• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Elmdon Airport

Sort of, if i remember correctly Damson Lane was beyond the turning for the original Elmdon aerodrome
the road opposite the old entrance is now Damson Parkway.

The Clock PH was a good way further on towards Meriden and was probably opposite where the current
entrance is today.

Mind i say today, i haven't been there for over twenty years and i understand that the A45 now deviates
from its original route as i would remember it.

Concorde at Birmingham Airport September 1980

Attachments

• 341F43D2-B457-45DB-A655-78C25F00756B.jpeg
    341F43D2-B457-45DB-A655-78C25F00756B.jpeg
    431 KB · Views: 14
Sort of, if i remember correctly Damson Lane was beyond the turning for the original Elmdon aerodrome
the road opposite the old entrance is now Damson Parkway.

The Clock PH was a good way further on towards Meriden and was probably opposite where the current
entrance is today.

Mind i say today, i haven't been there for over twenty years and i understand that the A45 now deviates
from its original route as i would remember it.
Of course, my error. The Clock was opposite Bickenhill Lane.

Birmingham City flying from Elmdon airport to play in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup semi final replay match against Barcelona. 25th November 1957.

Attachments

• 9C8F695A-84B5-4580-A694-B5ACBFED19D2.jpeg
    9C8F695A-84B5-4580-A694-B5ACBFED19D2.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 15
Try this link

Covroad, My Father worked for Bryants and on completion of Airport all employers and their families where invited to opening early 1939 which my Father took us to, I was nearly 9 at the time and cannot remember much about it expect it was the first time I had seen an aeroplane. I'm now 92. Eric

Covroad, My Father worked for Bryants and on completion of Airport all employers and their families where invited to opening early 1939 which my Father took us to, I was nearly 9 at the time and cannot remember much about it expect it was the first time I had seen an aeroplane. I'm now 92. Eric
Hello Eric,
That is a wonderful memory of your visit to the original Elmdon airport, thank you very much for sharing the story.
I assume it is the Bryant's builders of Whitmore Road Small Heath you are talking about, I recall their office halfway down Whitmore Rd on the right off Coventry rd the office and yard looked like a normal house with bay window.

Oh how much you have seen and the transformation of so many things, good & bad! Bless you Eric!

The cover page of the programme of the opening of Elmdon Airport (source content government.com)

Attachments

• CF293F98-D336-48E9-A447-BEFBB25A6131.jpeg
    CF293F98-D336-48E9-A447-BEFBB25A6131.jpeg
    499.9 KB · Views: 13
Front page of the Birmingham Post 2018,

Attachments

• B1DB3B8D-80D9-4A17-B9FE-58C5F0E4C062.jpeg
    B1DB3B8D-80D9-4A17-B9FE-58C5F0E4C062.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 21
Terenceskipp, My first flight from Elmdon was also on a Viscount on a holiday with my Wife to Tunisia, about 1979. Although I did clock up over 6000 hours in the RAF 1948/56 as an aircrew wireless operator in Lancasters, Sunderlands , Hastings and the like. Eric

Back in those days I used to buy the 'Flight' magazine and a few years ago I wanted to find the dates of the amazing air displays I had been to as a youngster. I eventually found the the web site below but it is not easy to search.
https://www.flightglobal.com/
I notice the abandoned airfield is in an aerial view of Hockley Heath taken in 1953.
https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW050010
The image in post#268 is from Google Earth.
where exactly is the airfield ?
It is about 4 miles south of Solihull and information here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Hockley_Heath
The pic below is a 1945 aerial view.
View attachment 117341
its not that obvious that its an airfield and there are no buildings to suggest an airfield , im not disputing the site but id have expected some sort of building

Some look more confident than others. Looks like leather seating so probably comfortable, although they're very tightly packed.

Screenshot_20231231_103625_Chrome.jpg

Source : British Newspaper Archive

Back