• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Edmund Heeley Silversmith and pen maker Union St Birmingham

Ok ive read thru it once... and wonderful! ty Gail... that seems to tie up a lot of the questions we have found already, such as why harris heeley etc etc... and brings up a number of other questions too lol... so I'll mull it over again and come back to you again with them :) many thanks...
Andy

Hi

I've been following your thread eagerly as I am related to Edmund through his son John Theophilus. The family mentioned in the 1841 census I'm pretty sure is ours but unsure where Edmund was.

From what I've gathered it appears that prior to 1826 Edmund was in partnership with a Thos. Hildick, Coach Brass-Founders, Platers, Saddlers-lron monger. &c. of Walsall. In Jan, 1827 the partnership was dissolved by mutual consent, in consequence of-Edmund Hceley going into another business.—All debts owing to and by the said firm were received and paid by T. Hildick, by whom the trade was in future conducted.

Between 1826 & 1827 there was a partnership between Theopbilus Richards, jnr. Merchant, and Edmund Heeley, of Birmingham, Importers of French and other Ornaments, Manufacturers, &c. carrying on trade under the firm of Edmund' Heeley and Co. In July, 1827 the Partnership between Theopbilus Richards, jnr. Merchant, and Edmund Heeley, was dissolved by mutual consent.—All debts owing to and by the said firm were received and paid by George Holtham Harris and Edmund Heeley, under the firm of Harris, Heeley, and Co. by whom the trade was in future conducted.

This company existed until 23rd August, 1833 when notice was given, that the Partnership or joint trade* lately subsisting and carried on by and between George Holtham Harris and Edmund Heeley, of Birmingham, in the County of Warwick, Importers of Foreign Wines and Jewellery, under the firm of Harris, Heeley, and Co was dissolved.—All debts due and owing to and from the said dissolved Partnership were received and paid by the said Edmund Heeley.

It looks like it then became Edmund Heeley & Co (again?)

It seems that maybe in the late 1840's Edmund went into partnership with Charles Ratcliff as on the 1st January, 1866 the Partnership carried on between Charles Ratcliff, Edmund Heeley, and Edmund Arthur Heeley, at Arundel, street, Sheffield, in the county of York, as Electro Platers, under the style or firm of Ratcliff and Company, was mutually dissolved. All debts and liabilities owing to and by the said copartnership were received and paid by the said Edmund Heeley, who with the said Edmund Arthur Heeley, hence forth carry on the said trade on their own account.

Hope this gives you a bit more food for thought.

Gail
HI Gail, I appreciate this thread is 11 years old - however I just happened on it (14/1/21). George Holtham Harris was my great great great grandfather - I don’t know the story of his business - lost in time - but I do know he died in 1832 in Jersey, just before this partnership was legally dissolved so I always assumed the partnership finished due to his illness. His wife died the year after also in Jersey. I certainly find this time in Birmingham’s history fascinating.

Back