• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Electric Trams

When I used to catch the 13A bus into town from Yardley Wood quite often we had
a conductor who used to call out the names of each stop, he aways use to say
"Ship Camp Hill, never sailed and never will!" Bernard.

Bernie d'B, you may have started something here. :friendly_wink: I guess there are many places where buses/trams stopped which got a humerous tag line added.

As a youngster my first job in Devon was on the Torquay side of Paignton. I used the bus to get to the western side of Torbay where I lived. I remember one conductor announcing that the bus had arrived in Paignton - any colour you like. It may seem odd to announce arrival in the centre of a large town but it was said mainly for tourists who were not always sure where they were. I posted some time ago, on this Forum, that many tourists heading for Torquay from Paignton often found that they were heading in a westerly direction towards Brixham and Kingwear and had to disembark. :redface:

img355.jpg
The news paper cuttings that were with this one would indicate a connection with the lickey Hills, Bristol Road but Lloyd will know more about that.

Tram 78 was to Short Heath and Tram 79 was to Pype Hayes Park. However trams from all over the city were used at busy times to run to the Lickeys.

Tram 78 was to Short Heath and Tram 79 was to Pype Hayes Park. However trams from all over the city were used at busy times to run to the Lickeys.

But unlikely to have the incorrect route displayed David: an inspector, of which there were quite a few on duty on busy periods to the Lickeys, would soon have spotted the mistake and told the crew to get it changed to read 70.

"I might have guessed it was you pair, get that route number changed Butler" :friendly_wink:

View attachment 73954
The news paper cuttings that were with this one would indicate a connection with the lickey Hills, Bristol Road but Lloyd will know more about that.

As David said, 78 was to Short Heath and Tram 79 was to Pype Hayes, plus 2 on the third car was Erdington (Chester Road) so these cars must be at Miller St depot, not Selly Oak where the main allocation for Bristol Rd was operated. However, these 'open balcony' cars had gone by the time the Lichfield Road services finished in 1953, so its some event before that.

img459.jpg
The caption with this onesays car 196 turns into Sand Pits Parade.

Lloyd has also pointed out a few errors with the text on different pictures from this bundle of papers. I only have a few more on this subject thank god.

It comes up as 'Attatchment' in blue on mine and it opens if I click on it Lloyd. That has happened a couple times now. I will re-post it.

That works! Thanks!
I think you can open the other because you posted it, don't know why that should be. For me it opens a BHF page that says "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

I had same problem as Lloyd so thanks for reposting. As this is single track and the tram is displaying DEPOT ONLY, I assume that this is Miller Street itself. The junction hardly looks like a major road does it? Even main roads were narrow in those days

The caption with this onesays car 196 turns into Sand Pits Parade.

and memory (often suspect :untroubled:) tells me that the tram lines going off to the left of the picture were those of the 32 Lodge Road route (subsequently bus 96). Seeing the post is by Stitcher, and we have commented on tailoring elsewhere, I would mention a gents clothes shop on the Sandpits called Zissmans. There was another Zissmans in Bull Street in the City centre but whether they were connected I can't say,

img473.jpg
Short Heath Terminus in 1953, does anyone know whatever happened with the driverless bus on this short stretch of road, I never get over that side of town nowadays.

and memory (often suspect :untroubled:) tells me that the tram lines going off to the left of the picture were those of the 32 Lodge Road route (subsequently bus 96). Seeing the post is by Stitcher, and we have commented on tailoring elsewhere, I would mention a gents clothes shop on the Sandpits called Zissmans. There was another Zissmans in Bull Street in the City centre but whether they were connected I can't say,

I understand that the trams on the Lodge Road Route had bow collectors rather than trolley poles and these activated the points to enable the trams to make the turn off. Zissmans tailors were owned by Councillor Bernard Zissman who served as Lord Mayor sometime I think in the 1980s

The bow collectors were on the 32 route and I believe the 8 Alum Rock as well. The appeared unusual as the majority of cars had trolley poles though I did like the look of them.

img509.jpg
The writing with this one tells me it is at Lodge Road Terminus. 1939.

This is the terminus of the 32 Lodge Road Tram which is actually a little further on than Lodge Road being in Foundry Road. As I mentioned in a previous post the Lodge Road trams had bow collectors and I have seen an archive film at this point showing the bow collector fliping over as the tram started its return to the city. The actual terminus was in the triangle formed by the three railway junctions at Soho where the Soho Loop meets the Stour Valley line.

Thank you David, I am not a Tram or Train person but I have a lifetimes clutter to get through although it has gone down a lot lately.

img521.jpg
I suppose this one has been posted before but I could not find it.
The last tram as it leaves Miller Street 6th July 1953.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen it before Stitcher, but not here. It's car 616 arriving back at Miller Street after completing the very last service journey.
Trams did run after this, but out of service from their temporary storage areas (including Bristol Road and Pebble Mill Road centre reservations) to either Kyotts Lake Road works or Witton depot for breaking up.

Back