• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Electric Trams

Where in Rubery was the terminus ? For trams.
The reason I ask that's a tall brick wall.
The No 70 Rednal tram (4th pic) is standing in Navigation Street. The walls behind can be seen in the pic below.
Navst_tram.jpg
A better view of the building but no trams in the pic link below

Martineau Street was a favourite place to photograph trams and tram 20 No 6 Perry Barr waits at the terminus. There are often interesting things to see around the trams and I see Jeromes Photographic Studio on the left. Many parents in the 1940s would smarten up their kids and take them there to be photographed. I was smartened up and taken there and have the photos on the forum here ...
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/my-family-snaps.16090/page-7#post-416542
Also in the tram pic, flower sellers can be seen on the pavement in front of Dolcis.
View attachment 122377
Thanks for the photo. Met my wife here outside Jeromes in November 1956.

Thanks for the photo. Met my wife here outside Jeromes in November 1956.
Another glimpse of Jeromes but there always seemed to be a tram in the way ... :)
Martineau Street Thread

Car 623, was one of 50 built in 1920/21 - ( 587 - 636). It led car 616, the official last car of the BCT system on 4th. July, 1953, out of Miller Street depot for the closing day. Prior to this it had. apparently, been stored at Kyotts Lake Road and had occasional use as a spare car. It therefore escaped any graffiti!
The photo is of that last day and there were enthusiasts on board. The route box says 'Special Car'

Car 623, was one of 50 built in 1920/21 - ( 587 - 636). It led car 616, the official last car of the BCT system on 4th. July, 1953, out of Miller Street depot for the closing day. Prior to this it had. apparently, been stored at Kyotts Lake Road and had occasional use as a spare car. It therefore escaped any graffiti!
The photo is of that last day and there were enthusiasts on board. The route box says 'Special Car'
Thank you Alan!

I have the feeling that those cars are in another photo here on BHF and were owned by the Corporation or other official body. Unfortunately gas and bag are too short for a search.
Car 618 has wartime lighting, white painted fender and presumably repainted not too long ago. No adverts on it it seems.

I have the feeling that those cars are in another photo here on BHF and were owned by the Corporation or other official body. Unfortunately gas and bag are too short for a search.
Car 618 has wartime lighting, white painted fender and presumably repainted not too long ago. No adverts on it it seems.
Yes I posted it see below. I use Google Site: search to find short words on the BHF, but knew I must have used the word 'Suffolk' in an older post same thread so a search for that word and my user name found the post ... :)
Even passengers on the No 71 tram look somewhat amazed ...
gasbagcar_iOS.jpg

Alan, I think you are correct......Even the license plate numbers are in close sequence!

A couple of tram photos from the 'Then and Now' thread.
The first tram 723 about to turn right from Court Road to cross Edward Road and is previously in this thread (post#106) but with a different view more to the left.
Court-Road-Tram.jpg

The second tram 47 is at the junction of Byron Road and Waverley Road.
2Byron.jpg

Back