• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Edwin Yates mayor of Birmingham

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Yates street off the Aston Road north,was named after Edwin Yates,in 1865. He became mayor of Birmingham,
And after his term in office was over, the street which was formerly was vale street, was renamed in his honour,
Edwin was born in 1819 and was part of a very industrial minded family,his grand father Thomas Yates
Was a dies inker in coleshill. Street in1788 and his own father john Yates along with his four sons( including Edwin)
Carried on the business from four properties in coleshill street, including , Electro plate work spoon making
Pewtering , brass founding beer pulls and bar fitting ,

He was first elected to the town council in 1865; representing. St Peter,s ward and was one of the foremost leaders
In the masonic movement,
Edwin died on June 30 1874 at his house stonebury Norfolk road Edgbaston,, and such esteem he was held

In there was a mighty procession of coaches and Horses from his house ,to the general cemetery
And constisting of four morning coaches ,eight pall bearers on foot ,the hearse ,two coaches
With the principle mourners ,and fifteen private coaches at the rear consisting of the mayor,civic
Dignitaries and members of his lodge (st James 482) It must have been a moving and wonderful sight
After his death the family business flourished in pritchard street making a very large variety of edge tools
Before folding in1948. After a run of 160 years in business
Two notable personalities in the family were Harry James Yates whom was an inventor/research worker
In the Gas industry and Ralph Cyril Yates,he was a great, great nephew of Edwin and became lord mayor
He was responsible for sending a telegram from the people of birmi than to Buckingham palace when George VI died

Aston road North from Yates street (1956 )the Astoria picture house is on the right and the Aston Cross was further along
Yates street disapappeared with the building of the Aston Expressway,
The old post office was on the corner of Holland road and next to it was a coffee house owned by the Arthur jelfs
Along with the one on the corner of rocky lane Aston cross where maudsmart met her husband to be Billy smart
They lived in white house street Aston in a back to back by the chinns family for many years
Until the slum clearance of Aston and then bill getting on along with Maud whom taken on the church care taker in lodge road
Hockley and Bill worked at Avery scales in the electro plating department four years
Until they was old and grey and worn out of age they both friend in a home at kingstanding road
It came to the stage where upon Maud no longer recognised her husband bill and she died not knowing bill was her long standing husband
For all there years of marrige I do believe there was an article and photograph along with there story in the Birmingham mail
Best wishes to every one of you as my old mother used to say regular keep up your chinn up and smile
Come what may Alan,,,,,Astonian,,,,,,,,,,,

Yates street off the Aston Road north,was named after Edwin Yates,in 1865. He became mayor of Birmingham,
And after his term in office was over, the street which was formerly was vale street, was renamed in his honour,

I note that this was printed in Carl Chinn's "Streets of Brum Part 5" which I consulted as I am dabbling a little with the Mazeppa Inn. I am afraid that this is another case of text in a book being a bit wonky. I looked in the census and Yates Street is listed in 1851, long before Edwin's term in office. I suspect that the thoroughfare commemorated Josiah Robins Yates, the industrialist who owned tracts of land near Yates' Mill, though I have not yet established where he fits in with John Yates and Son which dominated this locale.

Back