• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Elkington & Co and the family

J

Judy Elkington

Hello

I have joined your site to try and enlarge what I know about the Elkington family in and around Birmingham. My connection lies with George Richards Elkington who founded the Elkington & Co silver plating company in 1842.

I am always interested to meet anyone with the name as there are rather a lot of them and in Wartwickshire in the 1800 it was one of the most prolific names in the county of Warwickshire.

I was recently trying to research GRE and on passing by Selly Oak obtained a photograph of his lovely house Woodbrooke which is now a Quaker College. He had six sons and all of them must have been christened somewhere and I just wondered which church he would have used before St. Mary's at Selly Oak was built.

I also wanted to find out more about another Elkington lady, Charlotte, who was a nurse with Florence Nightingale who trained at her London School before returning to Birmingham to nurse. Severasl Elkingtons went into the Medical Profession.

Looking forwards to meeting you all,
Judy Elkington :)

Hi Judy, I'm certain someone here will be of great help to you..welcome to the site.

Judy I am sure you have seen this site
https://www.elkington.org.uk/H%20Elkington2.html

One of the most spectacular works of Elkington's was his
Elkington Challenge Shield which is suppose to be in the Birmingham Art Gallery, which it is not, I have wrote to them and am still waiting for an answer as to where it is
it was presented to the Volunteers of Warwickshire by Elkington

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.elkington.org.uk/H Elkington2.html

Hi
Yes I have seen this site. I supplied most of the English Information for it. However as I supplied bits of informatiom that weren't to the website owners liking she told me I had the wrong family or was mistaken. I am willing to admit to mistakes but when I had the birth certificate for said illegitimate child in front of me it was hard to deny him. GRE had a second son who was a severe epileptic and died young but I was told he belonged to another family which of course is silly. I gave up helping in the end.
I don't mind sharing my information but I object to being called a liar when I have the incontrovertible truth in front of me.
Still I don't bite and am always willing to help.

Judy
Hudy

:angel: Judy hope this helps, as this looks like it is
GRE:
GEORGE RICHARDS ELKINGTON Male
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Event(s):
spacer.gif

Birth:
spacer.gif
Christening: 06 JAN 1802 Saint Martin, Birmingham, Warwick, England
spacer.gif

Death:
spacer.gif
Burial:
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Parents: Father: JAMES ELKINGTON Mother: LYDIA

AND HIS SON:
GEORGE ELKINGTON Male
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Event(s):
spacer.gif

Birth: 04 JAN 1828
spacer.gif
Christening: 10 SEP 1829 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England
spacer.gif

Death:
spacer.gif
Burial:
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Parents: Father: GEORGE RICHARDS ELKINGTON Mother: MARY AUSTER

:angel: Judy hope this helps, as this looks like it is
GRE:
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Event(s):
spacer.gif

Birth:
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Death:
spacer.gif
Burial:
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Parents: Father: JAMES ELKINGTON Mother: LYDIA

AND HIS SON:
GEORGE ELKINGTON Male
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Event(s):
spacer.gif

Birth: 04 JAN 1828
spacer.gif
Christening: 10 SEP 1829 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England
spacer.gif

Death:
spacer.gif
Burial:
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Parents: Father: GEORGE RICHARDS ELKINGTON Mother: MARY AUSTER
Many thanks for the Dates. The parentage is right but I wondered if you know where the son was buried.
G.R.E. and his wife seem to be buried in St. Mary's which he endowed but she had died two years earlier in Scotland and they didn't have fridges in those days. However she is commenorated and said to be buried in St. Mary's.
Many thanks
Judy

:angel: Sorry only found this extra.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Event(s):
spacer.gif
Birth: 17 OCT 1801 Birmingham, Warwick, England
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Death: 22 SEP 1865
spacer.gif

Burial:
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Parents: Father: JAMES ELKINGTON Family
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
invisible.gif

AND THIS CHAP:
George Alfred Elkington Compact Disc #60 Pin #558996 Pedigree File
Sex: M
Event(s):
spacer.gif

Birth: 7 Jun 1864 Gloucester Terrace, London, ENG.
spacer.gif

33 Augustus Rd, Edgbaston, Birmingham, Warwickshire, ENG.
spacer.gif

Death: 27 Feb 1885 Torquay, Devon, ENG.
spacer.gif

Burial: 3 Mar 1885St. Mary`s , Selly Oak, Birmingham, Warwickshire, ENG.
Parents:
spacer.gif
Father: Alfred John Elkington Disc #60 Pin # 523671
spacer.gif
Mother: Frances Pellatt Disc #60 Pin # 573800

Many thanks.
A useful find for me.
Judy Elkington

:angel: Judy, Alfred J. ELKINGTON senior was also one of GRE son's and father to GAE Born: 7 Jun 1864

Alfred J. ELKINGTON

Birth: 14 FEB 1834
Christening: 22 SEP 1836 Saint Phillips, Birmingham, Warwick, England
Parents:
Father: GEORGE RICHARDS ELKINGTON
Mother: Mary Auster Balleney
Marriages:
Spouse:
Frances Elkington
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Event(s):
spacer.gif

Birth: 1836 Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

Mary Auster Balleney Sex: F
Event(s):
spacer.gif

Death: 1858
St Marys Churchyard, Selly Oak, Birmingham, Warwickshire, ENG.

