• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Embassy Roller Rink Walford Road

The film Pathe news i don't think that is the Embassy roller rink if you look back at page one there are photos of the inside of the Embassy and it doesn't have a banked outer area and the safty rails are different, have a look see what you think. i think it is another rink.

Hi Frederick - Thanks for answering. In the Springhill Ice Rink and Roller Rink threads, we have discussed seeing a glimpse of Mecca Ltd in the clip. Mecca took over the B'ham ice rink, built a new ice rink called Silver Blades, and changed the old Springhill rink to a roller rink, and maybe its that one. I think the freezer equipment was sold to the small Bearwood Ice Rink.
oldmohawk

Fred

I don't think its the Embassy either, I never used it anywhere near the amount of times that you did. But it doesn't look like the Embassy at all, I have to be honest I never remember it being that clean. Could it be Spring Hill?

Phil

Whilst reading a book today from English Heritage (Played in Birmingham) I came across this image in an article about Spring Hill Rink. The competition mentioned was in fact held at that venue after it was converted to a roller rink.

Phil

Ladywood Summer Hill Roller Rink.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that PHIL , As i said to OLD MOHAWK The doors , Steps & skate shop seem to be in the same places as I remember from the old days of the ice rink. but I remember windows along one side & the cafe on the other re your photo.

slightly off thread on the other side of the road was the Masque Ballroom, met my Wife there at a Xmas dance in 1951 whilst home on leave. I bet thats long since gone too. Eric

Eric

The Masque became the Harp Club and did good business for years, its closed now but I think the building is still there.

Phil

hi all...just looked at the pathe clip about a dozen times and i am 99.9% sure that it is of spring hill rollar rink...the entrance is in the right place for the stage to be on the right and following round from the stage at the opposite end to the entrance was the bar...i can even see the little step up from the stage to the bar...oh and the cafe was on the opposite side of the stage...

lyn:)

Eric

The Masque became the Harp Club and did good business for years, its closed now but I think the building is still there.

Phil

While on our Dennis Road school trip to Douglas Holiday Camp on the Isle of Man, at the age of 11, I started roller skating and in my early teens was a big time visitor, with my cousin Frederick, to the Embassy Roller Rink only giving up roller skating for cycling. That Irish club, 'The Harp', always put the willies up me and when I'd done an evening session at the Embassy I'd never cross over the street passing the 'Harp' as the noise from inside was frightening and I was worried about getting a drunken Irishman landing on top of me, one that had been thrown through the window!:D

Graham.

Graham,
I remember us both being worried when we past the Harp.

Fred:D:D:D I wonder how many times they had to replace the window in the 'Harp' before they stopped bothering and just boarded the window up; had they run out of cash, windows or drunken Irishmen?:D:D:D

Graham.

spent a number of weeks roller skating when the old Birmingham Ice Rink closed for it annual 6 weeks summer refit.
Never could get on with the amount of dust roller skating kicked up back in those days.
In line skates now are a great invention remember doing a demo video for the first skates made by METIRTOY (SORRY ABOUT SPELLING) when playing Ice Hockey at Solihull .
Any one know if they let you use this type of skate at roller rinks today? THAT IS FOR GENERAL SKATING NOT JUST ROLLER HOCKEY?

I spent many a happy hour on my backside trying to roller skate at the embassy. and never did master the art, i held on to the bar going round so much i was treated for rust. All the best formula t.

hello all, i used to go roller skating quite often in the late 50.s early60's, though i must admit i was just about good enough to stand up!!, i quite enjoyed it though. i only went there once for the wrestling and that was when Masembula had a botle thrown at him first and last time i went there to see the wrestling after that i went to the Aston Hipp. Anyone remember Chopper Conroy from those days?

by for now

shardeen

Re: Memories of the Embassy Roller Rink

Hi Barbara Howells,
Michael Poole of the Midland roller skating team that was and is on the Birmingham forum now, wants to have a chat with you and as asked me to get in contact with you as he doesn't know how to do these things yet.

Fred

Used to go roller skating there in the early 50s.One time when showing off at speed I came cropper and landed on my head.When I came too there was a gorgeous blonde enquiring if I was O.K. My first thought was,I'm dead, in heaven and she is an angel...wrong...She later became my wife,she wasn't really angelic,but she is still my No.1 squeeze.

Re: Memories of the Embassy Roller Rink

Hi Fred
Belated reply
My name has changed to Barbara Cocum now I am pleased to have found my way back to the forum.
I remember the name Michael Poole.
Barbara
rollerrinklass now rollerinklass

Back