• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Edmund Street

That's the left-half of Astoness's picture, Viv. Joined together it reads 'Government Stationery Office' and we are facing down Edmund Street toward Snow Hill. My picture from the invaluable selection of Phyllis Nicklin.

Thanks Richie. I think you're referring me to one of the Easy Row views. You can just see the Stationery Office on the right-hand edge. Now I know how Easy Row looked too. That's a superb collection of Phyllis Nicklin's photos. She seems to have captured many buildings on film just before they disappeared forever. Viv.

The 'photo in the initial post is of a place I always found interesting to visit, second only in my opinion to the Midland Educational store in Corporation Street. I visited it from 1950 -1953 when visiting the City centre. In later years I bought Official booklets from HMSO in Bristol as that was the nearest store to where I live.

Hi there,
Does anybody have an old picture/image of the Register Office on Edmund Street from the 1930's? My Grandparents got married there in 1936 and I would love to be able to see what it looked like. Many thanks.

Hi bytheseaw and Welcome!
There's a small picture of the old Register Office in Edmund Street, if you go to the Birmingham Register Office Website and click the genealogy section on the left-hand side. I hope this helps.
rosie.

No problem Viv.

Edmund Street is lined up with the Museum & Art Gallery. Also the Birmingham City University School of Art building.

Having looked at Edmund Street in relation to the old(est) Register Office on the thread here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ister-office-edmund-street.48141/#post-600920

Decided to see if I could find some images of the section of the street that was obliterated or radially changed in the process of 20th century development. Many of you will have seen these images before on the Shoothill site, but for me, they never really registered where exactly they were on Edmund Street. So, if like me, you've struggled to place them, here goes. (I'm relying on you Mike to flag up any errors ! Thanks).

Corner of Edmund Street and Congreve Street. (Map of 1888)
The two ladies in the first image and the lampost in the second and third mark Edmund Street. All 3 pics below are looking towards Margaret Street (you can just see the grand gable of the art school building on Margaret Street). Eventually all the buildings to the left would be demolished to make way for the Art Gallery Extension.
image.jpeg

The large building to the left is the Belle Vue Temperance Hotel. The shadowy building just in view on the right must be the edge of the Council House.m
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The 'Shoothill' photographer would have been standing on Congreve Street to take this photo of the Belle Vue Temperace Hotel. Off to the right is Edmund Street, to the left of the Chamberlain Memorial would have been the Liberal Club (out of view) and to the right the Council House.

Not seen the statue on the plinth before. A horse perhaps ? Or is it a familiar statue and a trick of the camera? Viv.

image.jpeg

Corner of Edmund Street and Easy Row (map 1888)

The two policeman in this Shoothill image are standing on Easy Row (blue dot), off to the right is Edmund Street. Just visible on Edmund Street is, I think, the towering building of Mason's College/early Birmingham Uni.Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Phyllis Nicklin captured this corner in the 1960s, but by that time the large building on the corner had gone and the low level building of HM Stationery Office was in its place. See extreme right of her image.

image.jpeg

And a 1963 image posted by Astoness which was lost from this thread (post #19 - shall repost it). This is looking up Edmund Street towards Mason College/Chamberlain Square). Easy Row off to the left.
image.jpeg

Viv

Last edited:
And finally this last image is looking along Edmund Street towards Easy Row in 1904. The Belle Vue has been demolished to the right and we can now see the domineering Liberal Club in front of us, just in front of that is the turning for Congreve Street. And Mason's College is a little further along.

The old(est) Register Office would be just beyond the College but not very visible in this image. Viv.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That far end where it joined Easy Row would have looked like this in the late 1900s (image extracted from the Register Office Edmund Street thread). The Register Office was on the right. I think the low building to the right of the policeman's head (the PC in the middle of the road) is the Stationery Office.

image.jpeg

And a later (1901) map for reference.
image.png

viv i can only wring my hands in despair at some of the wonderful buildings we have lost...

lyn

Yes Lyn. It especially ruthless; the buildings, the street all gone. That's why I found it so hard to visualise. There're very few hints to latch on to. I don't remember the street at all, so it's been an interesting bit of research trying to get a picture together of Edmund Street.

At the same time very sad, as buildings like Mason's College, the Liberal Club, the (Victorian) library ....... would have all been places of great civic pride. But at least the Council House & Extension survived. Viv.

Could some kind person mark where the Barlow's shop (re. post #26) was at 113 Edmund Street please ? Thanks. Viv.

Thanks Phil. Expected it to have gone, but a nice surprise to see its still there and only slightly modified. Viv.

My 2xgreat grandfather lived at Court 20 in 1861, I think it might have been on the Easy Row end of Edmund St.
I can't tell from the map, perhaps the courts had gone by then?
rosie.

Does the new Centenary Way follow the old course of Edmund Street (the section that ran from the Congreve Street towards Easy Row on the 1901 map in post #32 above) ? Viv.

Back