• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ellen Street In Hockley

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Most of Ellen Street has been re-developed since Phyllis Nicklin took this photo in 1968
image.jpeg
Photograph of the corner between Ellen Street and Prescott Street in Hockley, a future development area, showing back-to-back houses built c. 1870s.

A snippet of its past remains on the section of the street near Pitsford Street. But was this a pub or a shop? Viv.image.jpeg

difficult on viv...could have been a pub or shop..i shall go for shop and most likely be wrong lol

lyn

image.jpeg Can't make my mind up Lyn. Could even have been a cafe. But there's this little rose (?) on the wall when you look closely at the sign. Or maybe it was a fixing for something, like a sign on a pole which fixed into it. Viv.

yes viv it could well have been a fitting for a sign...bit of a mystery at the min

image.jpeg I can just make out few traces of letters at the top of the sign but can't make any sense of it. Viv.

I think the "rose" was where a light came out, possibly originally a gas light. Teh c1950 OS map shows this as 27 Prescott St, which the 1950 Kellys gives as Chas. Kitchen, offlicence

Thanks Mike. The road seems to continue around the building in the photo in post #4 but now seems blocked off by the BS business premises. There is a lane on the other side onto Icknield Street. Does it show up on your map Mike as a continuance of Prentice Street? Another oddity of Streetview, when you drop the red arrow onto Ellen Street it refuses to take you to That part of Ellen Street! Viv.

thanks from me as well mike...viv ive never heard or seen a prentice st round there...prescott st yes...must look at my map to find it...

lyn

Lyn
I think Viv means Prescott st. The map c1955 (not 1950 as I said earlier) is below.
viv. Not sure what you mean by the red arrow (mine isn't red), but you cannot continue accross an area in streetview which has not been surveyed by them.You hav eto bo back to the view from the air and then swoop down on the other part of the road.

Attachments

• map c1955 showing Prescott st.jpg
    map c1955 showing Prescott st.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 17
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg ATTACH=full]105312[/ATTACH]

Now wondering how Prescott Street came to 'absorb' Ellen Street? The Phyllis Nicklin photo describes Ellen Street and Prescott Street existing as separate roads in 1968 but forming a junction.

And just out of interest, Prescott St appeared in some scenes for "Cathy Come Home" in 1966. Maybe Ellen Street/Prescott St can be seen somewhere on those stills? Stills taken from this site ihttps://www.reelstreets.com/index.php/component/films/?task=view&id=2238&film_ref=cathy_come_home&start=10

Viv.

The map shows Prescott st running across and Ellen st running down (though the name does not appear). When I said the building is named on the map as 27 Prescott St, I meant that the building , on the corner, was numbered as part of Prescott st , not Ellen St

View attachment 105310 View attachment 105311 View attachment 105313 ATTACH=full]105312[/ATTACH]

Now wondering how Prescott Street came to 'absorb' Ellen Street? The Phyllis Nicklin photo describes Ellen Street and Prescott Street existing as separate roads in 1968 but forming a junction.

And just out of interest, Prescott St appeared in some scenes for "Cathy Come Home" in 1966. Maybe Ellen Street/Prescott St can be seen somewhere on those stills? Stills taken from this site ihttps://www.reelstreets.com/index.php/component/films/?task=view&id=2238&film_ref=cathy_come_home&start=10

Viv.
If you look at photo cacoho 015, Coralie St is just beyond the van on the right.
The next road on the right at bottom of photo would be George St West.
Go over the crossroad which is Hingestion St and Ellen St is the next road down Prescott St.
If you think I can help with any more information please contact me.
I was in the area yesterday 02/03/2020, looking at where Prescott St was, if you know where to look you can see where Prescott was

Pat's shop
The photo 105293 was not taken in 1968, at that time i was still living just up the road in Coralie St.
The building I'm almost sure it was a (off licence) which then was different to an (outdoor) then pubs had (ourdoor's) and in the area it had number off licences.

