• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Edmund Heeley Silversmith and pen maker Union St Birmingham

truebritmega

knowlegable brummie
Hi there, My great 3, or 4 x great uncle, was Edmund Heeley... a silversmith, manufacturer, pen maker etc at 25 union street birmingham... and I would like to find out more about him, i can only find a few mentions of him on the net, and most of the info i have of him is from a trade advert of his...

Could anyone tell me more of him? would there be any photos of the building? 25 union street?...

He lived 1799 - 1871 and retired to walsall...

I have also seen mention of a James Heeley, who made much the same as Edmund (some of there products even sharing the same name) could James be a relative? to me it seems highly possible, perhaps the successor of Edmund?

The top of the advert for Edmund heely also says somehting that has me curious "EDMUND HEELEY & Co. (from Richards') "

could this mean that he formerly worked at a place called Richards's ? if so does anyone know of that?

Im new to using this forum, so hopefully, Ive added the advert as an attachment correctly lol

hope someone can help
Andy

I found this Heeley family in Union St on the 1841 Census...
Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire
Civil Parish: B'ham (St Philip)
Address: Union St

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born
HEELEY Ann F 30 Silversmith Warwickshire
HEELEY Mary F 12 Warwickshire
HEELEY Theophilus M 10 Warwickshire
HEELEY Edmund M 9 Warwickshire
HEELEY Amy F 6 Warwickshire
COTTON Elizabeth F 20 Female Servant Warwickshire
HODGETTS Alfred M 15 Appren. Warwickshire

hmmm wonders if thats a family connected to Edmund? (for my Edmunds family differ to those names) Amy... fits tho, and Theophilus does too (tho in my heeleys Theophilus comes as a middle name) Perhaps thats a relatives family that lived on... the premises?

In 1838 and 1839 there is an Edmund Heeley living at Union Street according to Birmingham electoral roles.

Suzanne

so i assume, the edmund living there at that age, wasnt a child... (wouldn be able to vote) so could be my Edmund b1799? The only address I have for Edmund is Lime Grove Lodge Edgbaston.. My Edmund was married to Mary Ratcliffe, her family were also involved in businesses in Birmingham

In 1821 in Pigot's Director of Warwickshire at 24 Union Street is Harris, Heeley & Co Gilt Toy Makers - wonder if they are related to your Heeley's ?

Suzanne

very possibly... Ive seen a few simillar names, not that one tho, but James Heeley is one, and Heeley and sons is another... this is a big family(My edmunds son, went on to become a surgeon,judge and mayor in Australia, and father in law to the founder and first governor of the commonwealth bank of australia!)... and thats all part of why I want now to find more about Edmund... with so many things on his advert that he made, and such distinctive names to the products... surely there must be something?... Edmund was also a benefactor to a few things, including the building of the birmingham free industrail school, and appears to have been on some comimities to do w Queens Hospital Birmingham, and somehting to do w a "Tontine Library" ... and something to do w the wesleyan (methodist i believe?) religion

Andy

The following was written before seeing smtr’s post, which lengthens association.

Looking at birmingham directories we get some idea of him. The similarity of products does make it seem likely that James and edmund were related. From th e following it looks as if James’ firm was the first to come into existence. He seems to have been associated with a francis heeley for a short time around1929, and at around the same time (1829) Edmund appears associated with harris , healey & Co., which has a large number of disparate interests (today it would probably be called a conglomerate). It has branches outside Birmingham, including London and Paris (the later probably because of the wine aspect of the business). By 1833 the business seems to have been renamed Edmund Heeley & Co. between 1845 and 1849 Edmund Heeley & co seem to disappear, but Edmund Heeley (presumably the same one, but possibly a son) is listed as an electroplater (but only giving home address indicating he is working for a firm) . In 1962 he is associated with J & C Ratcliffe (though he might have been working with them while he is listed just as an electroplater). At around this time J & C Ratcliffe , in addition to being a lamp, candalabra etc manufacturer, become listed as electroplaters. But by 1867 J & C.Ratcliffe have disappered. The factory at 136 suffolk St is occupied by Harrold & Ashwin, electroplaters. By then Edmund has presumably gone to Walsall.

