• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Elmdon Airport

Airport booklet 1965. The history is interesting as it shows that central (London) government didn't (still doesn't!) see the need for 'regional' international airports. I recall a House of Lords committee saying that they wanted LHR to remain 'the world's busiest airport'. Also a BA passenger survey at LHR which when asked how they could improve things I said, "Fly from somewhere else!", having driven over 100 miles just so I could fly to Edinburgh.

Attachments

• bcap1.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • bcap2a.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • bcap2b.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • bcap3.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Yes of course the BCT airport service ran beyond the boundary, i had forgotten that one.

I have somewhere a photograph of a trolleybus at the boundary terminus which was also known locally
as Tigers Island.

I don't remember there being any tigers in Arden Oak Road, but Olorenshaw and Sheldonfield now that's another matter.
For those with an interest in Tigers Island below is the entry for an auction in 1919.
P1000213 (2).JPG

P1000222.JPG

Unfortunately there isn't a photograph of the cottages.

The Corporation buses which ran to the Airport were not an official BCT route. They were operated on behalf of BEA who held the licence for the service. There was a trolley bus route which did cross the boundary to go to the Rover Works but this was a wartime emergency service which was handed over to the Midland Red after the war.

This information is probably in the Trolley Bus thread. However, as a refresher I mention that only two routes in the UK were built under the Emergency Powers Act of 1939, a tram route in Liverpool and the Lode Lane service to Lode Lane. This was opened in 1941 from the Wheatsheaf along Hobs Moat Road and Lode Lane. As Midland Red were undergoing difficulties due to fuel shortages it was considered the better option. Initially a Rover works service only in December 1942 became an hourly service for anyone. Route numbers were 96 from Albert Street and 97 from Station Street.. The trolley services closed down on June 1951, the last Station Street one was on 29th.and on 30th. the last from Albert Street were by OC 1145 (45) quickly followed by COX 73 (73). FOK 90 (90) followed with officials on board.

Just as a matter of interest,my grandfather ..Frederick Gilks was the driver of FOK 90 on that day in June 1951.He retired immediately after ,and was very proud to have driven that last trip.

The Corporation buses which ran to the Airport were not an official BCT route. They were operated on behalf of BEA who held the licence for the service. There was a trolley bus route which did cross the boundary to go to the Rover Works but this was a wartime emergency service which was handed over to the Midland Red after the war.
bus004.jpg
Airport bus arriving at the main terminal building (from 1962 airport booklet). Single-deckers in BCT colours were relatively rare in those days mostly appearing for things like school services, i.e. not operating omnibus traffic. As David said this service ran under contract to BEA, hence no route number and the extra notice boards above the side windows.
Unrelated but I remember single-decker green-liveried buses that ran to Rover Lode Lane from Coventry. I think that was a private service going back to war-time when Coventry-based Rover first opened the shadow factory in Solihull.

Radiorails made some interesting comments about the airport service here.

For the bus fans this was a Leyland Olympic HR40 with Weymann body, one of five, 2261-2265, built in 1951. There is another photo here of the same bus at the city terminal where it can be seen that the bus has folding front doors and 'trafficator' indicators. The side notices read 'Air Services Bus - City Air Terminal and Elmdon Airport', the destination blind reads 'Elmdon Airport', not 'Airport' as here. That photo claims to have been taken in 1960.

Last edited:
View attachment 137117
Airport bus arriving at the main terminal building (from 1962 airport booklet). Single-deckers in BCT colours were relatively rare in those days mostly appearing for things like school services, i.e. not operating omnibus traffic. As David said this service ran under contract to BEA, hence no route number and the extra notice boards above the side windows.
Unrelated but I remember single-decker green-liveried buses that ran to Rover Lode Lane from Coventry. I think that was a private service going back to war-time when Coventry-based Rover first opened the shadow factory in Solihull.

Radiorails made some interesting comments about the airport service here.
Five people getting off the bus one woman looks to be wearing a full length leather coat the other all wearing light colored clothes no doubt of to some far away place
That building looks new but ugly
The best looking thing is the bus it has stood the test of time

Last edited:
I hope you didn't mean the building in my avatar looks ugly bob, built and opened in 1939 !
Ha Ha not at all, the building looks like support columns for a flyover with walls added all very modern but concrete walls no details may as well be a visiting room for a low level security prison, just missing the guards at the rails.
i never really liked going to the airport it never had a good vibe for me.

Last edited:
Airport booklet 1965. The history is interesting as it shows that central (London) government didn't (still doesn't!) see the need for 'regional' international airports. I recall a House of Lords committee saying that they wanted LHR to remain 'the world's busiest airport'. Also a BA passenger survey at LHR which when asked how they could improve things I said, "Fly from somewhere else!", having driven over 100 miles just so I could fly to Edinburgh.
some great pics from yester year some of that seating is now worth a few bob.

