• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Elmdon Airport

Did Austin make planes before WWII, got a feeling they may have.
Yes Tim, the Austin Whippet biplane built in 1919. Only 5 were built
There is a replica of it in the South Yorkshire Air Museum in Doncaster.

whippetad.jpg

Last edited:
Decided to update Elmdon (BHX) in my Flight Sim today. Took a Microlight up to have a look ... the runway and aprons are correct but an airport with no car parks ! The runway extension shows with the Coventry Rd curved around it but the scenery auto gen has built loads of houses around the airport !
BHXSim.jpg
The real view with the car parks etc and only fields south of Coventry Rd.
BHXReal.jpg

Last edited:
Saw this view walking past the Holiday Inn on the Coventry Road. There is now a walking route to a viewing point around the Coventry Road semi circle. Is a pelican crossing. The path goes onto Catherine-de-Barnes for walkers or cyclists.

thanks mort...the news that this lovely building is now grade 2 listed is i hope a step forward to getting it back to its former glory...i have enjoyed many a drink in its public lounge during the 70s:) of course back then i never appreciated the historical significance of the building...

lyn

Last edited:
It was featured on the BBC News this morning:

Listed status for airport terminal in Birmingham
Historic England has awarded a 1930s airport building Grade II listed status.

The Elmdon terminal at Birmingham Airport opened in 1939 and closed to passengers in 1984 during a decade in which Concorde was welcomed.

It is among several buildings on Wednesday to help take The National Heritage List for England to 400,000 entries.

Historic England said the terminal was recognised for a "playful" design intended "to be an experience for passengers and spectators alike".

It was featured on the BBC News this morning:

Listed status for airport terminal in Birmingham
Historic England has awarded a 1930s airport building Grade II listed status.

The Elmdon terminal at Birmingham Airport opened in 1939 and closed to passengers in 1984 during a decade in which Concorde was welcomed.

It is among several buildings on Wednesday to help take The National Heritage List for England to 400,000 entries.

Historic England said the terminal was recognised for a "playful" design intended "to be an experience for passengers and spectators alike".

Link to BBC with short video, along with Raleigh Building in Nottingham.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-45258581

Do bear in mind that list it does not mean its saved, as i know only too well.

absolutely true mort...unfortunately we can still only wait...it is amazing just how many people think that listed buildings are safe forever

lyn

I think bringing it to peoples attention and in the media is oftern a good way forward

Absolutely great news !

A big thank you to Baedit for all his hard work to get the building listed. As others have said, there’s more work to be done. So let’s continue to give our support where we can. If there’s specific help needed Baedit, please let member’s know. Thanks all. Viv.

Great news, but as you say its not safe.
What actually does grade 2 listed mean then, and what needs to happen to make it absolutely safe?
In what way is it now safer then before?

Back