• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

ELO while working on my PC

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
Working hard on stuff today and I've been going through "My Music" I have on the computer. This LP, "Out of the Blue" (whoops, showing my age!) has been on most of the afternoon. It's still up there for me with UB40, loads of Ska, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Ry Cooder, MJQ and lots more.
I'd like to remind you, if needed, to salute this great Brummie band.

https://youtu.be/5LnPnbhyjGc

Wonderful David, Jeff Lynn is one of the nicest men I have met. He seemed so unafected by all the stuff that went on in the early 70's. His main interest was his music I often wondered where the song Blackberry Way came from. I lived in Blackberry Lane...

Nice one Wendy. Trouble with listening to music on YouTube is you leave off the work and just keep following links. I'm on The Eagles at the moment!

David, my blue vinyl, Out Of The Blue album, personally signed by members of ELO is one of my most treasured possessions, I still love the music..and always will... :)

Wendy, I was told as a youngster that The Moves song, Blackberry Way, written by Roy Wood, was named with a road,.. close to where I grew up,.. in mind. The road was/is called Brackleys Way..how true this is though, I don't know.

Lindyloo I don't know either. Roy lived at a magnificent house on Rosemary Hill Road as I remeber a stones throw from where I grew up in Blackberry Lane maybe a mix of the two. Someone may have the answer.

Quite possibly a mix Wendy, but Blackberry Lane would seem more likely as he lived nearby..as I remember one of The Applejacks lived not far from Brackleys Way in a road I used to live in and I think I read somewhere there was a link between Roy Wood and them at one point ...hmmm, Ive just had a thought..I will ask an old friend of mine if he knows.. bear with me..

Legend has it that the song was originally going to be 'Blackberry Lane', but was changed to 'Blackberry Way' as it's difficult to find much that rhymes with 'Lane'.....at least, that's what I've heard.

I've also heard that the song was a main reason why The Move broke up, as it was considered by at least one member of the band to be too dark and depressing, even though it made Number One. Anyway, whatever the stories, it's a great number to listen to and to play.

Big Gee

I am sure you are right Big Gee I seem to remember Jeff commenting on where I lived with a wry smile.

Am I correct in thinking that The Move's "Flowers In The Rain" was the very first record played on Radio 1?

Big Gee

It certainly was on Tony Blackburns opening show. Not that I am a fan...ha ha!

Back