Heeley James, manufacturer of steel watch chains, keys,seals, beads, buckles, buttons, purses, purse springs,&c. Great Charles-street

Heeley James, steel toy maker, 146, Gt. Charles-street

Heeley Edmund, George-st. Edgbaston
Harris. Heeley & Co. importers of plain and fancy cut coral, mosaics, shell, coral,
and lava cameos, enamels, jewellery,bronzes, iron and French gilt ornaments,
&c. and jewellery and gilt toy manufacturers, 26, Union-st. and 212,
High Holborn, London
Harris, Heeley, and Co. percussion cap manufs.24, Union-st, and Rue-st. Dennis,
Paris
Harris, Heeley, and Co. -wholesale jewellers and agents for the fine French
Wines, 24, Union-st.
Heeley Francis, black ornament and gilt toy maker, 107, and 146, Gt. Chas.-st.—
Residence, 22, St. Paul's-square
Heeley James, light steel toy manufacturer,146, Gt.Chas.-st.Resid.Haper's-hill

Heeley Edmund, George-st. Edgebaston
Harris. Heeley & Co. importers of plain and fancy cut coral, mosaics, shell, coral,
and lava cameos, enamels, jewellery,bronzes, iron and French gilt ornaments,
&c. and jewellery and gilt toy manufacturers, 26, Union-st. and 212,High Holborn, London

Heeley Edmund and Co.wholesale jewellers,and importers of plain and fancy
cut coral, mosaics, shells, lava cameos,enamels, jewellery, bronzes, iron and
French gilt ornaments ; jewellery, gilt toy, percussion cap and steel pen manfs. and agents for the sale of fine French wines,24, Union-stResidence of E. Heeley, George-street, Edgbaston
Heeley James and Sons, steel and gilt toy manufacturers, 146 and 147, Gt.-
Charles-street
Heeley James and Sons, inventors and manufacturers of the Rhadiographic
and Polychronographic Pens, also of the ever-pointed pen and pencil-case,
146 and 147, Great Charles-st.
Heeley James and Sons, manufacturers of patent and common cast tacks,
coffin nails and pins, 146 and 147,Gt. Charles-st.Residence of Mr. Clement
Heeley, 1, Camden-place, Harper's-hill, and of Mr. Francis Heeley, 2, Camden-place, Harper's-hill

Heeley Edmund and Co., wholesale jewellers, medallists, wine and spirit merchants, &c, 24, Union street
Heeley James and Sons, manufacturers of fine steel and gilt toys, steel pens,buttons, &c, Mount street

Heeley Edmund & Co. wholesale jewellers, spoon, fork,pencil case & steel pen manufacturers, 26 Union st
Ratcliff John aud Charles, mauufacturers of lamps,chandeliers and candelabras, &c. 140 Suffolkst

Heeley Edmund & Co. silversmiths & jewellers, 34 Union st
Racliff John & Charles & Co. p a t e n t electro platers &gilders 140 Suffolk s t
Ratcliff John & Charles, general lamp manufacturers,candelabras , bronzists & gas fltting manufacturers,lamp manufacturers, 140 Suffolk st

Heeley Edwd. electro plater; home. 5, Lee Crescent.(wondered if this was a missprint for Edmund, as lee crescent is close to elvetham road, where he later was)
Ratcliff John and Charles, inkstand, lustres,lamp, chandelier, candelabra, railway and
carriage lamp, and gas apparatus manufacturers,140, Suffolk street
Ratcliff John, Charles, d: Co., patent electroplaters, 140, Suffolk street

Heeley Edmund, electro plater; home. 19, Elvetham road
Ratcliff John and Chas. arid Co., electroplaters, 130, Suffolk st.; h. Church road
Heeley James and Sons, mnfrs. of improved trousers straps, Screw letter files, steel
toys, snuffers, cork screws, boot hooks,key rings, steel pens, silver ever pointed
pencil cases, British plate forks, spoons,ladles, &c., Mount st and Graham st
Heeley Edm., electro-plater, 19, Elvetham rd
Heeley James., jeweller; homeRosehill, Handsworth
Heeley James and Sons, manufacturers of fine steel articles, dress swords, hatchets,
buttons, snuffers, corkscrews, boothooks,nutcracks, keyrings, patent boot studs ,
candlesprings, pens, etc., Also malleable iron casters, manufacturers of slating nails, hobs, jacks, coffin nails, pins, &c,73, Graham at, and 24 and 25, Vittoria st
Ratcliff Jno., Chas., & Co., electro platers and gilders, 136, Suffolk st; home Wyddrington, edgebaston,
Edgbaston
Heeley Edmund ( J & C Ratcliff & co ) Bridge Road , Edgebaston
Ratcliffe, J & C & Co, patent electro-gilders etc, 136 Suffolk St
Heeley James jeweller & fancy steel worker,1½ bull St, residence: Rose hill , handsworth
Heeley James & sons, manuf. of fine steel toys, 73 Graham St
Heeley Francis (James Heeley & Sons) park road, handsworth
I attach 2 page add from 1839 Wrightsons directories for James Heeley. they had some in other years also. Also one for Harris heeley from 1829
Mike

james_heeley_advert_1839_wrightsons_dir_1.JPG

james_heeley_sdvert_1839_wrightsons_dir_2.JPG

advert_harris2C_heeley_1829_in__wrightsons_dir_.JPG

Andy, I would suggest that Ann in the 1841 Census is maybe widowed, but was married to one of the relatives of the same 'Heeley ' family as James, Francis and Edmund.

