• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Elmdon Airport

Yes of course the BCT airport service ran beyond the boundary, i had forgotten that one.

I have somewhere a photograph of a trolleybus at the boundary terminus which was also known locally
as Tigers Island.

I don't remember there being any tigers in Arden Oak Road, but Olorenshaw and Sheldonfield now that's another matter.

Yes of course the BCT airport service ran beyond the boundary, i had forgotten that one.

I have somewhere a photograph of a trolleybus at the boundary terminus which was also known locally
as Tigers Island.

I don't remember there being any tigers in Arden Oak Road, but Olorenshaw and Sheldonfield now that's another matter.
If you can post the photo at Arden Oak on the Trolleybus thread I think many will appreciate it badpenny.

Did anybody read this link I put up on post 487. I did highlite it for Baedit, but does anybody else have any thoughts.
Its about registering the building as a listed building. If Elmdons terminal has not been listed before, is this possibly a road to go down. I expect Baedit has already looked into this.
Note this would also be a road to go down for any other buildings we might think fit for listing.
https://historicengland.org.uk/listi...y-for-listing/

I have read that listing of the building was not considered or welcomed as it could have impeded further development at BHX.

Did anybody read this link I put up on post 487. I did highlite it for Baedit, but does anybody else have any thoughts.
Its about registering the building as a listed building. If Elmdons terminal has not been listed before, is this possibly a road to go down. I expect Baedit has already looked into this.
Note this would also be a road to go down for any other buildings we might think fit for listing.
https://historicengland.org.uk/listi...y-for-listing/
Indeed I have made an application a week or two ago, not sure if anyone else has? The word on the street is that the building is in the way for airport development and is in no fit state to be saved however with some imagination I'm sure it could be incorporated into any future plans. I hope our children don't look at the ild pictures in the future and ask why we didn't protect it.

Baedit, thanks for making an application. Surely it would then be up to Heritage England to decide whether its worthy of listed status, not the developers who of course would consider it not worth saving. It wouldn't be in there interests to think any other way. There are some WW2 control towers that are derelict, but have listed status, and there nowhere near as significant or rare as Elmdons building. Baedit please keep us in touch with any developments on this.
This would apply to any worthy building anywhere.
What happens to the petition list, is it presented to any influential body like English Heritage, surely that would add weight to any application. Its at a very significant number now, well done to all that have signed, if you haven't yet please do.

KEEP ON SIGNING TO SAVE ELMDON
https://www.change.org/p/birmingham...ontext=signature_receipt&recruiter=463162958&

Quick update:
5000+signatures :)
High profile people/organisations contacted :)
Last week we was told there was zero chance of a return to the building and that the airport board would not approve any further funding for the building :-(
This week the same people are suggesting a return for tennants is a real possibility by Christmas :-/
I heard an application for listed status may have put a spanner in the works :)
I still think the best possible use would be a museum/heritage centre plus restaurant, viewing areas etc however a return to the status quo would be a small victory at least...who knows...

This was probably the first visit of a Vanguard to Elmdon. I was there when it came in as a young spotter.
For the old spotters out there its reg was G-APEL.

Nice photo Stitcher. It would date before 1968 as a glass canopy was added to the hotel in August 1968. I personally don't think the canopy added anything to the building. In fact it seems to have obscured the tower. And the tower windows seem to have been bricked in. Pity. Viv.

IMG_0034.JPG

48 Yrs ago on the 13th of this month my wife and I proudly posed on those steps and under the canopy as newly weds. After being married at St.Giles church Sheldon we held our wedding reception there in what was then called The Excelsior Hotel, owned by Trust House Forte.

Congratulation for last tuesday James, I know so many people who did the same, family included.
My wife and i renewed our vows after 25 years and afterSt Giles we went the Arden Hotel a little further along the Coventry road.

1980s.jpg
I was a hackney carriage driver during the 80s but I worked nights so my cab would not be on this photo.

This is what all the work around the Elmdon Terminal Building has been all about then!

Attachments

• 01583891-0C5F-47CE-A2B4-4D7096A9E748.jpeg
    01583891-0C5F-47CE-A2B4-4D7096A9E748.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
It could be, but as the Austin Motor Co donated the cups I assume it was for motors. Viv.

Back