• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Edward H Manning

W

Wendy

Edward H. Manning

I am righting this as a personal tribute to a man who I think deserves some acclaim for his work. Edward H Manning was chaplain and secretary of Key Hill cemetery for 53 years. He documented people of significance buried in the cemetery for many years, this is from his published booklet of 1905.

During the many years that the cemetery has been opened, many men who have served the town, and who have left behind them very sweet memories and lasting influence, have been laid to rest here.
Enquiry is so often made as to the resting places of these men that, I resolved to give a list of their names, together with their family vaults. It would be presumption on my part to attempt in any way to give a complete biography of any of our honored dead, and I have not attempted to do more than to place on record material which will justify the calling of this cemetery the “Westminster Abbey of the Midlands”

If this list is read with the same pleasure that I have in righting it, I shall be amply rewarded.
I here tend my heartiest thanks to all those who have given me information.

His second booklet was published in 1925.

In this booklet I have attempted to bring back memories of those to whom the present and future generations ought to feel deeply indebted in that they are the makers and builders of no mean city.
It would be a difficult task for me to give a complete biography of all the honored dead. I have only attempted to place on record such material as shall justify the calling of this cemetery.

Without his dedication some of this information may have been lost, I think he deserves to be recognised for his work. Wendy

Moma P

I think you are correct in posting this fitting tribute.

I am sure many people have gained knowledge re their ancestors through this gentleman. Without him much would be lost.

Regards

Back