• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Email Stuck

GER22VAN

master brummie
I have finally managed to get something near normal with my computer after a lot of trouble.
My problem now is that I tried to send an email in Outlook Express and it refuses to go.
Please Please to someone help me to solve this problem.
Thank you for any help that is is posted.

Can you receive emails to your Outlook Express ? One way to test this is to set up a Googlemail account and send test emails from it to your OE email. It could be that your account settings need re-entering.
I use Linux (mostly) and Windows 7 so I can't use OE, but Thunderbird works for my ISP email which I only use for 'official' and private business. I use Gmail for general use, it filters out spam and accepts very large photo files.

THANK YOU oldMohawk.
It tells me I receive email but I cannot open them, I believe I can send emails ok.
I get an ERROR sign in the bottom right had corner.

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. . Account: 'POP.orangehome.co.uk', Server: 'SMTP.orangehome.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '501 5.1.3 Bad recipient address syntax', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 501, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Last edited:
I think you need to phone your Internet Service Provider because it seems to be a problem connecting to their server.
I entered the following line from your post into Google and long answers came up, try it.

No, Server Error: 501, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

I can give you the procedure to re install Outlook Express but perhaps a chat with your ISP is probably the best thing to do.
oldmohawk...:)

Thank You Once Again oldmohawk.
I twice went into the Orange Shop " The line is down, will be fixed in 8 hours" That was two weeks ago.

The reply from the Orange Shop that the 'line is down' seems a bit strange when you are obviously using the internet.
It might be better to phone Orange or set up a Gmail or Hotmail account and email them.
It always pays to set up alternative emails for when you have problems
I had a look in the XP part of my computer and found Outlook Express still there and clicking on 'tools' and 'accounts' saw the server settings which I had previously copied to make Thunderbird run. The incoming port is 110, and the outgoing port is 25 for my ISP. Your email address in the account settings has to be exact.
Was the problem with your computer caused by Virus or Malware or Something else ?

Hello oldmohawk, I had trouble once again yesterday trying to reset my computer to an earlier date,its working today.
I paid a shop up the road to install my new Mcaffee and they also installed Malware. I shall have a look at what you say.
Thanks once again oldmohawk. reguards Ernie.

Hi Ernie,
I'm glad to hear you have got your problems sorted out...we have to keep these computers in their place.
Although I've got Windows7 and XP, I mostly use the Linux Ubuntu system for the internet...maybe the only member on the forum to do so.
I'm probably a bit of a computer 'geek', think it started when I bought a Sinclair ZX81 about 30 years ago and then Commodores etc, and when I was at work I used a VAX computer which was the size of a wardrobe.
Phil

Back