• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Edward Albert Newton

CHINCH

master brummie
Hello everyone, I wonder if anyone can help me? I remember seeing a photo' of my Grandfather, Edward Albert Newton, in a sailors uniform, on the sideboard when I was young and spent time at my Grandmother's flat in Kings Heath. Edward died in 1962 aged just 50 and my Grandmother didn't speak of him much so I know very little about him. I have been told that he served in the Navy in the second world war. I have found a site giving the name of a Japanese prisoner of war, Edward Albert Robert Newton who was part of the Hong Kong Volunteer Defence Corps. Could anyone tell me if they know anything about this, please. I have no recollection of him ever having Robert in his name but maybe I'm mistaken. My Brother is called Robert but I don't know if this is just a coincidence. I would be grateful for any help. Thank you. Chinch.

Chinch
just been reading your appeal for any info; on your grand father and i am sureour best in the field of researching
any subject and coming up with answers they may need abit more information from you but please bear with them
before they get around to you as they work very hard at it and i am sure they will help you out on it
I hope you do not mind me asking but how old is your brother, the reason i am asking is because i used to know a guy by that
name robert newton many years ago , i do not want to go into details at the moment about him
I,m only enquiring about his age to see if its the bracket age i think he would be at
I will Await to see if our experts come up with any think for you before i may want to asked you later
I am of course going back many years okay Chinch, best wishes , Astonian,,,

Hello Astonian thanks for replying to my request. My Brother was born in 1960/61 . Is this the same Robert that you know? Regards, Chinch

The Edward Albert Robert Newton ,prisoner of war ,was born in 1903 in surrey.
Your Edward Albert b 1912 to Harry Newton and Maria Sedgley and married Gladys Woodbridge and had 2 boys your father Graham and Peter.
1911 Harry Newton age 31 and Maria age 33 and children Harry 9, john 8 and Mary 4 were living in Gt Russell Street with Marias parents John and emma Sedgley,
Any of our researchers will give you info on your ancestors but we do not discuss living members on open forum only by private message.
You can message by clicking into the members user name and choosing'start a conversation'.

Enjoy the forum, we are a friendly bunch. Alberta.

Last edited:
Hello Alberta, thanks for this information. It clears that up for me. I have to say that I love this site and find the stories in some of the forums great fun . It's lovely to have some help from the members and thank you for being so friendly. Chinch.

Edward Albert Newton born 6 August 1912 was my 4th cousin. He was the 6th child of Harry Newton 1880-1914 and Maria Sedgley 16 October 1878, remarried 1916, died 1955. I have information going back should you require more would be happy to share among the family!

Hello Geofred, lovely to meet you! I would really like more information should you have some. I have been trying to find my Grandmother's history, especially, but with limited success and Ted is a mystery. I know he died very young and was a sailor? I would love to hear more.

'evening Chinch, I have concentrated on the Newton line and have little on this branch of the family as they are rather distant. I know that in 1939 Edward was a general labourer and he and his wife Gladys lived with his mother and step father in Highbury Road, Kings Heath. I found the family in 1955 living in Dawberry Fields Road, Hall Green. I have the Newton Line back to 1770 if you are interested. Maybe it would be better to continue using the private message facility - but I am not very technical and am not certain what to do. geofred(Susan)

hello susan...to use the private messages click on inbox top right of the page..click on start new conversation..type in the name of who you want to message ..type in your message to them..scroll down and click on start a conversation..hope this helps

lyn

Hello, Astonness, hope you don't mind but you have helped me too with this message to Susan, so thank you. Chinch.

Hello Geofred, lovely to meet you! I would really like more information should you have some. I have been trying to find my Grandmother's history, especially, but with limited success and Ted is a mystery. I know he died very young and was a sailor? I would love to hear more.

Gladys' dob from 1939 register 11 Dec 1915.

There is only one Gladys Woodbridge born in England or Wales that matches and that is the Gladys registered Mar qtr 1916 in Eton.

Mother's maiden name is also listed as Woodbridge which implies that Gladys' parents were both named Woodbridge (possibly related) or she was illegitimate.

There doesn't appear to be any Woodbridge/Woodbridge marriages, so unless there is a Woodbridge marrying a widow who was born aWoodbridge it seems she was probably illegitimate.

There are 3 other Woodbridge/Woodbridge children listed in Eton - Edith G Jun 1914, James Dec 1918 & Richard Jun 1920.

On the 1939 register there is a James Woodbridge born 1918 listed in Eton R.D. living with a George b1864, Stanley b1906 & Elsie M Woodbridge b1911. There is no other James Woodbridge b1918 near by.

Elsie M Woodbridge birth was registered Mar qtr 1912, mother's maiden name Simpson.

George Woodbridge marriage to Annie Simpson registered Dec qtr 1889, Eton.

George & Annie have two daughters living with them on the 1901 census - Florence Kate b1892 & Edith Grace b1894.

My guess would be that one of them is Gladys' mother, her birth certificate would tell which.

And that Gladys might be your Gladys, hopefully her marriage certificate would confirm.

Hello MWS, thank you for your help, I really appreciate how helpful everyone is on this site. I do know that my Grandmother was born illegitimately in Dec, 1915 in Eton. I know that her Mother married in 1921, in Kensington ,and had another Daughter. I have been told that Gladys lived with her for a while and was taken away , possibly for adoption in Australia. However, I have had a search of the adoption register and Gladys doesn't appear on it, and I have been told that she was not on any passenger list as travelling to Australia. From when she was born until 1935 when she married in Solihull, she is nowhere to be found. I have an autograph book which was dated 1930-1934 and contains lovely verses from, "Mother", Mrs J. Wallen, A. Wheatly, E. Taylor, D. Stanmore and others which Gladys left when she died which makes me think she was put into a home but I don't know where. I wondered, if, perhaps it may have been Hope Lodge or Marston Green Cottages as these would have had a "Mother" in charge and would explain her being in Birmingham. Anyway, thank you again for giving up your time for me. Best wishes, Chinch.

Back