• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Embassy Roller Rink Walford Road

Re: Memories of the Embassy Roller Rink

Hi Karen
Thanks for the great photos! All those smiling faces too shows how much they enjoyed their skating. I only skated at the Embassy in Waldorf Road. I have so many happy memories in fact some of the best days of my life. I put my grand-daughters roller boots on the other week but I soon found out that in my mind I could skate but unfortunately my legs couldn't! Still dream on!!!
Barbara

Love the grand entrance. The building as still there when I worked in the area.

It was used as some part of the munitions program during the WW11 remember seeing the shell cases moving along the conveyor line past the open doorways one summer when going up Conway Rd with my sister.
Later used the skating rink when I was about 12/13 years old. Remember coming off the rink onto the rubber matting of the café, stopped you dead in your tracks.
Also the problem of getting a half decent set of skates when you rented them, truly a case of first come best served.
Cheers Tim.

Was it also once the sportsdrome ? This 1949 programme of a boxing event is for sale on eBay. Viv.

image.jpeg

I remember going to watch the boxing there but it was not the best venue for it. I also used the Austin and J. Lucas on Shaftsmoor Lane where the bouts were held in the canteen , on Friday evenings I believe.

I have just had a thought, I may be wrong but I have a vague memory of watching wrestling at The same venue as well.

Fascinating to see a photo of the embassy Roller Rink - I gather it was part of the Sportsdrome. I think this is the rink where my late Aunt trained at with the Birmingham Speed Skating Team - I know that she and her friend went on to skate for the British Team. In fact the first ever British Women's Speed Team were all from Birmingham - Pat Kirkham (who I remember meeting without any idea how good a skater she had been), Doreen Aspley (as she was then and later Campbell, my Aunt) and Marlene Worrall.

Janice

You don't give a year for your aunt, but is she among these youngsters in 1949?

Sparkbrook Embassy Arena 1949.jpg

Sorry - should have said. Early 1950s so 1949 is a bit early. Think she went to the World Championships in 1952 or 1953. When on laptop will post website showing her and Pat.

I am now back on my laptop so can post links. Doreen married my Uncle in 1956 so it was before that but she was skating when I first met her in about 1954. On this site it says more about Pat - the golden girl of roller speed skating but my Aunt is the middle girl in the photo of 3 part way down the page.

Last edited:
I am now back on my laptop so can post links. Doreen married my Uncle in 1956 so it was before that but she was skating when I first met her in about 1954. On this site it says more about Pat - the golden girl of roller speed skating but my Aunt is the middle girl in the photo of 3 part way down the page. https://www.britishskatinglegends.com/kirkhampat.htm
Notice in your "link" mention of the present day Birmingham Wheels Club. My two nieces were members there for some years and the one held the British Championship for her age group.

Maria Benton, Jack Roberts and Norma Hawkins, international skaters in October 1939. Viv.

image.jpeg

Ah the Embassy roller rink! I absolutely loved the place and went nearly every night all the way from Northfield on two buses then on a Saturday and Sunday too, I believe they opened in the afternoon on a Wednesday too. I was onsessed with the place. Eventually my Dad brought me a second hand pair of roller skates with white kid boots attached, I was over the moon. I met my first husband there in 1957and that was the end of my skating.embassy 12.jpg

Last edited:
welcome anita i felt the same way about spring hill rollar rink...hope you enjoy the forum

lyn

Stan handed out the skatess and also acted as a second at the wrestling.I used to sit in the front row with my Dad every week. Iwas given a kiss for i think my eleventh birthday by Kendo Nagasaki who always wrestled in a mask.Conrad Davies promoted the wrestling and some of the wrestlers played snooker with my Dad (he had a full size snooker table in the attic), we lived in one of those rambling houses in Walford Road. My husband was in the speed skating team and still has the scars and missing elbow to prove it! Amazing how three little words "Embassy roller rink take you back 40+ years
hi carrie,,,is your name styler,,,,,i knew your father and bought my first car from him,,,,a wolseley,, 680, [wished i still had it],he was a true character,,,very funny man,,,,i used to see him on monday nights at the wrestling,,,,where did the years go?

Happy memories of Embassy Roller Rink. I use to go there and my mum and dad paid for my first skates, lovely white boots. My mum made my skating dresses, all my hand. One year we had the tv people there to show skating, not only figure but the speed as well. I was in it, which was so exciting. My dress was yellow satin, with green underskirts, not that anyone would see the colours as it was all in black and white then. Jean Pheffan (can't remember how to spell her last name) was the resident teacher there, she was world champion quite a few times. I had private lessons with her as well. I remember taking my first medal skating a waltz with her to the theme from Carousel. We lived in St Martins Flats then so it was only a short bus ride away. How I loved it.
Hi Christina - I think the spelling of Jean was Phethen but not too sure. I too took all my NSA medals there whilst a member of the figure and dance club held on Sunday afternoons. Spent all my teen years there until I got married. Does anyone remember those Sundays? - Heather nee Benton

Back