• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Edward Smith , High Street, Erdington

KINS

knowlegable brummie
Is it possible to name the occupants of the household at 154, High Street, Erdington in 1915. It should be Edward Smith - Carpenter,. but I am not sure when his wife died and when he remarried. He moved away to Gilson, Warks in the early 1920's. Many thanks for any help. KINS

Hello KINS
1915 isn’t on the Electoral Roll that I have access to, but have found the following -
1912/13 Electoral Roll Edward Smith 154 High Street, Erdington South Ward

1920 (Spring) ERDINGTON SOUTH WARD-. POLLING DISTRICT GS (No. 201).
Franchise. Residence or Property occupied - CHURCH ROAD—Allotment 90 —
Smith, Edward. (Abode—154 High street)
Edward and Sarah Smith 154 High Street, Erdington South Ward

1922 Edward J and Sarah Smith 154 High Street, Erdington South Ward
No longer at this address by 1925 Electoral Roll
bewdley

Many thanks both of you for your help. Unfortunately, the owner/occupier only is mentioned in the 1912 Kelly's and between 1911 Census and the 1920 Kelly's, Edward Smith married a Sarah after his first wife died. The problem is having a name such as Edward Smith marrying a Sarah ? between these years. I need to go into Birmingham Records Office but I live in the South West now so its more difficult. Anyway, thanks again.
KINS

Hi I have checked the deaths for Hannah Smith aged 49 on 1911 census Birmingham/Aston wife of Edward (builder not carpenter on census) and have the following possibilities -
Deaths Hannah Smith
March quarter 1914 Aston 6d 683 aged 57
June quarter 1914 Birmingham 6d 192 aged 57
March quarter 1915 Aston 6d 794 aged 53 (best match).
March quarter 1915 Aston 6d 680 aged 59.
Hannah E June quarter 1919 Aston 6d 490 aged 54
There is also a marriage between Edward Smith and Sarah Bayliss Birmingham 6d 411 September quarter 1916 – ? could this be what you are looking for.
bewdley

Hi me again, just had another thought - do you know for certain that Edward remarried - his mother is Sarah A on 1911 census so it may be his mother who appears with him on the Electoral rolls etc. bewdley

Hi bewdley; You really have been working hard for me. In actual fact I know that Sarah A registered as "Mother" on the 1911 census is Hannah's mother and the Sarah I am "investigating" became my adoptive grandmother in 1919 and I am presuming Edward and Sarah were married after Hannah's death. Sarah died in 1953. I agree with you about the date of Hannah's death being 1915 as her age would be correct with her birth date (1862) and the marriage to a Sarah Bayliss in 1916 would tie up with the dates. It was the only one I could find too. Thanks again and now I have downloaded the forms from the Birmingham RO I will have a go at getting confirmation.
Regards - KINS

Back