• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Electoral Look up please, Pershore Road

gingerninja

knowlegable brummie
Hi

Please could someone have a look at the electoral rolls for 199 Pershore Road, a couple of years before and after 1901.

Any information would be gratefully received!

Thanks

gingerninja.

No electoral rolls online before 1912 (and then did not include most women). Kellys lists Henry Hollis as occupant 1897-1903
Mike

Hi Mikejee

Thanks, on the 1901 census they had a Benjamin Gee Rosa Gee and Annie Jones in that property.

gingerninja

ginger
Have found the problem. In 1901 there were two pershore roads, and a few bits called something different in between. About 1915 all the bits were put together
and called "Pershore road" and the lot (other than the bit closest to the city centre) were renumbered.
In pershore road, edgebaston (near centre of birmingham), 199 pershore road (warwickshire, edgebaston dist. 2 page 23 ( or RG13/2814) ) shows Henry Hollier(?). The Pershore road you want is comes under northfield. (worcs.northfield dist 35 p 28), which, at the time, was outside Birmingham area
Mike

Hi Mike

How confusing it all is, is there any chance of pin pointing my 199 Pershore Road down, at all, as I'm taking my mum over that way as we have know found her GT Grandmother resting place, Lodge Hill so we thought we may try and find this would have been my mum's Aunts house. I had a look on Google maps and a 199 Pershore Road is shown near the Edgbaston Cricket Ground, but I'm not sure now if this is correct.

Thanks for your help.

ginger

Ginger
I’m pretty sure that that one you;ve found is the one with hollis/hollier in.
I have been trying to build up a spreadsheet comparing addresses using directories and electoral rolls. I have started to put in th e1900 census, but hadn't yet done this bit. Trouble is directories (should) accurately tell you where the house is in relation to roads, but miss out a lot of (particularly) private houses, whereas the census and electoral rolls give only limited info on where it is on the ground. I've gone over the pages around no 199 now though and am sure that no 199 becmae no 782 when all the bits of Pershore road were numbered togehter. It was between Wallace road & Priory avenue
A lot of the houses seem to be relatively recent, but, as ffar as I can tell no 782 would be just about where Dobbs mill close is. Dobbs mill close seems to be an addition since the last Kellys of 1973
Hope that helps anyway.

I've had a look on google, and it looks like either its where the close is now of , possibly the newer looking houses on the left of it. numbers aren't all clear on streetview. Good luck anyway, the houses to the right of the close look original
Mike

Back