• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Electric Trams

Where in Rubery was the terminus ? For trams.
The reason I ask that's a tall brick wall.
The No 70 Rednal tram (4th pic) is standing in Navigation Street. The walls behind can be seen in the pic below.
Navst_tram.jpg
A better view of the building but no trams in the pic link below

Martineau Street was a favourite place to photograph trams and tram 20 No 6 Perry Barr waits at the terminus. There are often interesting things to see around the trams and I see Jeromes Photographic Studio on the left. Many parents in the 1940s would smarten up their kids and take them there to be photographed. I was smartened up and taken there and have the photos on the forum here ...
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/my-family-snaps.16090/page-7#post-416542
Also in the tram pic, flower sellers can be seen on the pavement in front of Dolcis.
View attachment 122377
Thanks for the photo. Met my wife here outside Jeromes in November 1956.

Thanks for the photo. Met my wife here outside Jeromes in November 1956.
Another glimpse of Jeromes but there always seemed to be a tram in the way ... :)
Martineau Street Thread

Car 623, was one of 50 built in 1920/21 - ( 587 - 636). It led car 616, the official last car of the BCT system on 4th. July, 1953, out of Miller Street depot for the closing day. Prior to this it had. apparently, been stored at Kyotts Lake Road and had occasional use as a spare car. It therefore escaped any graffiti!
The photo is of that last day and there were enthusiasts on board. The route box says 'Special Car'

Car 623, was one of 50 built in 1920/21 - ( 587 - 636). It led car 616, the official last car of the BCT system on 4th. July, 1953, out of Miller Street depot for the closing day. Prior to this it had. apparently, been stored at Kyotts Lake Road and had occasional use as a spare car. It therefore escaped any graffiti!
The photo is of that last day and there were enthusiasts on board. The route box says 'Special Car'
Thank you Alan!

I have the feeling that those cars are in another photo here on BHF and were owned by the Corporation or other official body. Unfortunately gas and bag are too short for a search.
Car 618 has wartime lighting, white painted fender and presumably repainted not too long ago. No adverts on it it seems.

I have the feeling that those cars are in another photo here on BHF and were owned by the Corporation or other official body. Unfortunately gas and bag are too short for a search.
Car 618 has wartime lighting, white painted fender and presumably repainted not too long ago. No adverts on it it seems.
Yes I posted it see below. I use Google Site: search to find short words on the BHF, but knew I must have used the word 'Suffolk' in an older post same thread so a search for that word and my user name found the post ... :)
Even passengers on the No 71 tram look somewhat amazed ...
gasbagcar_iOS.jpg

Alan, I think you are correct......Even the license plate numbers are in close sequence!

A couple of tram photos from the 'Then and Now' thread.
The first tram 723 about to turn right from Court Road to cross Edward Road and is previously in this thread (post#106) but with a different view more to the left.
Court-Road-Tram.jpg

The second tram 47 is at the junction of Byron Road and Waverley Road.
2Byron.jpg

IMG_0423.jpeg

“Kyotts Lake Road Works was opened by the Birmingham Central Tramways Company in February 1885 as both an operating depot and a repair works, initially for steam trams and trailers and subsequently for cable and accumulator trams. Once electric trams had been introduced by the City of Birmingham Tramways in 1901, the works also built twenty-one new trams for its own use. The depot was off Stratford Road in Kvotts Lake Road between Port Hope Road on the left and the distant Grafton Road on the extreme right. Trams entered the works via the gates beneath the second large gable on the left. It was taken over by Birmingham Corporation Tramways Department on 1 January 1907 as a running shed for both the Coventry Road and Stratford Road routes; Kyotts Lake Road was closed as a depot and was converted to the Corporation's tramcar overhaul works in March 1908, finally closing in April 1954 after scrapping sixty-three trams which had been used on the Erdington routes by 6 August 1953, with car s97 being the last to be broken up.”

Birmingham before the electric tram by Harvey, D. R. (David R.), author. Publication date 2013

Last edited:
Another from the same source…Passengers at tram stop in Birmingham.

View attachment 182500
Navigation Street, Stephenson Street would be to the left and Hill Street to the right. Note the overall roof to the LNWR side of New Street Station, destroyed by bombs in WW2. Note also the shelter is not a permanent structure and consists of two units, sitting on the roadway leaving the pavement clear behind it.

I note that service 34 was listed. This was a tram route that was discontinued in 1930. Bus route 34 took its place. Was this a tram stop and bus stop or did the 34 bus stop somewhere else.

I note that service 34 was listed. This was a tram route that was discontinued in 1930. Bus route 34 took its place. Was this a tram stop and bus stop or did the 34 bus stop somewhere else.
The 34 was unusual as it was a route number used both for a tram service and its replacement bus service. I would assume that the bus service therefore used the same route (via Bristol Road & Holloway Head) and stops as the trams did.

I used the 34 bus in the 1960s to get to college in Gosta Green. I used to catch it at the Warley Odean stop on Hagley Road West.
The route, if I remember it correctly, was Hagley Road, Islington Row, Bath Row, Holloway Head, Suffolk Street, Swallow Street, Hill Street, New Street, Corporation Street then the 33 route out of Birmingham. I would get off in Lancaster Place opposite the Central Fire Station.
If I remember correctly the return journey must have been Dale End, High Street, New Street, Stephenson Place, Stephenson Street, Navigation Street, John Bright Street Holloway Head and return as above.
One morning I was on the 34 (showing 33 as it was a cross city service) when on the turn from Swallow Street into Hill Street, the driver appeared to have got his gearbox in a twist or something because the bus could not move and was stopped foul of the junction which must have brought Birmingham to a stop that day. Realising that he was not going to move, I got off and walked across the city centre to college.
The 34 Hagley Road tram and the Dudley Road tram ) used to meet at the Kings Head but were never connected

The 34 Tram at Kings Head Bearwood

1690745466791.png

The 29 Tram on Bearwood Road near the Kings Head

1690745803207.png

Car 342 on route 29, which along with the other services from Edmund Street which were replaced in September 1939 by buses, was unique. Originally an open vestibule car it received a 'temporary' covering to its upper vestibule, but being a four wheeled truck car this was not approved by the Board of Trade. No cars of this type were altered. Its nickname was 'The Armoured Car'.

The 29 Tram on Bearwood Road near the Kings Head

View attachment 182545
The strange appearance of car 342's upper deck ends was because it was the corporation's prototype conversion of open balcony cars to fully enclosed ones. Later versions had far more glass. I imagine this is a just pre WW2 photo, as the tram and pavement kerb have the white markings, but the tram's headlight masks have not yet been fitted. It's possibly a Ray Coxon shot, he took a few here.

Last edited:
Back