• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Electric Trams

A lot of people, particularly those who lived along the 2 Erdington, 78 Short Heath and 79 Pype Hayes routes did notice their passing as did many tram aficionados. I was one of them in the Steelhouse area in 1953. the last trams in the city. The principal difference between the older trams system and the new is that the older trams ran in a good many parts of Birmingham, the newer ones are confined to the city centre. I was glad I was there as I moved to Devon the following year. However, as OM remarks, for most of the city it was just another day.
The trams in Plymouth, Exeter and Torbay had long gone. However in East Devon there is the Seaton Tramway system.

A lot of people, particularly those who lived along the 2 Erdington, 78 Short Heath and 79 Pype Hayes routes did notice their passing as did many tram aficionados. I was one of them in the Steelhouse area in 1953. the last trams in the city. The principal difference between the older trams system and the new is that the older trams ran in a good many parts of Birmingham, the newer ones are confined to the city centre. I was glad I was there as I moved to Devon the following year. However, as OM remarks, for most of the city it was just another day.
The trams in Plymouth, Exeter and Torbay had long gone. However in East Devon there is the Seaton Tramway system.
Working at Dunlop from August 1952, the tram was still king there, open front balcony...heigh ho to City on a Friday Evening, inside if it was raining. With a grandmother that lived on the 78 route and a set of mates that lived on the 79 route, I missed the old bone shakers when they went, any way thanks to all of you for confirming what I thought. By the by Alan, my son's father in law who owns the Isle Abbots miniature railway, is a driver for the Seaton Tramway.

Bob

No the old gauge for the trams in Birmingham and the Black Country was 3ft 6in as against the new trams which run on the British standard gauge of 4ft 8½in.

Also the roads on which the new trams run are not the same as the old routes. The only place were the new trams run on the same road is Corporation Street between the former Martineau Street and Bull Street and even then the old trams only ran one way.

The tramway at the Black Country Museum is 3'6", with genuine local trams on it. no Birmingham ones,though.

In 1953 running of trams ceased on the 2 Erdington, 78 Short Heath and 79 Pype Hayes routes and large crowds watched the last runs in the city centre. Tram 659 stands empty in Park Road facing Aston Church on the outbound track. It has 'Get On Last Trip' chalked on it but maybe it had already made it's last passenger trip and the driver was waiting further instructions.
Tram695ParkRoad1953.jpg

The area is much changed today as Google maps show.

Post #638 very nostalgic, the road on the right is Queens Road were I was born in 1930 (although in 1953 I was in Hong Kong with my 'new' wife in the RAF). That was the old 3X tram route, which I used numerous times as a youngster into the City centre. Happy days gone forever, but that's life. You cannot stop progress (?). Eric

I seem to remember electric buses, I think in the city center area. Does anyone know how long they were around and when they were phased out? As I recall there weren't a lot of them. They used the same type of power pick up as the electric trams but were not on tracks.

Birmingham Trolleybuses - started Nov 1922 till June 1951
They were only used on 5 routes! There was a maximum fleet of 78 Trolleybuses
None of the original Trolleybuses is recorded as survived.

Last edited:
I seem to remember electric buses, I think in the city center area. Does anyone know how long they were around and when they were phased out? As I recall there weren't a lot of them. They used the same type of power pick up as the electric trams but were not on tracks.
There is a thread about Trolley-Buses with pics in it. The link below points to one post I put there ... :)
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/trolley-buses.3555/post-601882

I see you in the West Midlands are just about to get 15 BYD/Alexander all electric buses, Optare are involved as well. BYD a Chinese company have sold 100 into the UK, mainly London (68).

Bob

I get an impression that this is Stockland Green.
In the usual working of trams many, during the in very busy periods - workers or Saturday shoppers - did a short working and turned back here for the city, in this case to MIller Street Depot.
Whether this was the last day I cannot be certain. However, it is recorded that the trams, on the last day of operation on the 2, 78 and 79 routes, having left the outer terminii only ran as far as Lichfield Road, near Victoria Road, where passengers were transferred to buses for the remainder of their journey.

Tram 569 showing 'Depot Only' so I can't determine the location. All the upper windows are open so maybe it is on its last run to a depot.
View attachment 136320
An interesting picture, is that an inspector with the flat topped peaked cap at the end where the group of smiling men have just disembarked, I know the top of his hat looks white, but I think it is a black hat with sunglare on it, also he seems to be wearing that uniform long mac that all inspectors always seemed to wear come rain, come shine. What are all the people on the far pavement looking at and finally what was Mr MacKay doing there? Seriously, what sort of uniform is he wearing, he seems to have shoulder badges. Finally the tram looks very dusty, almost unkempt which would be unusual for BCT whose vehicles always looked immaculate. As usual answers on a postcard please.

Bob

Birmingham Trolleybuses - started Nov 1922 till June 1951
They were only used on 5 routes! There was a maximum fleet of 78 Trolleybuses
None of the original Trolleybuses is recorded as survived.
Ah Trolley Buses! Thank you Robt...…...I knew they had a name and just could not recall.

It looks like one of the Birmingham (No 107) Birminham Tram 107.jpgtrams is located at the Aston Manor Transport Museum in Aldridge. Apparently its beyond economic repair, but they are doing some work on it to show folks how it would have looked. I am a big fan of the Aston Manor Transport Museum, they do some serling work and are just a great group of people. Go and visit and show support.

The link to post #254 in this thread I can date, from archives, as Easter 1944.
Now this post # 657 is different. The photo of 163 has to be before the end of 1939 as this car was one of 200, 1906/7/8 build, that was withdrawn between 1937 and 1939.
I am making a guess that it might be late 1939. The crew have an older driver and what seems like a quite young conductor. Too old and too young for the armed forces maybe?
The 84 route ran to Stechford via Digbeth and Coventry Road, the 90 went via Gt. Barr Street and Garrisson Lane linking up at Bordesley Green. The routes should have ceased in 1940 but WW2 gave them a respite until 1948.
Probably, anticipating change, a new bus route 36 was introduced to Stechford. This went via Sparkbrook, Formans Road and Tyseley. These routes were heavily used as most if their route was quite industrialised. The tram routes had the distinction of serving St. Andrews when the Blues were at home.
At one time trams and buses, which ever team (Blues, Villa or Baggies) were playing at home bore the destination FOOTBALL SPECIAL. At some point - I do not know when - this was changed to St. Andrews, Villa Park - and I think, The Hawthorns.

I have deleted most of this post as it was not accurate. Route 69 was a short working to Northfield, near the Bell Inn.
However, this well known photo, of the Bell, does not show room for a reserved track. The shelters must be elsewhere along the Bristol Road presumably.

Tram 766 entered service in 1928 and lasted until 1952 when the Bristol Road services were abandoned.

Last edited:
Back