Going by the age of the youngest child Amy 6yrs , I looked for male deaths in the area from Sept 1837 (The earlist rec's were taken, other than church rec's) to 1841, these are the ones I found:
Surname First name District Vol Page

Deaths Mar 1838
Heeley Thomas Houghton Aston 16..130

Deaths Dec 1838
Heeley Michael Birmingham 16..214

Deaths Dec 1840
HEELEY Stephen Birmingham 16..211

Deaths Mar 1841
HEELEY Edward Birmingham 16..170

Hope this may help :)

well youve all gave me plenty to think of lol... (and no I havent finished with you all yet!! ;) ) Im just mulling over all the ins and outs here...

but firstly, I am sure,.. that the heeleys in business up there are... the same family, too much of using each others business premises to be coincidence, secondly.. the Ratcliff connection is a correct one, for Charles Ratcliffe (not sure if it is the same one who was in that business, but a... Charles Ratcliff(e)) married one of the Heeleys (or was it a Heeley married a Ratcliff lol ) I'll re check on that, but that works too...

Also, the Wyddrington connection works, as Edmunds son, when in australia named his home there Wyddrington if I believe... but theres so many names dates and figures swirling in my head this moment I just need re gather the whos whats n wheres lolol
(Thank you Milke for that very detailed breakdown that has helped enourmously)

And yes Pomgolian, I agree that family is likely to be a related family...

I also now want to find out the relation-connection between My Edmund and James... and who the Harris was in Harris, Heeley... and who the "Richards'" are when Edmunds advert mentions he was from "Richards's"...

also, in the adverts where it says what they make... it keeps saying " &c" such as, purses,buttons,sowrds (for example) "&c" what does that mean?

&c is the term used in directories, (and possibly elsewhere) meaning etc. I think i altered it where i had to transcribe , but where I just copied it from the pdf i left it.
Mike

There are quite a lot of “Richards that it might be, but the most likely, from the things done by the firm, seems to be either ;
Richards Josiah and George, patentees of the oriental amulety,
jewellers, glass cutters, and toy makers, dealers in corals,
cornelian beads, &c. &c. 44, St. Paul's-square
or
Richards Theophilus and Son, silversmiths, 82, High-Street

Theophilus seems to have concentrated on guns and being a general merchant from 1829 and Josiah Richards’ private address is listed from 1829 but no firm of that name is listed. Therefore it could be either, though Josiah would be my first guess, because of the corals in both Josiah’s listing & Harris & Heeley’s advert

I wonder if that could be it, the Richards Theophilus... the only reason I say that is that Edmund had a brother, Joseph Theophilus, and he named his son John Theophilus...

And why cant i find any images of anything they made? lol with the tonnes of items that they made, would be wonderful to see something w the family name, mark, on it

oooh just noticed... Richards Josiah and George,>> 44, St. Paul's-square...
and in your earlier list...
Heeley Francis, black ornament and gilt toy maker, 107, and 146, Gt. Chas.-st.—
Residence, 22, >>>>> St. Paul's-square

Both St Pauls square (is that in brum?)

St Paul's Square is in the jewellery quarter of birmingham. In the first directory (1848) that lists occupants of streets etc as well as by name or occupation , of the fifty businesses listed (excluding the church), twenty are definitely jewellery , "toy" or similar related businesses, and a further eleven probably are ("merchants", factors , die sinkers etc).
mike

in 1845 no 44 St Pauls Sq is occupied by John Balleney , gold, silver & black ornamnet manufacturers

ahh ty... I have just emailed the current owners of 212 High Holborn lol (im tracking the addresses down lol ) to see if they might know anything, apparently it is now owned by "The Enviroment Agency" lol

Ive also just looked in my main family tree... to double double check if i already have a james or francis heeley (or a clement as he is also mentioned in your list)... alas nothing, but, Edmund did have about 3 other brothers, whom I have no details of other than there names... and his fathers name of John... so it could be that james and francis were maybe related that way, perhaps cousins of edmund or something (we will track the beggars downLOL)

What were the brothers' names? There were other Heeleys in trades that were not directly jewellery but could have connection with yours , for example a richard who was a shopkeeper and a John who made gun barrels.
Incidently there was in 1845;n Hceley Theophilus, tin plate worker, New Summer st.Haven’t looked at other dates but could he be one you mentioned
mike

well on an offshoot (cos Ive just thought of this from another line of My family...) one occupation (not to do w heeleys) is a "Carter" by proffession... any idea what that is?....

Onto the Heeleys again....
I think there is only one other brother, born in Birmingham (the family do come from walsall) oh and its Edmund himself who married the Ratcliff connection, he married Mary Ratcliff and she does have 2 brothers, John Ratcliff b1798 - 1864 born b-ham and Charles Ratcliff 1815-1885, he was a soldier ... I forget his details right now but he forme a birmingham regiment and married Lady Helen Jardine (daughter of Sir William Jardine 7th Baronet of Applegirth (Scotland)

Back to Edmunds brothers...

