• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Edwards family

Katrina

master brummie
Hi - does anyone have any information on James Frederick Edwards (1876-1933) who married Rosina Showell (1896-1959). His father was Samuel Edwards and I think his mother was Elizabeth Birch but have yet to prove that. Family history has it that James went into a London workhouse as an orphan child then moved to Birmingham where he met Rosina. There is also talk of a jewish family connection? possible Spiers? but cannot find any information. Incidentally the family also seem to be related to the Chinn family in Birmingham through Rosinas grandmother Susannah Tomkins.
Any information gratefully received.
Thank you
Katrina Symonds nee Edwards

You probably know this ( I assume this is the same couple, as it is the only match in the electoral rolls ) but the electoral rolls list James & Rosina Edwards being together at 106 Wright Road 1930-1939
in 1925 & 1927 only James Edwards lived at that address
The slightly strange thing is that 1920-27 a James & Cinderella Edwards lived at no 102 Wright St.

Katrina, the Rosina Edwards who died in 1959 was born in 1886 she was 73 when she died

I have found James Edwards/Rose showell marriage 1914 and

also a James Edwards/Rosina Summerfield marriage 1924(she was a widow nee Hall)
both of these ladies born 1886.

Found only one birth for a Rosina Showell she was born 1886 the daughter of James Showell/Susannah Tomkins married 1885

1891 Ford street,

James Showell age 26 Strip caster
Susannah age 35 Brush Maker
Rosina 5
Alfred 2

Rosina Showell born 1886

Katrina , if you are basing the marriage of Samuel on a record shown on FreeBMD the person he married is not Elizabeth Birch but the other lady Maria Alice Hughes, they married on 30th november 1868 St Andrews, London.

In Wright road there is a small road called Nigel road ,in it where a family of edwards. Children where John , Janet, there was another girl but I cannot remember her name it was around 1950-1960.they might be related to your family ,perhaps you could look in census records Regards reg morris

Back