skating in/around 1956, I remember the chaps used to tip the guys giving out the skates, they always reckoned they got a better set of wheels(with out the flat, worn out wooden wheels that made a humming noise!) But as you say whether they did or not? Do you remember Keith Hearne ? he worked in the skate shop, he is married to a very dear friend of mine. I still have scars on my knees from bad falls on that wooden floor! Best time of my life though!

Barbara Howells
Does anyone remember Peggie and Staff, Jack and Iris, Stan and Peggy from the early fifties at the Embassy?

Back