• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Edgar Lustgarden

norfolk brummie

gone but not forgotten
Just watching TV Channel 81.....Films of bygone years.

Edgar Lustgarden introducing, and telling his stories of true murder cases.

I had forgotten all about him.

Eddie

I thought it had a 't' not a 'd' but I wasn't sure if it was just the way we said it. I think it was the 'Scotland Yard' series I was thinking of - it was definitely in the pre-fab so pre-1963.

Maybe you were thinking of the German name (Lustgarten) - a park in Berlin. A pleasure garden ( lust) . :D

This Edgar Lustgarden program (Scotland Yard) is being shown on Talking Pictures TV.

I watch this channel a lot as they show many old films and TV shows from the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s (and some from 70s and 80s).

They rescue old movies and TV shows that have not been on TV for years and make modern cleaned up copies and show them, often for the first time for decades.

It is great for looking out for actors who have only small parts in a TV program or film before they were famous. I saw Harry H Corbett (Steptoe) as a policeman (with a Scottish accent) in an episode of Scotland Yard (with Edgar Lustgarden) the other day.

There are some interesting programs that I don't even remember ever being on such as The Human Jungle with Herbert Lom. This is from the 1960s about a doctor (psychiatrist) who deals with people with mental health problems which must have been quite daring for its day. It is still interesting and watchable even now.

Web site for Human Jungle here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Human_Jungle_(TV_series)

Some of the old TV shows and films are interesting for seeing the cities and towns they were filmed in from the 1950s or 1960s (seeing London just after the war for example). Also the cars, fashions etc, and how much people smoke in TV shows and films at that time (the opening credits of The Human Jungle I mentioned above almost totally focuses on Herbert Lom smoking a cigarette).

Here is a short YouTube video of the opening credits of the Human Jungle and the cigarette (with music by John Barry who played the James Bond theme - but did not write it)

I have Sky and Talking Picture TV is on channel 343 but it is also on Freeview (81), Freesat (306) and Virgin (445).

Here is the Talking Pictures TV web site where you can see look at the schedule and see what is coming on.

https://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/

Last edited:
Back