• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Elton family from Aston

K

KHowarthbrown

Can anyone help with the Elton family who lived in Aston from the 1850's. Names are Charles, Edward, John, Caroline, Clara, George.
At one time they were brewer retailers [ publicans] and had the Highgate Tavern at 133 Moseley Road as well as premeises at 34 Hope Street and 25 Mc Donald [?]Street. Other branches of the family were Carpenters.

KHowartbrown,
welcome to the forum.
Not sure how much info you have on them,but just to get the ball rolling ,I assume this is them,taken from the 1861 census .He is shown as a liceinced victualler,the address is 25 McDonald Street

Name: Charles Elton
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1821
Relation: Head
Spouses's Name: Caroline
Where born: Kempley, Gloucestershire, England

Civil parish: Birmingham
Ecclesiastical parish: St Luke
Town: Birmingham
County/Island: Warwickshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage: View image

Registration district: Birmingham
Sub-registration district: St Martin
ED, institution, or vessel: 16
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 162
Household Members: Name Age
Caroline Elton 38
Charles Elton 40
Charles Elton 11
Edward Elton 13
George Elton 14
John Elton 3
Thomas Fryer 16
Mary Ann Rook 19

Colin

Good Morning,
Thanks very much for replying to my posting.
Yes, this is the right family, sons George and Edward also became Brewer Retailers [ a posh name for publicans?] and George had the Highgate Tavern at 133 Moseley Road. I think he and his wife then went to New Zealand and his brother Edward and his wife took over the pub.I don't know if it still stands and was interested to see if any old photos of it existed. Thanks for getting back to me
Kate Howarth-Brown

Back