• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Elizabeth Baker

Lady Penelope

master brummie
I'm struggling to find any information on Elizabeth Baker who has a window dedicated to her in St Michael's, Boldmere. The dedication on the window reads 'To the Glory of God and in loving memory of Elizabeth Baker, a devoted wife and mother interred in this churchyard 30th March 1892. There is no address in the church register only 'Aston Manor'.

The inscription on the grave, reads 'In loving memory of Elizabeth wife of Joseph Baker of 114 Victoria Road, Aston who died March 26th 1892 aged 56 years. Devoted wife and mother'.

I've tried to find the family myself but there are so many Joseph Bakers married to Elizabeths that I've had no luck so far. Is there a way of searching for the address on either Ancestry or FindmyPast?

I'm puzzled why she should be buried at St Michael's when she lived in Aston and wondered if either her husband or children moved here. They must have been quite wealthy to have a window in the church and the gravestone is quite an impressive one too.

Any leads or help would be very much appreciated please.

Other than the 1911 census, the only way I know is to find a nearby person with a less common name from directories and work along the road on the census. At first I thought wonderful, as 116 (in 1892 directory) was Walter Howard Ingall , registrar of births, but he does not come up in the search so either was not at home, misstranscribed or not living at the address, it being merely a business address. However 110 was David Littlehales. But this gave the following for no 114.

1891.Warw.aston.aston manor.dist.39.p.17 no 114 victoria rd.jpg

Thanks for looking Mike. I don't remember seeing a grave with a specific address such as this one although I expect there are some around. It must have been significant for it to appear on the stone though. It just becomes more puzzling.

as she died in 1892 i tried to find the family on the 1891 but so far no luck

lyn

Hi Lyn, nice to 'see' you again! Hope you'll soon be on top form. It hasn't seemed right without you.

No, I seem to be going round in circles with this one. I thought I'd found them once but on reflection I don't think it's them. I found a marriage at Aston Parish church and the address of the couple was given as 'Aston Manor'. The groom was a lawyer and the bride an office clerk and the ages seemed right. The grooms father was a 'coal master'. Then they seemed to be in Bentley, Staffs and he had a different job. Very strange!!

I'll just keep on looking I suppose.

Thanks for trying.

bless you pen....just looking at mikes census he posted and im taking it its for 1891 the numbering is strange in that it goes 104...106...114 then 112...but surely 112 cant come after 114 or am i missing something..

lyn

Sorry Lyn, should have made it clear that 114 seems to be on the edge of a census district. The numbers 114 on are Victoria Road, while the numbers up to 106 are in Potters Hill.
Also confirm that census was 1892

Joseph Baker appears to die in 1928 and is buried with his wife in the churchyard. On the grave his age is listed as 82, which would make him 10 years younger than Elizabeth. Haven't found anything else though.

No help but there are adverts with the address of 114, Victoria Road in 1890 for surname Parsons, and in 1896 for Oxborrow.

Thank you all - MWS - How did you manage to find that out? I couldn't find him in the the church records but I can now look at that date and see what other information there is.

Peter, what were the adverts for please?

It's from findagrave...

...the date of death seems to have been listed as date of birth but if you click on the picture it appears correct. I was hoping for more Bakers but there's just the two.

Ancestry only seems to list 3 josephs married to Elizabeths of about (+/-5) correct age around Birmingham or adjacent counties in the 1881 census. One in Lench st, who is a gunmaker,( Jo aged 36, Eliz. 33), one in Avon St, Yardley, who is a butcher (Jlos.33, eliz 40) and one in Augusta Road Edgbaston (jos 33, eliz 40) who is coachman (? see scan below)

ScreenHunter 928.jpg

Thank you all - MWS - How did you manage to find that out? I couldn't find him in the the church records but I can now look at that date and see what other information there is.

Peter, what were the adverts for please?

Oxborrow wanted a man to deliver Mineral water and Parsons (also 1887) was a Wholesale milk Dealer. In 1901 there was a tragic suicide at the house.

Mike, not really an update but I found that your 'coachman' was living next door to George Dixon, or at least he was next on the census, so possibly their coachman do you think? As with a lot of roads, the number is a little odd.

I'm still working on this Joseph after the 1881 but with a little difficulty.

Just to add a bit more mystery to the mix, I have found probate granted on a will for
Joseph Baker of 170 Summer Lane who died on 5th September 1928(records have no deaths
of a Joseph Baker in this area around that time only the one in December , could the date/month be incorrect) Probate was granted to Walter Woollerton, gentleman Effects £542.

This Joseph Baker, a Butcher b Staffs is in summer lane in 1911 with wife Ellen who it says he married in 1893.(married 18 yrs)
In 1881 Avon street Yardley
Joseph Baker age 35 a butcher born Staffs with Wife Elizabeth age 40 b Shrops and son Robert Morris Baker b 1873

? would this Joseph be buried with his 1st wife?

Last edited:
Thanks Alberta, I've been looking for Joseph & Elizabeth for some time now and have been chatting to my friend who's also looking. We came to the conclusion that the Summer Lane Joseph didn't strike us as someone who would have enough money to sponsor a stained glass window in the church. Robert Morris Baker moved to Sutton, where he became a gardener, but not until at least two years after his mother was buried. The grave would also have been an expensive one. It still puzzles me about the address on the gravestone too.

I don't know what to make of the death/dates you mention. It all seems very strange.

Mike found another Joseph Baker in Edgbaston so I'm looking at him know but it's just as hard as the one above.

There's a marriage registered for a Joseph Baker and Ellen Bodin, Sep qtr 1892 Aston. As it's so soon after the death of Elizabeth it could be his address is still the same. If it turns out to be the right one.

Back