• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Educating children about the canals

Smudger, its about displacement...........Not unlike how boats made from steel float. As long as the hull displaces more water (by weight) than the weight of the boat it will float. Most early boats were made out of wood because that was available and workable.
Hope that helps!
true. I always wondered., when i was a child, why a ship floated,and a panel pin sank. until i knew about displacement.

16.gif

Whether an object will sink or float in water depends on its density. An object will float if it is less dense than water. An object will sink if it is more dense than water. If an object has a density equal to that of water, it will neither sink nor float. The density of water is 1.00 g/cm3. The apparent density of an object can be changed by either changing the mass of the object, the shape of the object, or both. For a given mass of concrete, the apparent density can be altered by changing the volume it occupies (i.e. volume displaced when placed in water). Concrete can be made to float if it is shaped like a boat. A boat-shaped or hollow object will displace a volume of water greater than the actual volume of solid material in the object. The object is said to be "buoyant" when it floats due to low density. By spreading out the concrete used to make the boat over a larger volume, the apparent density of the boat becomes less than that of water. Hence the boat floats!:grinning::grinning:
Thank you, professor.
Bob

The title of the thread is Educating children about canals but I have learned a lot today!! Thanks everyone, I still think it's wonderful how a plane stays up too!!
rosie.

N

Now that’s about lift!
OK, I have been in the lifts in the WTC when it was up, Burj Khalifa, The Shard and Petronas Towers and they had lift, but when we landed we were still in the same place, so what went wrong? I think more information is needed especially in these trying times as we all go stir crazy.
Bob

OK, I have been in the lifts in the WTC when it was up, Burj Khalifa, The Shard and Petronas Towers and they had lift, but when we landed we were still in the same place, so what went wrong? I think more information is needed especially in these trying times as we all go stir crazy.
Bob
Bob, by the way at the WTC the lifts are (were) actually elevators :cool:
Here is an explanation: Air pressure is the reason airplanes are able to produce lift. Due to the shape of an airplane wing, air on top of the wings moves faster than air on the bottom of the wings. Bernoulli's Principle states that faster moving air has lower air pressure and slower moving air has higher air pressure.
In simple terms, because of the shape of the wing (not unlike a bird) as the plane goes down the runway faster and faster the air on the top of the wing moves faster because of the shape. The higher the speed the lower the pressure. So, the pressure on the top of the wing is less than the bottom which causes lift. At a certain runway speed the lift is greater than the planes weight so it lifts off!

Here is an explanation: Air pressure is the reason airplanes are able to produce lift. Due to the shape of an airplane wing, air on top of the wings moves faster than air on the bottom of the wings. Bernoulli's Principle states that faster moving air has lower air pressure and slower moving air has higher air pressure.
In simple terms, because of the shape of the wing (not unlike a bird) as the plane goes down the runway faster and faster the air on the top of the wing moves faster because of the shape. The higher the speed the lower the pressure. So, the pressure on the top of the wing is less than the bottom which causes lift. At a certain runway speed the lift is greater than the planes weight so it lifts off!
The difference between a lift and a elevator is in both the design and cost. An elevator has a totally enclosed cab and requires a shaft. ... A lift typically has an open cab, except for 42” panels on the sides of the platform. Lifts are generally more basic and lower cost than elevators
Both Lift and Elevators refer to the same machine that helps people and objects to move up and down easily. Lift is a British English Version while Elevator is an American English Version.
The Terminology used as LIFT is a mechanical Engineering Terminology and is related to lifting of the Lift Cabin by a Motor.
The Terminology Elevator is more concerned with Elevating of the Passenger Travelling in the Lift ( i.e., Human beings) from one level to another level.
LIFT is the old Terminology ever since LIFT was Invented.
Elevator Terminology came in use after several years later with New Generation of Lifts.

Last edited:
Thank you Richard, I must admit when Wilbur and I discussed his first flight he did not make it quite so clear, seriously I never really understood it until reading your reply....now about Occam's Razor, sorry should have said elevator.

Bob

Thank you Richard, I must admit when Wilbur and I discussed his first flight he did not make it quite so clear, seriously I never really understood it until reading your reply....now about Occam's Razor, sorry should have said elevator.

Bob
Bob, I used to talk with both Wilbur and Orville and they did mention a fellow with a strange accent :)

Anderton and Foxton have been mentioned; here is the newest one, the Falkirk Wheel.

You`re very clever Richard. I bet you even know why John Waynes wig never came off in a fight! BTW chaps we`re well off topic.

Anderton and Foxton have been mentioned; here is the newest one, the Falkirk Wheel.
RR, truly a wonderful piece of 21st century engineering & technology!

Back