• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Elmdon, Marston Hall And Bickenhill Village Surrounds

Dennis Williams

Gone but not forgotten
I am researching this Marston and Hurdle Hall.jpeg old area round Sheldon, Marston Green, Bickenhill and Hampton....and on this 1889 Map, there are two Halls that I'd never heard of....and nothing much on the internet about them.....might anyone have any info, and especially pictures of Marston Hall, and Hurdle Hall? Many thanks for your indulgence.....

On reflectio, I was an apprentice at a firm called E. J. Skinner, in Vulcan road Solihull. One of the directors was a Mr Thomas, he was said to live at Marston Hall. I was there from 1956 to 1960 when the firm was bought out by a firm in Kenilworth.

Hurdle Hall in the 1920s was owned by the Cattell family. Horace Cattell of Wates, Cattel and Gurdon was part of a major milk contracting company. Viv.

Attachments

• CA96C56D-3B3D-46F8-9227-8CB9494BDE70.jpeg
    CA96C56D-3B3D-46F8-9227-8CB9494BDE70.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 22
I am researching this View attachment 115352 old area round Sheldon, Marston Green, Bickenhill and Hampton....and on this 1889 Map, there are two Halls that I'd never heard of....and nothing much on the internet about them.....might anyone have any info, and especially pictures of Marston Hall, and Hurdle Hall? Many thanks for your indulgence.....
I know this may be a little late but these pictures are taken from an auction catalogue of 1919
P1000219.JPG P1000229.JPG P1000228.JPG (With thanks to Morturn)

The associated farm also owned by Horace Cattell had been sold by 1933. The farm was opposite the Clock Inn. Viv
Thank you so much for these, I had recently "found" an advert for this milk contracting companyand read that there was a family connection. This ties it together nicely.

I am researching this View attachment 115352 old area round Sheldon, Marston Green, Bickenhill and Hampton....and on this 1889 Map, there are two Halls that I'd never heard of....and nothing much on the internet about them.....might anyone have any info, and especially pictures of Marston Hall, and Hurdle Hall? Many thanks for your indulgence.....
Wonderful, Both Halls are clearly shown here, and they are pretty close to each other. Seems the Airport and NEC were built on my ancestors doorstep.

Sorry, very late to this thread. I came here looking for information on Marston Hall, home to my great grand aunt Harriet Carter/Cattell. I am not sure when this card dates from - she married Herbert John Cattell in 1877 and possibly moved there then but the farm is only named Marston Hall on the 1901 census; I had thought she lived there until she died in 1932 but now think they must have been the ones selling it in 1919. Anyway, for those interested, this is a different view of the house.

Attachments

• Marston Hall, Harriet and Herbert Cattell.jpg
    Marston Hall, Harriet and Herbert Cattell.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Back