• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Email Attahments

Old Boy

master brummie
Hi All,

Help! When I try to open an Email attachment I quite often get the message "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel"

However I caanot find 'Set Associations' in the Control Panel or anywhere else. Can anyone advise me please?

Old Boy

The only think I can suggest off hand is to Google the file extension - the bit after the dot and see if you can get advice that way. Or hand on until someone comes along who knows.

To open an email you must have software on your pc that is compatable with the attachment. eg ; adobe or pdf . Normlly it recomends that you need new sofware if it doesn,t open.
colin

Before you can do anything you need to know what program is supposed to open the file and you must also have it installed on your pc. If you are ok on both these requirements then the easiest way is to right-click the file, choose 'Open With' and 'Choose Program' from the menu. Now either highlight the program in the list or use the Browse button to find it. Before clicking on OK put a tick in the box labelled 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file'.

If you don't know the program to use then post back with the extension of the file and someone may recognise it.

Terry

Another thought, If you are using Vista then in the control panel you need to double click the icon 'default programs' to set associations.

Thank you all for your suggestions especially Hanco. With your help I have now got it sorted.

Old Boy

Back