The other photo 10592 could have been taken then (1968), if you look at cars in car park in other photo it was built on if I remember correctly by the Mint.

If you think I've got this wrong please come back to me.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️.

The photo 105293 was not taken in 1968, at that time i was still living just up the road in Coralie St.
The building I'm almost sure it was a (off licence) which then was different to an (outdoor) then pubs had (ourdoor's) and in the area it had number off licences.

The other photo 10592 could have been taken then (1968), if you look at cars in car park in other photo it was built on if I remember correctly by the Mint.

If you think I've got this wrong please come back to me.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️.
Hi, I've looked at photographs of Pat's shop on this site and they match this building. It was on the corner of Ellen Street and Hingeston Street

Hi, I've looked at photographs of Pat's shop on this site and they match this building. It was on the corner of Ellen Street and Hingeston Street
Sorry jollyjack, its on the corner of Ellen St and Prescott St, if you went up the hill you would come too Hingeston St where the 96 bus ran (now 101).
If you went along Ellen St you would also reach Hingeston St.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️.

Hi Nick, still not sure, I'll have another look.
Jollyjack, i have an old A-Z in my hand.
if you travel from All Saint's Rd down Hingeston St you will cross George St west on your left and right Presscott at this junction goes down the Ellen St to your left on right Presscott goes up to Coralie St (where i lived) going down Hingeston St the next on the left and right is Ellen St the next crossing is Icknield St the Mint would be on your left.

Hope this helps.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️

Last edited:
Jollyjack, i have an old A-Z in my hand.
if you travel from All Saint's Rd down Hingeston St you will cross George St west on your left and right Presscott at this junction goes down the Ellen St to your left on right Presscott goes up to Coralie St (where i lived) going down Hingeston St the next on the left and right is Ellen St the next crossing is Icknield St the Mint would be on your left.

Hope this helps.

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️
Hi Nick, thanks for that. My Grandparents lived at 1/78 Ellen Street I visited them many times and remember it very well. As you passed Ellen St on the right as you travelled down Hingeston St travelling toward Icknield St there was a shop on each corner. The first was I think Pat's shop as shown on the site. The one opposite sold greengrocery. Pat's shop has a wider wall above the door than the one we were discussing. I think that may have been an outdoor due to the wooden frame fitted to it, similar to the one on The Mint. I have another book, arriving today hopefully, that contains old street maps etc. I have a Wakelins guide but that doesn't tell you much except where streets started and ran to.
Regards Jack.

Hi Nick, thanks for that. My Grandparents lived at 1/78 Ellen Street I visited them many times and remember it very well. As you passed Ellen St on the right as you travelled down Hingeston St travelling toward Icknield St there was a shop on each corner. The first was I think Pat's shop as shown on the site. The one opposite sold greengrocery. Pat's shop has a wider wall above the door than the one we were discussing. I think that may have been an outdoor due to the wooden frame fitted to it, similar to the one on The Mint. I have another book, arriving today hopefully, that contains old street maps etc. I have a Wakelins guide but that doesn't tell you much except where streets started and ran to.
Regards Jack.
Jollyjack, we are looking at history and at times its difficult to put building into place. Using old maps helps, the way I described going from All Sants Rd - Ellen St. Puts the streets into place.
I was at Brookfields (Ellen) St School from 1957-1963, and played with then my school mates who I'm unable name some fifty-eight later.
Were your grandparents at the school?
I understand if you are unsure but would you be willing to use their surname? It possible that we may have been in that playground together. I never knew a Jollyjack!

Nick S Phillips ‍♂️.

Hi Nick, I'm not sure that they did, they were born in 1890 and where the attended school is a mystery. Their name was Keen. Grandad used to drink in the Gate at the time I visited them. He did use the Vine and the Grotto and others in his time but the Gate was where I sat on the fire escape with my pop and crisps. Jollyjack is my nickname from my time in the Royal Navy, though Brum was the usual way I was addressed .

Back