• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Elmdon Airport

Passengers just alighted from a British Midland Dakota reg G-ANTD in the mid 1960s. If your seat was at the front in a Dakota there was an 'uphill' climb to get to it. Those passengers may not have known that the aircraft they had just flown in was built in 1944 for the United States Army Air Force, and saw some service in the Royal Air Force until the early 1950s.
View attachment 121145
First flight was in a Dakota in 1959. Blackpool to the Isle of Man with Silver City Airways. I remember the uphill climb to our seats as we sat by the wing. Air hostess handed out barley sugar sweets and little packets of cotton wool for your ears. Realised why once the engines started. The noise was deafening.

Another photo of Valetta VW 197 in 1969. It was not the most elegant aircraft but it was a shame that in 1971 it was sold for scrap and cut into pieces for transport to a scrapyard. More info in posts#370 and 371.

Attachments

• Valetta_Elmdon1969.jpg
    Valetta_Elmdon1969.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 13
Whilst I was serving in the RAF we flew back from West Africa (Gold Coast) in 1951 in a Huntings Airways charter a/c, a Viking, hard to tell the difference between that and a Valetta, apart from the Viking does not come to a point at the fuselage rear. Never found out why the RAF used civilian charter instead of Transport Command who took us out there

Hi Eric, below is a short film of a Viking aircraft. It is an old Movietone News film with has one of those typical commentaries which remind me of the 1950s. It says the Viking only carried 24 passengers.
oldmohawk

The yellow DH82A Tigers were maybe from the Royal Navy (FAA) basic training unit that was based at Elmdon.

I thought it was difficult to tell the difference between a Varsity and a Valetta...

Hi badpenny,
The Varsity was similar but had a tricyle undercarriage. I posted about them and put a pic in the National Service thread
Hi Smudger - The only one I can remember at the moment is the Vickers Varsity. The 'bump' had windows at the front and was used for training bomb aimers. We had Varsitys at RAF Topcliffe and if you had a friendly pilot he would let you lie in the 'bump' for a magnificent view of North Yorkshire.
View attachment 91609
index.php

image from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/national-service.513/page-41#post-519617

th
There is very little difference between a Viking , shown here and a Varsity cookie. Its just one is for the military. The RAF often gave a different name to there civilian counterpart. The only area that is slightly different is extra cockpit glazing at the top.

I remember the yellow Tiger moths flying around
Do you recall seeing a Chipmunk on occasions doing aerobatics over where Hatchford Brook golf course is. Regular air traffic then was mainly Viscounts and Vanguards. Don't know if it was permitted then. Certainly wouldn't be allowed now!

oldMohawk & Eldom Boy, thanks for info, they must have been short range to, we had a refuel stop at Gao in the middle of Sahara desert (manned by Foreign Legion) then at Gibraltar were we stayed overnight then a final refuel at Bordeaux before landing at Black Bush, London, your modern jet would do that in one go, theres progress for you. So the Varsity, Viking and Valetta were almost identical ? Eric

The Vickers Viking was a tough old aircraft and survived a bomb explosion during a flight from Northolt to Paris in 1950. The bomb blew two large 8' x 4' holes on each side of the fuselage. There were 27 passengers and 4 crew on board. The flight attendant was severely injured and several passengers pulled her away from the gaping hole. The pilot managed to fly the aircraft back to Northolt and safely land on the second attempt.
There was a Newsreel report about it below ...

Last edited:
oldMohawk & Eldom Boy, thanks for info, they must have been short range to, we had a refuel stop at Gao in the middle of Sahara desert (manned by Foreign Legion) then at Gibraltar were we stayed overnight then a final refuel at Bordeaux before landing at Black Bush, London, your modern jet would do that in one go, theres progress for you. So the Varsity, Viking and Valetta were almost identical ? Eric

There is a rumour going around that the old Elmdon terminal building has been the subject of a structural survey.

The word is that its days are numbered...

There is a rumour going around that the old Elmdon terminal building has been the subject of a structural survey.

The word is that its days are numbered...

It quite recently had a fresh coat of white paint to its front exterior, and I noticed the clock was displaying the right time, or was that just by chance being the right time twice a day. Photo taken two weeks ago.
It is still used as offices, but the old control tower on the top is in a bad way with water coming in from the ceiling. It is also a listed building, for whatever protection that gives it. So who knows.

That's bad news badpenny, such an iconic building. It would be a travesty if it was demolished. Business has no sense of history, but then money talks. Seems a shame that listed status can be so easily overturned.

Apparently they are considering building another terminal on that side of the airfield, the infrastructure is still in place.

Not quite sure where the cargo flights would be handled though.

Its part of some master plan which has yet to be formally unveiled to the wider world.

Seems a pity they couldn't utilise the existing frontage though as they do in other building projects...

I took a few flying lessons with Warwick Aero Centre in a Piper Tomohawk, they were based by the old terminal, forgot exactly where, was over 2o years ago. Eric

If i remember correctly there were two companies offering flight training, Mid-fly and Warwickshire Aero club.

Just to bring those interested an update on the Elmdon terminal building.

A frozen boiler has led to extensive flood damage and the building has been formally vacated and is now padlocked
pending a decision on its future, which at this moment doesn't look good.

What a shame, my father worked for Bryants who built the airport 1934 t0 1939, all the workers were invited to the opening, my Dad took me, cannot remember much about it though, I was only 9, seem to remember it was a dull wet day and I think (not sure !) a Dragon Rapide was the 1st a/c. Eric

Just to bring those interested an update on the Elmdon terminal building.

A frozen boiler has led to extensive flood damage and the building has been formally vacated and is now padlocked
pending a decision on its future, which at this moment doesn't look good.

How many times in 80 years of operation has the boiler frozen?

Case of neglect and then justify demolition because its not economical to repair?

How many times in 80 years of operation has the boiler frozen?

Case of neglect and then justify demolition because its not economical to repair?

What a travesty if this turns out to be true. There is no sense of history. What an iconic and beautiful building, do you members agree with me, or am I biased.
If it happens I would feel a part of me and my youth has gone with it. I would certainly shed a tear.
Oh please let it not happen.

Surely something needs to happen to save the old airport terminal building. When I go over to the UK I usually get the bus from the existing arrivals to Solihull and the road goes over towards the old terminal. Always brings back memories.

Back