Dr Joseph Heeley b1801(walsall)
Alfred Heeley b 1803 Walsall
Thomas Heeley born b-ham, died;Fisherton, Delamer, Wills Co. England 1810-1892

Edmunds Dad was John Heeley (walsall) c1759

A carter was the equivalent of our 'Man with a Van' - at least if he worked for himself, which a lot of them did. Almost all goods were transported by cart, whether it be one with wheels and a horse or a jobbing cart - that was a cart with two wheels and it was pushed along by holding onto a large 'handle' with each hand. Some of my family were furniture removers, which was described on the census as 'carter' then 'furniture remover' written over the top. I hope this is of some help.

Shortie

ahhh ty, i imagined it would be... as obvious as it sounded lol but wasnt sure... ty...
btw, Ive just found some pictures online of corkscrews by James Heeley and son w the marks on !! if only I could find "anything"... with Edmunds mark on :(

(Im taking to this family:) I love to "put flesh" onto the names of the people if that makes sense)

Well, it makes sense to me, and I am sure most, if not all of us who are in to Family History. I find I build up a kind of impression of what that family was like, person by person. I have so far only found one I think may not have been very nice, but that is being judgemental. I just wish I could find more people researching the same families as me. So far, I seem to be the lonely cowboy.

Shortie

I know the feeling, but finding this family, now means i have one "big" family on each side... My Heeleys and my Braziers (Gunlock makers in wolverhampton, Birmingham and and and lol ) but the heeleys mean a lot for me, as its directly my dads side, and... with my name being smith..... need i say more? lol

Well, I am doing all my lines and have been for eleven years. I have a couple of Smiths, in Birmingham, but mine stretch out to Cornwall and Gloucestershire, Liverpool, Manchester, Stratford upon Avon, London and Scotland. I have not been to Scotland yet, but I have done the others. I still have loads of gaps, but it will keep me busy in my old age.

Shortie

A carter was someone who had a cart and carried stuff for people. Often it was associated with a coal dealer, in that he might deliver coal at times or deliver things for other people.
Was John Heeley an attorney at ablewell st ? or was that another one ?
Mike

It was just that pigot's 1835 directory lists a John Heeley under attorneys (didn't reliase the english ever used that "american" word) in walsall
mike

Hi

I've been following your thread eagerly as I am related to Edmund through his son John Theophilus. The family mentioned in the 1841 census I'm pretty sure is ours but unsure where Edmund was.

From what I've gathered it appears that prior to 1826 Edmund was in partnership with a Thos. Hildick, Coach Brass-Founders, Platers, Saddlers-lron monger. &c. of Walsall. In Jan, 1827 the partnership was dissolved by mutual consent, in consequence of-Edmund Hceley going into another business.—All debts owing to and by the said firm were received and paid by T. Hildick, by whom the trade was in future conducted.

Between 1826 & 1827 there was a partnership between Theopbilus Richards, jnr. Merchant, and Edmund Heeley, of Birmingham, Importers of French and other Ornaments, Manufacturers, &c. carrying on trade under the firm of Edmund' Heeley and Co. In July, 1827 the Partnership between Theopbilus Richards, jnr. Merchant, and Edmund Heeley, was dissolved by mutual consent.—All debts owing to and by the said firm were received and paid by George Holtham Harris and Edmund Heeley, under the firm of Harris, Heeley, and Co. by whom the trade was in future conducted.

This company existed until 23rd August, 1833 when notice was given, that the Partnership or joint trade* lately subsisting and carried on by and between George Holtham Harris and Edmund Heeley, of Birmingham, in the County of Warwick, Importers of Foreign Wines and Jewellery, under the firm of Harris, Heeley, and Co was dissolved.—All debts due and owing to and from the said dissolved Partnership were received and paid by the said Edmund Heeley.

It looks like it then became Edmund Heeley & Co (again?)

It seems that maybe in the late 1840's Edmund went into partnership with Charles Ratcliff as on the 1st January, 1866 the Partnership carried on between Charles Ratcliff, Edmund Heeley, and Edmund Arthur Heeley, at Arundel, street, Sheffield, in the county of York, as Electro Platers, under the style or firm of Ratcliff and Company, was mutually dissolved. All debts and liabilities owing to and by the said copartnership were received and paid by the said Edmund Heeley, who with the said Edmund Arthur Heeley, hence forth carry on the said trade on their own account.

Hope this gives you a bit more food for thought.

Gail

Lovely to hear from you again Gail, (yes we do know each other already though i bet youve forgot LOL) Ive sent you a personal message... now im gonna read thru this properly LOL

Back