• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Egyptian Mummy In Birmingham Museum

HistoryHound

Hi
I am trying to find out information about an Egyptian Mummy owned by the Cadbury family. It was loaned to a cinema in 1932 by Elizabeth Cadbury and eventually was given to the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery in 1966. Does anyone know any more details about it please or any other antiquities collected by the family?

hi i recall many years ago when as a little whipper snapper when our dad took us to the museum on a sunday aftenoon seeing
this big mummy being used as a centre piece during the fifties and then i presumed years later that it was in there storage but i think around the late sixtys or seventys
that some one from some where in this goverment did send back the karmantutu mummy an huge one as they said it belong to them for there history
i am sure it was in the sixties or around that period but the cadburys name was not mentioine during the press release as i recall it as he owners
it state the museum now which news paper it was i cannot recall but thats i can recall about the big mummy
it was a huge one it was probaly our ity council loaned it to the london council whom thought it was better back in egypt ;
try checking with the curators at the museum they are usaly helpful best wishes astonian;;

In the 1960's there were two mummy's in the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, along with a number of Egyptian artefacts, a mummified cat, bird, snake etc. I recall that they took both mummy's to a hospital to have them x-rayed; one fell to bits as it was too fragile, the other one was found to have a metal object imbedded in its skill. Someone did say it was a knife.

The one mummy was still there when I last paid a visit; it is an exquisite piece of craftsmanship, with its crisscross bandages and gold studs.

There's more than one mummy...

Hi
I am trying to find out information about an Egyptian Mummy owned by the Cadbury family. It was loaned to a cinema in 1932 by Elizabeth Cadbury and eventually was given to the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery in 1966. Does anyone know any more details about it please or any other antiquities collected by the family?

March 1919...

C6042110-A5E6-4C63-8157-3288658BE8C4.jpeg

Back