• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Elmdon Airport

Avolon

proper brummie kid
My Dad worked at the Elmdon Airport when Nikita Khrushchev came to Birmingham
Attached is a Photo of Khrushchev arriving at the airport, my Dad is also in the photo
Does anyone know what year it was

Hi Avolon,
Great photo. Mr. Bulganin and Mr. Krushchev, visited the United Kingdom from the 18th to the 27th of April 1956. They came to B'ham to visit the British Industries Fair at Castle Bromwich. I remember that year, I was called up for National Service in the RAF
oldmohawk

Graham
nice bit of info on the plane

oldmohawk
Thanks, I've been trying to find out when my Father joined the Airport Staff
and that date helps a lot

We moved from Aston(Queens Rd) to Sheldon (Goldthorne Avnue) in 1935 when I was 5 so my father, who was a carpenter with Bryants the builders, could be near the proposed Eldom airport, which they completed just before the war in 1939. I vaguely remember the opening day was a dismal day. Some aeroplane landed and some celebrity of the day opened it. Does anybody know who the celebritywas and what type of Aircraft ??? I was only 9 at the time so its all a bit vague

Eric, thanks very much, that answered all my queries about the airport and more, particularly about the Lancaster as I was a wireless operator on the last lancaster squadron in 1949, 82(PR) Squadron in Africa doing aerial surveying, they were out there 7 years surveying and mapping all the British colonies of the time. One of the Lancasters was returned to the UK, restored to war time regalia and is now part of the memorial flight. Thanks again. Eric Cook

Thanks Eric for that interesting link. I used to fly with GKN's 'airline', which was based at Elmdon. One day in the early 80's we left Elmdon in clear weather in a 'Kingair' to Sweden where it was -26 when we landed. Coming back, Britain had been blanketed with snow heavier than forecast, and the pilots couldn't get responses about weather from very busy airports. They even listened to Radio 2 for a weather report! Jimmy Young was on saying most of the UK was at a standstill. Eventually the pilots contacted Elmdon but it was closed, Heathrow and other big airports etc wouldn't accept us, we looked at Dublin - too much crosswind, Amsterdam was full.
As we circled over the Midlands, the pilots looked slightly worried and said we had to take a chance with East Midlands airport which was closing, but would let us have a try at our discretion. So down we went and landed on a snow covered runway.
Good old Elmdon more fun than BHX
:)

Last edited:
another view of elmdon Graham nice link with the plane but think I will stay on terra firma thanks and especially after what OM said :D its all right for him being a skater lol

Last edited:
oldM, I was also thinking along those lines that if that Viscount had been brought down with Khrushchev on board we would have had WW III on our hands!

Thanks Tom, I did a lot of 'spotting' at Elmdon in the 50's & 60's. Made my first flight there too in the 50's for 10/- in a DH Dragon Rapide.

Graham.

Actually OM if you really think about that plane coming down with Kruschev and co on board the history of the world would be very different today sobering thought... but reading your link Graham if I read it right the Plane was in collision with another plane? now gonna look at OM s link:)

Hi, OtherHalf, Great pic of the old terminal, just built by the look of it.
I did post sometime ago about an airshow at Elmdon
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/elmdon-airport.23054/page-6#post-451040
It's hard to describe the sight and noise of 3 fighter jets racing at very low level round the local countryside to the finishing line at the airport. As a teenager I loved it, but some people had to be treated by St John's for shock and fright. It a wonder we survived those dangerous mad days of the 40's and 50's. Also during Krushchev's visit, I seem to remember we lost a navy diver having a look at the bottom of the Russian ship which B & K came in.

Last edited:
I find myself once again saying thankyou for photos! Happy memories of a Sunday out, watching the planes from the look out tower - before the days of the need for heightened security!
Used to walk from the Arden Oak bus terminus! Walk back via Bickenhall lane, and feeding the horses - then I remember fields? Now the area is preserved as an open garden for the public, I believe.
Jan :)

Just going back to the visit of Kruschev and co have found some 13 prints on a blackcountry link (while looking for something else) dated 23 April 1956 will have a look when I go to Dudley archives:)

We always went to the Childrens Christmas Party's at the airport, my father was the man who did the entertainment. The highlight for me was watching Father Christmas arrive by Plane.

Does anyone else remember going to the party's at the airport

How many of you remember this, I have to be honest I don't. I never even got to Birmingham Airport until 1973, and then I was only flying to Jersey.

Phil

Attachments

• Elmdon B-Ham Airport Destination Sign .jpg
    Elmdon B-Ham Airport Destination Sign .jpg
    240 KB · Views: 83
I remember the sign, somwhere deep in my memory, but not where exactly it was situated.
Jan

Hi Avolon

My Uncle worked at the Airport in the 1950s
Have you anymore photos of the Airport with airport workers on, or have you any photos of the Christmas Parties

Jackie

Back