• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Eddy Stobarts

Am I correct in thinking they are no longer a family firm Terry?

Here it is they were sold for £138 Million in 2007.

"Mr Tinkler and Mr Stobart - the brother of original founder Eddie - will hold 28.5% of the new company following the merger."

Last edited by a moderator:
All I know Bernie is that William Stobart and Andrew Tinkler bought the company off Williams brother Edward who inherited it from his father Eddy, the founder. I only know that from their website somewhere. Terry

Still seems to be 'in the family' but with the addition of an old Stobbart employee. A fascinating programme of a firm that still believes in excellent service and high-standards. I was mightily impressed by both the management and the employees.

Would i be correct in saying that Eddy Stobart was a pro footballer in his younger days. Dek

i watch the programme the other night and what amazed me was stobart truck spotters and they was fighting to be the number 1 spotter ok we get trian spotters plane spotters but stobart spotters .......now dont get me wrong each to there own but surely they could think of something better to do than sit for hours even days on end waiting for a truck to come in with a new name on the front and they was all waiting for the first mans name to appear on the front " VALENTINO"

p.s i must be getting to like this site im posting more lol great site always something to look at and its getting me looking up some of the things that get posted on here keep up the great work

Hi Paul, You do seem to get addicted, its usually the first site I go to. By the way I was at Alderlea, left 1961.

Terry

I'd never knock another's hobby (as long as it was legal!) ... the diversity of our interests is what makes Britain, above all other countries, such a fascinating place. A man with a hobby is a man part-way to happiness, in my opinion. Most 'anoraks' have something to get up for, of a morning. I just read an article that states that people who are 'curious' are happier and more contented than those who are not; it just seems logical to me.

Hi Paul, You do seem to get addicted, its usually the first site I go to. By the way I was at Alderlea, left 1961.

Terry

TERRY IVE TRIED TO FIND PICTURES OF ALDERLEA SCHOOL BUT CANT SEEM TO FIND ANY THERE IS A GROUP ON FB YOU MIGHT KNOW SOME OF THEM WORTH TAKING A LOOK

hope its ok to mention fb on here if not please remove it thanks paul

Paul, they are about, i've seen them. Cheers for the FB suggestion. I'll have a look.

Terry

I confess to watching this programme, I was quite amazed at some of the loads caried, like a trailer of cream cakes being transported some considerable distance to a supermarket, surely there must have beem a bakery a bit nearer, not very "geren " in my book!!!

Whilst traveling the M5 on sunday night we overtook a rigid Stobart van carrying Racehorses........whatever next!!!!

I thought this was the best version of it...

[video=youtube;iyDZTB1tyPw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyDZTB1tyPw[/video]

Terry when my granddaughter was young and was travelling any distance to relieve the boredom she would see how many of his lorries she could count. I am sad I only count custard yellow cars and are currently up to 585. Jean.

That was funny Lloyd there are so many TV programmes that make every day events and mundance jobs appear to be dramatic and in so doing are providing plenty of material for the likes of Harry Hill...... made me laugh, still cant understand why those cakes had to make a 130 mile trip though. Maybe we should ask Tesco??

Back