Household Record 1881 British Census
Name RelationMarital StatusGenderAgeBirthplaceOccupationDisability

Alfred J. ELKINGTON Head M Male 47 (B Ham), Warwick, England Manufacturer Electro Plate Empl 800 Men (W Metal)
Frances ELKINGTON Wife M Female 45 Glasgow
Mary E. ELKINGTON Daur U Female 18 London, Middlesex, England
George A. ELKINGTON Son U Male 16 London, Middlesex, England
Reginald W. ELKINGTON Son U Male 11 Leamington, Warwick, England
Fredrick P. ELKINGTON Son U Male 6 B Ham, Warwick, England
Elisabeth PELLET Visitor U Female 27 Blackheath, Kent, England
Catherine WOODWARD Serv U Female 39 Hampstead, Middlesex, England Nurse (D)
Eliza JACKSON Visitor U Female 19 Blackheath, Kent, England No Profession
Hannah MACE Serv U Female 40 Oxford, England Cook (D)
Jame PILSBURY Serv U Female 26 Cannock, Stafford, England Parlour Maid
Charlotte LIDDATT Serv U Female 28 Rotherhithe, Middlesex, England House Maid
Mary HUBAND Serv U Female 28 Stoke, Worcester, England House
Maid
Leah COTTRELL Serv U Female 20 Abbots Morton Kithen Maid
[SIZE=+1]Source Information:[/SIZE]
Dwelling 33 Augustus Rd Census Place Edgbaston, Warwick, England

Is there anywhere where Elkington employees are listed? My grandfather and his father were listed and 'jewellers' and 'silversmiths' in their children's marriage certificates.
They were all living in Aston at the time and I wondered if they were at Elkingtons. E.

Is there anywhere where Elkington employees are listed? My grandfather and his father were listed and 'jewellers' and 'silversmiths' in their children's marriage certificates.
They were all living in Aston at the time and I wondered if they were at Elkingtons. E.
Hi
I am sorry but I cannot help you in that respect. I wonder if the Birmingham Archives have any of these documents. They may come under apprenticeship documents. I do have his will which is rather long and lists a lot of bequests locally.
Judy Elkington

https://www.elkington.org.uk/H%20Elkington2.html

One of the most spectacular works of Elkington's was his
Elkington Challenge Shield which is suppose to be in the Birmingham Art Gallery, which it is not, I have wrote to them and am still waiting for an answer as to where it is
it was presented to the Volunteers of Warwickshire by Elkington

It seems another one of Brums Treasures has gone .....see below

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Elkington Challenge Shield.

I suggest that you contact the V&A Museum in London, which holds the
Elkington Archive. Please see the address below.

Department of Sculpture, Metalwork, Ceramics and Glass
V & A Museum
South Kensington
London
SW7 2RL

Tel No: 0207 942 2000 (e-mail [email protected])

Hi Judy

Following my visit to St Paul's Jewellery district today, I hope that the following photos will be useful to you:
  • Two plaques on the wall of St Paul's Church, (three pictures as 2 and 2A have reflections in different places)
  • Copy of the MI for the plaques
  • MI for a grave that no longer exists

The following are pages from transcripts of obituaries that appeared in the Aris Gazette. There are bound volumes in the Bham library and they often reveal little nuggets of information. In your case, there are a lot of Elkingtons, so good luck in sorting them out!

Finally for today!
Here are two pages of information (don't seem able to get page one to appear before page 2) and one of pictures that are displayed beneath the plaques in St Paul's Church.

Hi, There is one mistake on the Brass Plaque, 3rd Paragraph. The wife of Thomas Richards Elkington who died 1858 was not Foster but Auster which I suppose was an unusual name and probably misheard by the craftsman working the brass plaque. She Died in Edinburgh but was transporfted down to Birmingham where she was buried at St. Mary's at Selly Oak. This church was funded and built by George Richards Elkington.

Hello, I wonder if you know about the Elkington patents or where to find out about the licenced users. I am researching the life and inventions of James Barlow, Furnishing Ironmonger of 14 King William street in the City of London. In the Times of November 1st 1843 he advertises Elctro Plating by a new patent process. I think he meant the Elkington patent. The ad reads
"ELECTRO PLATING and GILDING, by a new patent process which is warranted to ensure the most perfect and inseperable surface of silver that no other means can produce, with the most brilliant and exquisite finish to the most elaborate designs. Old plated or gilt articles are by this method made superior to new for durability and elegance at a very trifling expense.- J. BARLOW, 14 King William-street, Mansion house, manufactory for every description of electro plated goods. Established 1820" Please pass this on to anyone who could help. Thanks, John Morris

Back