• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

elston

I

iris

does any-one know any-think, re garding the elstons from nechells,,,also broadheads,help,,,,,,

does any-one know any-think, re garding the elstons from nechells,,,also broadheads,help,,,,,,

My Dad was a Elston from Nechells , there was Walter (wally ) Violet (sissy ) Ronald. Albert (john /Titch) that was my dad and Iris , my gran i am sure her surname was broadhead before she married Grandad Elston and after he passed away she married Mr Cooke they had children called David, derick, maureen,Brian and carol who sadly passed away as a child , i hope that you get this message as i can see your request is quite old , would love to hear from you x

Yes i remember that when we lived in Brum still , but no relation lol ! Thanks for the info though . :encouragement:

Hello. You will get a lot of help from people on here, but you need to give a little more information, such as names and dates.

Barrie.

Hi Barrie

Thanks for reply , i was answering the thread set by Iris asking about the Elston"s as i am one of them ! If you look at my post above . I would like the lady to get in touch to see my reply , i am hoping she is still a memeber on here as her post is old , i have only recently joined the forum . Do you know how i would find out if she still a member ?

Once again thanks for reply

regards

Netty

Sorry about that Netty, I hadn't even noticed that the original post was 5 years old!! There must be a member list somewhere, but I don't know how to find it, sorry.

Barrie.

hi barrie as far as i can see the members list has been removed which is a pity because it did come in handy sometimes.. annette ive just looked at post 1 made by iris and she is no longer a member im afraid...she is only a guest on the forum so will not be able to reply to you..
lyn

Hi Lyn. I did notice that Iris was listed as a guest in her post of 2007, so perhaps she never became a member, shame really, we could have perhaps helped her in her search.

Barrie.

Hi Thanks everyone for the input , it would have been nice to see who it was enquiring about my Dad"s family . Maybe she will return and i will get to see what /who she was and how she knew the Elston"s . I should have joined the forum earlier !!! Have a nice weekend everyone x

I can remember the Cooks,we lived in a yard behind their house in Charles Arthur Street,Brian and I were friends.I also remember Carol dying,she suffered with water on the brain (Hydrocephelus ) I believe.This would be about 1947/8 ish,I later worked with Brian and Maureen at Clarkes Cables in St. Clements Road about 1960.I bumped into Derrick aka Tinker in Stechford Social W.M.C. about 1975.He married a local girl and moved to Chelmsley Wood just after.I hope this snippet helps.

Hi Annette

Have just come across this post, 'Iris' who first posted regarding the Elstons and Broadheads is from my Nan, have put two and two together after googling family history myself and came across this post. She never seen you replied back i'm sure she would like to hear from you. Iris married my grandad Ray Green. Hope you are still a member too and recieve this message before another 5 years passes :)

Hi Annette

Have just come across this post, 'Iris' who first posted regarding the Elstons and Broadheads is from my Nan, have put two and two together after googling family history myself and came across this post. She never seen you replied back i'm sure she would like to hear from you. Iris married my grandad Ray Green. Hope you are still a member too and recieve this message before another 5 years passes :)
Hello, my husband's dad was Walter 'Wally' Elston. .his Aunty was Sis and Uncle George. Also a Uncle Brian. l did my husbands family tree, if you see this message after all this time, please feel free to ask any family tree questions.

My Dad was a Elston from Nechells , there was Walter (wally ) Violet (sissy ) Ronald. Albert (john /Titch) that was my dad and Iris , my gran i am sure her surname was broadhead before she married Grandad Elston and after he passed away she married Mr Cooke they had children called David, derick, maureen,Brian and carol who sadly passed away as a child , i hope that you get this message as i can see your request is quite old , would love to hear from you x
My husbands dad is the Walter' Wally ' Elston you mention. l have done my husband's family tree, so if you see this reply after all this time, please feel free if you would like to know more about the Elstons family tree.

My husbands dad is the Walter' Wally ' Elston you mention. l have done my husband's family tree, so if you see this reply after all this time, please feel free if you would like to know more about the Elstons family tree.
Hi. I have a Walter Aaron Elston in my family tree (1880-1905) - married Ada Bache…. but my research so far seems to indicate he only had 2 daughters. Is this your Walter?

There is a Walter Elston mmn Bache, reg. Mar qtr 1903. He dies in 1939 and it seems likely he is the parson mentioned by paris.

He is with his mom and step father on Charles Arthur St in 1921.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the prompt reply MWS! How do you see the 1921 info? I didn’t think there was a census to reference that year…. And what names do you gave for mother and step father please?

Thanks so much for the prompt reply MWS! How do you see the 1921 info? I didn’t think there was a census to reference that year…. And what names do you gave for mother and step father please?

The 1921 census is available on findmypast (a subscription needed).

Step father listed as John Enos Shelley, mother Ada Kate. Two sisters - Ada Gladys and Violet - and 4 step siblings - Edith, Albert, Enos and Norman.

Walter appears to be listed as a visitor of his mother's cousin in 1911 - Joseph Whitehouse, the son of Catherine Malone, the sister of Ada's mother Alice.

The 1921 census is available on findmypast (a subscription needed).

Step father listed as John Enos Shelley, mother Ada Kate. Two sisters - Ada Gladys and Violet - and 4 step siblings - Edith, Albert, Enos and Norman.
I have a missing Walter!? Walter does not appear in the 1911 census with his mother and stepfather (Enos & Ada Kate), just Ada Gladys & Violet and a stepsister. In the 1901, Ada Kate is living with her 1st husband Walter Elston and their new born daughter Ada Gladys. No sign a a son.
As husband Walter died in 1905, I figured Ada Gladys and Violet were the only offspring. Are you able to give me an idea of the birthdate of the Walter in the 1921 census, please? I will have to try and find his birth record....

Walter's birth was reg. Mar qtr 1903 Aston. Death reg. Jun qtr 1939.

As mentioned above Walter is with relatives in 1911.

Sorry, I misunderstood that the 1903 date related to Walter and Ada's marriage. I can see now that Walter is born between Ada Gladys and Violet and as he wasn't on the census I'd completely missed him! Apologies for getting you to repeat.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back