Ha Ha not at all, the building looks like support columns for a flyover with walls added all very modern but concrete walls no details may as well be a visiting room for a low level security prison, just missing the guards at the rails.
i never really liked going to the airport it never had a good vibe for me.
Obviously that is not Florence ADMX you are thinking about as a comparison, although I often think most airports bear a similarity to prisons. Very difficult to get out of, but back to the theme these buses were very much helped in their good looks by the BCT colours and the chrome stripping. I was interested to note that the building was opened in 1939, it looks much more modern and post war than that. Have you noticed none of them have luggage. Was this just a publicity shot, that could be Herr Flick in the Leather coat and drag and the chap in the glasses is certainly entranced by the lady flasher coming towards him, meanwhile the chap behind her is struggling to get his gun out.............to much caffeine and an uncontrollable imagination. Again a question, who designed the building and who were the builders?

Bob

Surely you don't mean the main entrance to the 1939 Art Deco terminal? Said to have been based on the terminal at Berlin Templehof but I don't see it myself.
That entrance to me does not look like the gateway to far flung places with exotic food and drink
I did look at a picture that shows the whole front and I still think the entrance is awful.
Now when I look at the whole front of the building the only thing missing is Hitler leaning against the railing and banging his fist, having read your post and the reference to Berlin just confirms my thoughts yesterday after looking up the building
Now the interior and the glass wall at the rear looking out over the planes and airfield that's the money shot, that what you want to see.

Obviously that is not Florence ADMX you are thinking about as a comparison, although I often think most airports bear a similarity to prisons. Very difficult to get out of, but back to the theme these buses were very much helped in their good looks by the BCT colours and the chrome stripping. I was interested to note that the building was opened in 1939, it looks much more modern and post war than that. Have you noticed none of them have luggage. Was this just a publicity shot, that could be Herr Flick in the Leather coat and drag and the chap in the glasses is certainly entranced by the lady flasher coming towards him, meanwhile the chap behind her is struggling to get his gun out.............to much caffeine and an uncontrollable imagination. Again a question, who designed the building and who were the builders?

Bob
I could get on that bus right now with a flask of tea and cheese and onion sarney and ride it all the way like a 12 year old to Western Super Mud

Oh well bob, your entitled to your opinion regards the lovely art deco building.
Judging by the past responses on this forum, and the number of folk who signed the petition to save it from being demolished 5400 I think perhaps you may be in the minority.
The architects were Norman and Dawbarn, and I think it was built by Dares of Birmingham, can someone confirm that for me.
The two wings were designed to give cover to the passengers in inclement weather.
The aircraft were a lot smaller in those early days.

The architects were Norman and Dawbarn, and I think it was built by Dares of Birmingham, can someone confirm that for me.
"By January 1937, Norman and Dawbarn had been authorised to finalise the design drawings, which appear to have been completed by June 1937. In October that year Holst and Co. Ltd. were appointed for the reinforced concrete construction work, with Richard Crittall and Co. Ltd. for the panel heating system, and Henry Hall and Son Ltd. for the metal windows. The entire expenditure on the project would amount to around £360,000. " [From Historic England]

"By January 1937, Norman and Dawbarn had been authorised to finalise the design drawings, which appear to have been completed by June 1937. In October that year Holst and Co. Ltd. were appointed for the reinforced concrete construction work, with Richard Crittall and Co. Ltd. for the panel heating system, and Henry Hall and Son Ltd. for the metal windows. The entire expenditure on the project would amount to around £360,000. " [From Historic England]
Lovely little read interesting article on the seed of the building along with the history.
It was nice to see that a lot of travel was involved to help in the decision of the final look 360,000.00 lot of money back then.

I am just thinking that there might have been an error in the Historic England report. I don't know the name Henry Hall and Son Ltd but then the building was built many years before I was born. I was thinking that that it should be Henry Hope and Sons Ltd, metal window manufacturers who used to be in Halfords Lane in Smethwick

Last edited:
I am just thinking that there might have been an error in the Historic England report. I don't know the name Henry Hallo and Son Ltd but then the building was built many years before I was born. I was thinking that that it should be Henry Hope and Sons Ltd, metal window manufacturers who used to be in Halfords Lane in Smethwick
Sounds plausible. If anyone has the time to get access it might be worth trying http://calmview.birmingham.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=MS+1056

One for the aviation experts. The air traffic at the moment is drastically reduced, but I noticed two gliders operating to the SE. What is needed for a glider flight? Do they have to communicate with air traffic control, are there any safety measures needed to be in place for take off and landing?

Back