• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

EDWARD ROSE (BIRMINGHAM) LTD

Bob Rose

knowlegable brummie
I have started to research the company my uncle Edward built and would welcome any help with information. The company manufactured motor accessories mainly for Ford and Vauxhall in the early days.
I remember the first factory under the railway arches at Snow Hill Station in the early 1950's. He then moved to a much larger factory at Wylde Green when all the family were recruited into painting the offices. I believe a factory was also opened in mid-Wales, Newtown I think, as I recall my mother visiting.
Having moved away from the Midlands, my knowledge is very sketchy after this time, but I believe the company rapidly expanded with acquisitions in France, Canada and South Africa. Pelsall became the main UK factory and I know of another factory in Telford.
The company became part of the larger Wagon Automotive Group but I believe the demise of much of the UK motor industry caused the closure of the company around 2009.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Looks like Edward Rose Ltd was aquired by the London Aluminium Co. in 1961. (Majority interest)

Hi RobT
Many thanks for the advert from 1962. I had not found any information about the tie-up with The London Aluminium Company of Bridgnorth so this gives me another thread of research. Very helpful.

Hi Pedrocut
Many thanks for the advert from January 1957. This is the only information from the very early days of the company that I have seen, so very useful. I know that the main product from this period was the production of sun visors for cars and they were stitched, so there was obviously spare capacity.

The 1962 advert shows grilles for the Ford Anglia Deluxe, the then brand new Ford Cortina, again deluxe, and what I think might be the Triumph TR4.

Thanks jfs.
I think the association with The London Aluminium Company and Smiths Sections was a stand share by the three companies to spread the expense. I did some stand work for Edward Rose at the NEC and Frankfurt through my own company some years later, so know the high costs involved.

At various times I have been on the teams of firms exhibiting at NEC, Whale Island, Brighton Exhibition Centre, Earls Court, Olympia and at Aldershot, and once only in that Docklands Centre place.

People think it’s a jolly, there might be some fun now and again, but it’s hard on the feet, the back, and just occasionally on the brain.

Thanks for the Birmingham Post article. You were correct about the tie-up of the three companies that I had assumed was simply an exhibition stand share. I cannot find any connection with the other two companies in the 70's and 80's only Edward Rose as a stand alone company.

At various times I have been on the teams of firms exhibiting at NEC, Whale Island, Brighton Exhibition Centre, Earls Court, Olympia and at Aldershot, and once only in that Docklands Centre place.

People think it’s a jolly, there might be some fun now and again, but it’s hard on the feet, the back, and just occasionally on the brain.

You're absolutely right about exhibition work. Lots of headaches, hard work and waiting about for late deliveries with overseas exhibitions the most taxing.

In 1977 there seem to be at least three Edward Rose Companies, all members of the Banro Consolidated Industries Group.
Birmingham, Sections and Telford. Further details are shown.

Back