• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Edwards/Hall Green and Shirley

Bluenose29

proper brummie kid
We are trying to find more information about Ellen Edwards b 1888 in Hall Green,Yardley
Father Henry and Mother Emma
One of her sisters was Elizabeth b 1895 who has also proved elusive
Other Siblings include Henry Richard,William John.John Charles and Kate.
Ellen was on the 1921 census with the family in Paradise Lane ,Hall Green
Thank you

Virtually impossible to tell if any of the marriages after 1921 are hers unfortunately, names just too common.

If you know her dob, you could search for that and Ellen on the 1939 register and try to work back but that can be a bit hit and miss.

Hi Sue
Many thanks for your response
We have located the family on all the census including the 1921 except for Elizabeth [Lizzie] who we are unable to find .
? has got married.
Ellen is on the 1921 census but as a visitor at home with parents.

Is this a possibile death for Ellen? Her birth was registered in 1888
1643889321970.png

Last edited:
Hi
Many thanks
This is a possibility and looks promising
We will send for the certificate and keep our fingers crossed

Hi
Many thanks
This is a possibility and looks promising
We will send for the certificate and keep our fingers crossed

You may know already but you can order a pdf copy from the GRO which is cheaper. Can become expensive follow every small lead, especially with a name like Edwards.

There are an awful lot of Ellen Edwards on the eroll in the Birmingham area. I selected that death as the year of birth matched but it may not be right. No way of telling if the lady was Mrs or Miss. Both Ellen and Elizabeth (Lizzie)Edwards are common names.

There are an awful lot of Ellen Edwards on the eroll in the Birmingham area. I selected that death as the year of birth matched but it may not be right. No way of telling if the lady was Mrs or Miss. Both Ellen and Elizabeth (Lizzie)Edwards are common names.
Sadly we have struggled for many years with our Edwards line:(

Hi again
We have just had a look through a few of 'not ours ordered in error' certificates back in 2015 and find that we have this and another Ellen Edwards who died in 1964 . sadly neither were ours
One of the infamous brick walls we think but we will keep searching
Thank you for your help

Do you know either Ellen or Lizzie's actual dobs?

There is an Elizabeth Edwards (single) lodging in Greenwich on the 1921 census. Birthplace on the search results is just listed as Worcestershire unfortunately though and there are a couple of others it could be.

Unfortunately, I've tried to work back with marriages and children but none of the Ellens or Elizabeths with those dob on the 1939 appear to have been an Edwards.

They still could be there with an error in their dob but that doesn't help.

I did limit it to the exact year (which misses most one of the common dob errors) and ignore everyone with a middle initial. And I probably wasn't as thorough as I could have been with a couple of the very common names.

Unfortunately, I've tried to work back with marriages and children but none of the Ellens or Elizabeths with those dob on the 1939 appear to have been an Edwards.

They still could be there with an error in their dob but that doesn't help.
Many thanks for your help
Our Edwards research has been going on for a number of years
We did find a rather annoying red herring some time ago when we found a number of 1930s birthday cards sent by Ellen from 64 Brackenbury road to family members
Finally we confirmed that there was no such address in Birmingham and we are now leaning towards the one in London in Hammersmith/Greenwich

Back