• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Electric Trams

Are there any pictures of the track at the actual crossover. Did one set of tracks remain complete while the other set were truncated as they met each rail. On American diamond crossings, the rails on the lesser line butt up against the through rail?

Bob

PS partly answered by the picture above, post 570,the curve remained the complete line and the straight rails were cut and apparently they were butted against the uncut line. come to think of it I wished I had never asked such a stupid question.
Bob

Post 545 shows two curved tracks . The one highlighted pink is the subject of these recent posts. I believe the other, lower one and the one mentioned in post 570, was removed possibly after route 3 ceased in 1939.

Tram 631 on Park Road Aston. The 3X route closed in 1949 and buildings in this pic were demolished to make way for the Aston Expressway. Note ... I added colour to this image
Image3X.jpg

Last edited:
October 1949 is the apparent date of this photo in post 573. Car 631, built 1920/21 I am sure survived until system closure in 1953. The car has no adverts which suggests a recent repaint and must say that the car was in good shape as some of her sisters started to be withdrawn by 1949. Plans for the closure of the 3X route, closed in December 1949, as mentioned in post 573, are well advanced as close to the tram stop is the post for the new bus route 39 stop. Notable is that bus stops were usually not a close the side road junctions as tram stops were.

A couple of photos which I think relate to the last tram in Birmingham, they were scanned from my uncle's belongings. John

Attachments

• Last tram_1.jpg
    Last tram_1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 45
  • last tram_2.jpg
    last tram_2.jpg
    1,015.6 KB · Views: 44
I would confirm this as the last tram, it was on the final passenger journey to Erdington. On 4th. July, 1953 car 616 is seen passing what was then called the General Hospital and thence past the Central Fire Station. The return witnessed large crowds in Steelhouse Lane at the city terminus. There was also quite a gathering at Miller Street depot when it arrived there. 616 entered service in 1920 which gave the city thirty three years of service and I believe it was among the 24 cars moved later that evening from Miller Street to Kyotts Lake Road depot for ultimate scraping. Being July, having light evenings, lots of people in the city centre saw the movement of these cars which was quite an involved affair, which is related elsewhere on BHF.

Trams at the Rubery Terminus in 1952
index.php

from another forum thread ...https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/hobbies.46731/post-625362

Trams in Navigation Street but no passengers on them. A young lad and his dad look at the front of 843.
TramsNavigationStreet.jpg

I believe there is no one, as a passenger, on 843 as in front of the car 843 on 71? route (presume 71, but only figure 1 shows) is another car, closer to the loading bays, on the 36 route. That is the one that is loading for Cotteridge,
Car 843, the last car built for the corporation was more modern in appearance, a lightweight build in 1930 and survived until 1952. It was usually to be seen on the 36 Cotteridge route when it wasn't engaged in special runs for enthusiasts.
The enthusiast runs took the car over much of the Birmingham system when it was still extant; in fact it often ran specials over those routes due for imminent closure

Tram No 3 with a route number only half showing. It could be 5 which would put the tram on the No 5 Lozells Route but where ? Looks like something interesting on at that church.
TramNo3.jpg

Car 3 is in Newtown Row. Apparently it is on the 6 Perry Barr route. The route number, it is suspected could have been altered by children in the balcony. No proof however! The church, St. Stephen's closed in 1950 months after the trams ceased. Existing bus route 33 took over.
Car 3, one of 20 built in 1905, for the Corporation was one of nine which survived until 1949. They were frequent on route 6. The other 11 were destroyed during WW2.

Last edited:
342, known as The Armoured Car. This car, of a class of 100 open top deck balcony cars, was, in 1921, with sister car 347, subjected to a temporary trial (approved by the Board of Trade) to enclose the top deck balcony. The B of T was not happy about it at the time due to Birmingham's track being classed as narrow gauge, and so no others were converted. However, this temporary arrangement lasted until 1950 when the cars were scrapped. Newer cars, of the mid 1920's era, had enclosed balconies when built. 347 looked similar to other BCT cars and was not odd looking as a result
The 3X route, which terminated at Witton Square was withdrawn in December 1949 being replaced by the 39 bus route. The bus stop (probably newly sited?) suggests the changeover as imminent. Moreover the Bundy clock, in a photograph of July 1949, has now gone.

