• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Edward JAMES, Prisoner in Weedon Beck Military Prison in 1861.

Brummie On Exmoor

master brummie
The older brother of my Great Grandfather was Edward JAMES, born above his father George's hairdressing shop at 4 Congreve Street, Birmingham on 3 December 1841. He appears on the 1851 Census at the same address, aged 9. His mother was Elizabeth nee MOLESWORTH, and he had 6 siblings. George JAMES continued to run his hairdressers and perfumers in Congreve Street for many years and the majority of the family are buried in Key Hill Cemetery. However, by 1861, Edward has disappeared. There is a rumour of a black sheep in the family who went to America, but noone knows any details, although my Mum & Aunt, both in their 90s, think it was probably Edward. There is a further belief that he returned in later life but didn't live long after his return. He is not buried at Key Hill though.

However, there is one Edward JAMES on the 1861 Census who could well be him, and if it is, it could fit the family story. There is an Edward JAMES, b Birmingham and 19 years old who is a Prisoner at the Weedon Beck Military Prison in Northamptonshire. He is recorded as a Private Soldier, but there is no other information.

I speculate that if this our Edward, he could well have gone to America after his release from prison to escape the disgrace or the family disapproval.

I would be very grateful for any help or suggestions about this story: In particular, I would find it very useful to know whether there are records of individuals sent to Military Prisons - who they were, what crime they had committed, how long they served, where they went on release etc. For example, could they go back to serve in their original unit - were they even obliged to do so?
Secondly, it would be really useful to know whether a boy joining up in Birmingham in the 1850s would have joined a particular regiment or regiments. There is no hint as to his regiment in the Census, but to know it would almost certainly help me to identify him.

Clearly, to take this any further, what I need to do is try to find out if the prisoner in Weedon was our Edward, and if he was, what happened to him upon his release.

Many thanks,

Jane

Back