• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Eatonways Coaches (Hay Mills)

Nigel, I most certainly do remember the name Eatonways but it was a long time ago, of course Bowens are better known.

I can remember Eatonways coaches from way back.The family lived nr the top of Manor House Lane and one of the daughters , Fay was in my class at Church Rd(now Yardley) school around 1950. Margaret.

Hi I worked for Eatonways coaches when I left Bierton road school around 1967 the workshop was next to the Hobmoor pub we repaired and painted the coaches i worked with two guys frank and dennis we had an old army truck which I would drive when the wokshop closed which iam sure was a sausage factory before this we moved to Coventry rd Hay Mils I remember the name of the owners Foy and a chap named Micky Bill sold cars from the showroom.

If you were going on holiday to one of Butlins holiday camps by Etonways coachs you would have departed from Park St, Digbeth back in the late 1950`s/ 60`s, Happy Times. Len.

Len sorry to contradict but I think you will find it was allenways and not eatonways whose services went to Butlins from their depot in Park St next to the Pheonix pub

Len sorry to contradict but I think you will find it was allenways and not eatonways whose services went to Butlins from their depot in Park St next to the Pheonix pub
Wanderer, You are right on further thought it was Allenways, a Senior Moment got me, Thanks for correcting my old brain box!. Len.

I come from sheldon and as my parents couldn't afford seaside holidays for us, we often used to go out on Eatonways day/half day and evening trips as a cheaper alternative.

I remember vivdly the booking forms which were hand written onto a multi carbonated paper and then the booking agent turned a handle to run off the set and handed you the customer copy. The remaining copies were then put onto a spike on the counter.

Would love to see any memorabilia from this company.

This transport photo website lists a few Eatonways pictures, but you can't magnify them very much, as they want you to buy copies.

It is interesting that Eatonways favoured registration marks with three letters and two numerals, such as "KOF 30" and "LOV 36".

I just love the look of 1950s coaches! :)

This transport photo website lists a few Eatonways pictures, but you can't magnify them very much, as they want you to buy copies.

It is interesting that Eatonways favoured registration marks with three letters and two numerals, such as "KOF 30" and "LOV 36".

I just love the look of 1950s coaches! :)
Thanks for the link, even some of Stockland coaches there.

Hi Folks, nice posts followed my original, I have more 'snaps some of the Eatonways fleet which may be of interest. My days with them as a driver were in the early 60's - I remember taking a few trips 'over the water' including a trip to the "Le Mans" racetrack. The 'bread-and-butter' day trips were long days AND we had to clean out our own steeds before we went home - usually after midnight. Start about 7:30 next day, no tachographs or strict driver hours in those days. I remember we had (reputedly) the first Ford R226 when the legal length was increased, terrible gearchange and proved unrealiable generally. Probably the major revenue earner was the weekend 'shuttle', to Great Yarmouth,(very popular holiday resort with Brummies then) We would depart Hay Mills about midnight Fridays, arrive G.Y about 07:30 Saturday - load up and return to 'Brum' - a very long "day". Memories are slowly returning, one particularly funny (but dangerous) incident comes to mind, more of that later if anyone is interested

.View attachment 60381View attachment 60382View attachment 60383View attachment 60384View attachment 60385

i dont know much about coaches but i have always loved the Leyland Leopard/Duple Dominant .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Nigel
I worked for Stocklands from 64 to 67 (some of the tales we could tell) as a Mechanic (passed my PSV in 66 aged 21), loved every minute, well almost. Once Coaches/Buses are in your blood they are there for ever. Would love to see more of your posts as they all bring back happy memories.

Hi nigel.
Great old photos dont know when you left the firm but alot of the old coaches were at the yard like leyland tiger cubs i remember the alloy cub on the front, alot lot of the old coaches we would use for spares dont know if you come down the yard but one of my jobs was to take seats out and put tables in turn seats round etc and mop them out do you remember frank shefton and dennis he had a stiff [peg leg] and did the bodywork i remember alot of drivers, i lived down the road from the yard i had my own key to get in and if i went up late at night and a coach was back with the windows steamed up well the driver had a good day i remember one driver named tony tall guy his windows were allways steamed up i was only 15 and sworen with my life but great days.

There is very little information about Eatonways vehicles on the internet. Here's a picture of an ex-Eatonways coach enjoying a new life as a traveller's home called "The Battle Bus".

It is (or was) EVP712D (1966 Ford R192 with Duple "Empress" C45F body). Seen on 19 July 1987 at the Rollright Stones Festival (Oxfordshire). [Courtesy of TravellerHomes.]

Hi Thylacine that coach EVP712D iam 95% sure was in a front end smash when we left the workshop metro camel did the bodywork i was on this coach with the first indian guy i had ever worked with named jacko we left hay mills down the coventry road past the swan were the road splits and there is a garage in the middle jacko was driving i was on the passenger seat with my feet on the chrome bar on the floor we had the radio on baby love was playing as we went down the hill jacko looked over and told me the brakes had gone we come round the bend its two lane road on the right a dustcart on the left west midlands bus both stoped jacko said dont want to get covered in rubbish them i heard the bang the windscreen come in i ripped the foot bar out the floor we both jumped up with glass all over us it was a rear engine bus we hit and the driver could not turn it off thank god nobody was hurt we left the coach parked crossed the road and got a bus back to hay mills.

Back