• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Electric motor assisted Bicycles (E-bikes)

farmerdave

master brummie
E-bicycles seem to be growing in popularity, especially on the Continent. I have seen a few around here in Surrey, where it is quite hilly, but not very many. My question is: with the tradition of bicycle manufacturing in Birmingham, does anybody know of a B'ham producer of e-bikes? Many e-bikes are recommended as being useful for short commutes to your place of work. They are also sometimes advertised as being of particular benefit to older people who used to enjoy cycling on a traditional bike but might now need some power-assistance to reach the top of hills. I am thinking of getting an e-bike but my wife says I should hurry up and make a decision as I have been thinking about it for over a year. Are there any e-bike users on the Forum? Thanks. Dave.

E-bicycles seem to be growing in popularity, especially on the Continent. I have seen a few around here in Surrey, where it is quite hilly, but not very many. My question is: with the tradition of bicycle manufacturing in Birmingham, does anybody know of a B'ham producer of e-bikes? Many e-bikes are recommended as being useful for short commutes to your place of work. They are also sometimes advertised as being of particular benefit to older people who used to enjoy cycling on a traditional bike but might now need some power-assistance to reach the top of hills. I am thinking of getting an e-bike but my wife says I should hurry up and make a decision as I have been thinking about it for over a year. Are there any e-bike users on the Forum? Thanks. Dave.
we have two.made by raliegh.they take all the hard work out of pedling.on a full charge. bit expensive.i sorry i dont know anyone in brum who make them.

E-bikes are all the rage in Parker, Colorado USA They wizz by me every day on our bike trails. Not sure I see any benefit to one's health riding one, but then it is their money, not mine.

Hi.

So did I, but they are not road legal.
Electric bikes have to be pedalled to actuate the electric
assistance i.e. they can't be twistgrip operated

Kind regards
Dave
true dave. the first bike i had,was twist grip,twist and go. but did not last long before it was neading a charge.

Hi.

So did I, but they are not road legal.
Electric bikes have to be pedalled to actuate the electric
assistance i.e. they can't be twistgrip operated

Kind regards
Dave

This is true, but I understand that there is some consideration now about changing the law. I was told last night that the change has actually been done but would like to verify this before committing to buying one.

My plan was to go to London on Sunday and have a whiz around the Olympic park on one.

Because at the moment, electric scooters in the UK are illegal. ... You can't ride scooters on the road, because the DVLA requires that electric vehicles be registered and taxed. And you can't ride scooters on the pavement because of the 1835 .............Highways Act that prohibits anyone from riding a 'carriage' on the pavement.... They want to tell some kids that.....133210na not for me.60 years ago yes

E-bikes are all the rage in Parker, Colorado USA They wizz by me every day on our bike trails. Not sure I see any benefit to one's health riding one, but then it is their money, not mine.
E-bikes probably give fewer health benefits than traditional bikes but it must depend on how often you have to use the pedal-assist facility. Still better than having to hang up your cycle clips altogether because you can't manage the hills. Dave

I will not consider one until my legs pack up. However, if it helps with the stigma attached to riding electric ..... Barry Hoban, winner of eight stages in the Tour de France, rides an electric as he still loves cycling but needs a bit of assistance these days.

Well I too still very much enjoy my traditional bike; I may pop out today if the weather holds up.

I have used an e-Bike and they are a lot of fun. Anything that gets you out and about is good for health and wellbeing in my opinion.

Warning issued to people who received e-scooter for Christmas​

anyone considering using an e-scooter on public roads, pavements or cycle paths risk being issued with a £300 fine, six penalty points on their driving licence and having the e-scooter seized. Additionally, for any driver or motorcyclist that has passed their driving test in the last two years it could result in a driving disqualification and the need to re-take both the theory and practical driving test.

Here in Redditch there is an ongoing electric scooter trial period where you can hire one via your mobile phone, problem is they get abandoned everywhere when the allotted time runs out. Usually the cretins that ride them just step off and walk away, often leaving the scooter in the middle of the pavement. Complaints to the rental company used to get them to track who had rented the scooter and issued a warning to them but now nobody responds

driving-laws-electric-scooters-christmas-warning-4455854.jpg

Due to them being seen as a greener vehicle in comparison to cars, many people have begun using them as a more sustainable and fun method of commuting.

In July 2020, the Department for Transport made regulations allowing trials of rental e-scooters to be fast-tracked and expanded.

The original deadline for the end of the trials was November 30, 2021, but trials were extended until March 31, 2022, to take into account the slower start to trials as a result of the pandemic.

