• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Edgbaston Reservoir

yes rosie it must have been a lovely spot years ago..ive used the tower on and off since the 70s and there is still dismay at its impending demolition but as we all know history counts for nothing these days

lyn

A picture of fishermen at the Reservoir in c1993 found on Internet Archive.

View attachment 169457
That used to be the side for the Bream. Fishing at the Reza as we used to call it in the 70s/80s Jack Charlton turned up as we fishing a Parks Final with Starlets, he said he was going to a 1966 reunion but he would rather watch us fishing. He stayed then came to the new BAA headquarters for a beer at the end.

”Boating enthusiasts in Edgbaston Reservoir in the early 1900's, the building in the background was the Roller Skating Rink later the Tower Ballroom. Then it had tiered gardens around the side and front of the building.”

Old Ladywood remembered : a pictorial history of the area and its people by Price, Victor J. Publication date 1987

A438DA15-6252-4966-9FC1-C416CE3D6823.jpeg

Looking at the photos seems like the reservoir has been a centre for a number of leisure pursuits. Viv.

https://industrialtour.co.uk/edgbaston-reservoir/#visiting
Interesting site on the history. My grandparents, my mother and her sister lived in Reservoir Terrace. It looks attractive in this postcard view. Mom had always fond memories of the rezzer. I took pictures of the sailing club boats on a light leaking folding camera and in the 60s saw the girls do the twist in the Tower dancing round their handbags while mother and her friend looked on.

Back