Last edited:
Surprised to see a picture of a conductress on a Pype Hayes tram with a "Ultimate" ticket machine, I associate trams with racks of tickets and a "clippy" machine. When was the ultimate introduced in Birmingham?
Screenshot (250).png

Phil,

That is an amazing picture, so full of action with everyone going about their business! And that lovely hazy background. I'm not sure whether colorizing will work, but it may make a good subject for Eric. On the other hand, some pictures deserve to stay in black & white! :)

Maurice

Hi Maurice,

Yes, although trams and buses are the main items in these 'transport' threads it is often the street scenes around them which are just as interesting.

Phil

Surprised to see a picture of a conductress on a Pype Hayes tram with a "Ultimate" ticket machine, I associate trams with racks of tickets and a "clippy" machine. When was the ultimate introduced in Birmingham?
View attachment 129102
The 'Ultimate' ticket issuing machines were initially trialled by BCT in 1949, but were not phased in until 1952. The date gap was probably to allow the using up of separate ticket stocks and cash flow although financial issues rarely stopped BCT's progress. :D
The only route not to get the new machines was the Elmdon Airport service which had to wait until 1963. Presumably this was due to it limited fare structure.

The only route not to get the new machines was the Elmdon Airport service which had to wait until 1963. Presumably this was due to it limited fare structure.

Alan, I think we have established on another thread that the Airport service was not a BCT licensed service but was operated on behalf of BEA who held the actual licence so the type of tickets used would have varied from normal BCT services.

Alan, I think we have established on another thread that the Airport service was not a BCT licensed service but was operated on behalf of BEA who held the actual licence so the type of tickets used would have varied from normal BCT services.
David, I did post some of this info there, but due to the size and content of BHF it often gets overlooked.

View attachment 129102
Regarding ticket machines used on trams, this photo was posted on FB by a John Devlin. It shows his mother and is dated c1949.
Image1.jpg

Well, it is recorded that trials started in 1949. It could be that women were issued with new machines as they are often more adaptable to changes than men! :D

Regarding ticket machines used on trams, this photo was posted on FB by a John Devlin. It shows his mother and is dated c1949.
View attachment 129105
It isn't the 79 Pype Hayes route it's 78 Short Heath, I can't think where this picture was taken.
The only place I can think of was from town just before Marsh Hill any other offers.
I must admit I don't remember those ticket machines either it was always the string of spring load rack was what I remember

The only place I can think of where they would both be taking a break would be at the terminus on Streetly Road but I don't remember that house in the background. Of course it's probably changed a lot since the photo was taken.

Thanks oM. It's slightly further down than I thought. I could only remember the shops which I can now see through the tram windows.

OM
1. You are a genius and so so clever, if only I was young and knew how to use my computer to such effect. Thanks very much for the map that has solved my queries.
2. James Neale & Sons, remembered the name from my days at Cannings, they had plating plant from us and discovered that Google the name and there is a wealth of information. They were motor parts suppliers, windscreens, lights, interior rear view mirrors. The items on Google devoted to them are very interesting and so are the images that appear on the Google page. However they were in Graham Street, on the edge of the Jewellery Quarter, so either it is another James Neale or I am missing something and don't know my tram routes, but as far as I can see Graham Street is nowhere near the 5 or 6 tram route. I now sit here waiting for the corrections to come in, but it is a late 40s/early 50s picture, I can tell from the tram. I have a great affection for public transport, particularly the way buses and trams were painted before the modernists got hold of them and spoilt them with garish swooshes and multicolours or even the latest trend of route coloured buses, Reading is a leader in that field, but even in the West Midlands National Express have the old red, white and blue, the newer 'I am almost a Midland Red bus' and the even newer all singing all dancing Platinum, express, wi-fi fitted double deckers, I have travelled X1 and X10, however to stop meandering away from the subject, there is something about the old black and white misty terraced house street pictures of trams that is almost artistic in its content and as for those embellished by Old Mohawks paint by numbers computer system, what can I say. (Nothing if you have any sense). The interesting thing about these pictures, is that none seem to be in any of the many Birmingham Tram books that I own.
Bob
James Neale & sons appear to occupy the site where the Lozells Picture Theatre once stood before, in fact, the facade is almost identical. John.

Tram 676 has just turned into Slade Rd off Salford Bridge. The out-houses of the Erdington Arms on the right.
676SladeRd.jpg

Back