• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ellis N/Z

Annie

proper brummie kid
I'm being cheeky now, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

My G.Grandfather (Thomas Ellis) was born 1825. in Birmingham Warwick. Emigrited to N/Z don't know when. Married a Marian Cummings, had a son Thomas Ashley Ellis born on a sheep station called Ashley Gorge G.G. was the owner of the station. On the census of 1881 in England they are back home again, another son was born George F.Ellis he was 4 year old.

My problem is finding out G.Grandfathers mother and father,so many with the name Thomas Ellis were born at around 1825-6 in Warwick I could be tracing the wrong one. I've looked through the parish records on film etc still no help.

Hope you don't mind me asking again. Annie:wave:

Hi Annie I live about an Hours drive from Ashley Gorge, a really beautiful spot it is too. I have a photo of the area somewhere I'll look it out for you.

I know they would not be your relations, but my next door neighbours are named Ellis and my Ex doughter in law's partener is also named Ellis.

Pom :)

Hi Annie, as it was a public holiday here today,so instead of going to the beach we went out to the Gorge and took some pic's for you.
(If you would like copies PM me your email address and I will send them to you).
Many found that the isolation and the emptiness of areas in NZ were very hard to deal with, and that was one reason for them to return to England.
Here is the area where your ancestors emigrated to in the 1800's:
View attachment 11265 View attachment 11266
View attachment 11267 View attachment 11268
As you can see 'The Gorge is a popular swimming spot, the sign that my Grandson is pointing at is about half way between my home and 'The Gorge'.

Last edited:
Nice photos of the ''Gorge'' Pomogolian i live 10 minutes from a ''Gorge''Cheddar in Somerset :)

Ellis

Annie i have a Thomas Ellis in my tree b.1873 in Handsworth, he is my gt gt gt grandad. His father was also called Thomas b.1850 & his son was Thomas also b.1895 , again Handsworth. Its probably a bit of a long shot but if you would like any other details i'll be glad to help.
Laraine.

Mossy, Visited Cheddar Gorge last year while in the UK. :thumbsup:
Nostalgic reasons, went there on a school trip with Bloomsbury Girls in the 1960's as I'm sure many school kids from Brum did.

annie, This could be them.... the 'Clues' being (The Mother) Mary's maiden name was Fellows and the Boarder on the 1881 Census is also named Fallows.
Both Thomas and William also seem to come from 'Well off families' as defined by their occupations.
(Mis-transcribed, or phonic spelling on surnames as often happens on these records).

Household:1881
Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
Thomas ELLIS Head M Male 56 Birmingham, Warwick, England Retired Sheep Farmer
Marian ELLIS Wife M Female 33 Ireland Retired Sheep Farmers Wife
Thomas A. ELLIS Son U Male 10 New Zealand Retired Sheep Farmers Son
George F. ELLIS Son U Male 4 Birmingham, Warwick, England Retired Sheep Farmers Son
Emma HARTLE Serv U Female 20 Bromsgrove, Worcester, England Servant (Dom)
Ann HARTLE Serv U Female 15 Bromsgrove, Worcester, England Servant (Dom)
William FALLOWS Boarder U Male 39 Northfield, Worcester, England Solicitor In Practice

THOMAS ELLIS

Male
Marriages:
Spouse: MARY FELLOWS
Marriage: 10 JAN 1825 St Philip, Birmingham, Warwick, England

THOMAS ELLISS
Male
Birth:
Christening: 30 MAY 1825 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England
Parents:
Father: THOMAS ELLISS Family
Mother: MARY

Hope this helps, also I will look to see if there are any records at all, of the family while they were here in NZ.

Pom :angel:

Pom on a lighter note the photos are great mind you Oxford is bit close sure you are over there, if not I'm :stressed:

Back