All trial vehicles must adhere to certain requirements set out by the Government to ensure that they are used properly and safely.

Maximum speed permitted 15 mph ? they go way faster than that in Redditch, the things are a menace and just abandoned everywhere you go

driving-laws-electric-scooters-christmas-warning-4455854.jpg

Due to them being seen as a greener vehicle in comparison to cars, many people have begun using them as a more sustainable and fun method of commuting.

In July 2020, the Department for Transport made regulations allowing trials of rental e-scooters to be fast-tracked and expanded.

The original deadline for the end of the trials was November 30, 2021, but trials were extended until March 31, 2022, to take into account the slower start to trials as a result of the pandemic.

All trial vehicles must adhere to certain requirements set out by the Government to ensure that they are used properly and safely.
Just wait! What starts out as a reasonable idea gets hyjacked. We have some scooters that run over 40mph with little or no protection! They might be greener but only carry one person and no luggage unless your in China, India or Japan.

Peddle assisted bikes are the best thing since sliced bread for an 84 year old like me with mobility problems its gets me out of the house in the fresh air and meeting like minded people on my travels about 12 mile a day. I Peddle for 75% of the time and apply the power on hills which are very steep on my route. I have owned E Bikes for 8 years done 5000 miles on the first one until the battery gave up the ghost. My new purchase is a great improvement with hydraulic brakes uprated battery and step through frame model Cyrusher Kuattro. If you are thinking of buying an E Bike due your research as some won't pull the skin off a rice pudding on hillary terrain and others are not legal on UK roads.Ride and try first all models for height comfort and power i did just that at Cyrusher Showroom at Gloucester before choosing the Kuattro.Mine came legal but can be derestricted for those buffs who ride off road on trails etc. Hope this helps.20221010_130439.jpg

Peddle assisted bikes are the best thing since sliced bread for an 84 year old like me with mobility problems its gets me out of the house in the fresh air and meeting like minded people on my travels about 12 mile a day. I Peddle for 75% of the time and apply the power on hills which are very steep on my route. I have owned E Bikes for 8 years done 5000 miles on the first one until the battery gave up the ghost. My new purchase is a great improvement with hydraulic brakes uprated battery and step through frame model Cyrusher Kuattro. If you are thinking of buying an E Bike due your research as some won't pull the skin off a rice pudding on hillary terrain and others are not legal on UK roads.Ride and try first all models for height comfort and power i did just that at Cyrusher Showroom at Gloucester before choosing the Kuattro.Mine came legal but can be derestricted for those buffs who ride off road on trails etc. Hope this helps.View attachment 176781
:cool:

ebike.jpg1885: The aerial bicycle was devised by American inventor S T Hachenberger, to utilize the newly erected telephone poles and wires for transportation. The vehicle was equipped with a small electric motor and was suspended from from a cable running parallel to the telephone wires. Used on a trial track, the idea was soon abandoned.Three Lions/Getty Images

ebike an side car.jpgElectric cycle with side-car on the square of the Opera. Paris, February 1941.LAPI/Roger Viollet/Getty Images

hi aggie i agree with you they can be life savers and not just for the elderly....my eldest son is 36 and his passion is travelling the uk and the world on his motor bike...during the height of covid due to travel restrictions and not being able to get out his mental health started to suffer and so did his weight...he had to do something so he invested in an e bike... changed his diet and started peddling...in the space of 5 months he lost 4 stone in weight and his mental health improved dramatically...he still uses the e bike from time to time...has held his weight and sticks to his diet...he looks so much better now...as he said to me it may not have been a cheap investment but for him it was well worth it

lyn

Durham Police force unveiled the latest means of transport, an electric bike to make life easier around Co Durham. Constable Andrea Clayton, 28, shows off the first of its kind at Ferryhill.Owen Humphreys - PA Images/PA Images police ebike.jpg

MBK presents the 1st Electric Bike In France On July 25, 1995.Marc DEVILLE/Gamma-Rapho via Getty Imaebike (2).jpg

hi aggie i agree with you they can be life savers and not just for the elderly....my eldest son is 36 and his passion is travelling the uk and the world on his motor bike...during the height of covid due to travel restrictions and not being able to get out his mental health started to suffer and so did his weight...he had to do something so he invested in an e bike... changed his diet and started peddling...in the space of 5 months he lost 4 stone in weight and his mental health improved dramatically...he still uses the e bike from time to time...has held his weight and sticks to his diet...he looks so much better now...as he said to me it may not have been a cheap investment but for him it was well worth it

lyn
Good for him!

Back