• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
A few passages from my books about Birmingham (comparing the past to now)

From "Birmingham Up Town Through Time" by Mac Joseph, Ted Rudge and John Houghton

From "Birmingham Then & Now" by Mark Norton

Interesting Ell. I did wonder what had happened to Easy Row. I hope the bank (used to be TSB in the 80's ) is still there on the corner of Broad St/ Suffolk St Queensway. That was a nice looking building. I vaguely remember it working very nicely as a building with Baskerville House. Viv.

Very fine view of Alpha Tower there in post 20! Modern design doesn't have to be ugly. When it was built AT, allegedly, had the fastest lifts in Europe. Not fast enough when you were late for work. Viv.

Last edited:
Think you mean Post 20.

Yes, I'm pleased with that shot! Thanks to the clear blue sky and spring sun light.

Alpha Tower is one of the best looking buildings in Town. Hills Glass the company I worked for made all the window frames for that place . I must have loaded everyone of them on trucks.

Ell many thanks for posting the Municipal Bank photos. Glad the Bank is still there as it's such a good design. The columns and the strong metal door flanked by those lamps makes a clear statement about it's original purpose. Be interesting to see if it's converted in time as it's unlikely to ever be a bank again.

Frothblower that's interesting about the windows as it took us a long, long time to move to Alpha Tower whilst the windows were tested for safety I.e a willing inspector throwing himself at the windows!!

Topsyturvey - what a transformation this part of town went through. Your old photo's show a totally different area. Hard to believe when there is so much 60s/70s development there now. Thanks for the photos. Viv.

I've been trying to work out what's going on in the first photo of Topsyturvey's post 27. There's a line of, I think, delivery trucks (?) outside the M&B pub. There's a board propped against one of the vehicles but can't make out the writing. Any ideas? Viv.

Viv
I think it must be a publicity photo for Whitworhs at no 4 easy Row. There they sold motor cycles (cars at no 42). and displayed out the front are their delivery/pick up vehicles with trailers. The board says "James" on it, and that was a brand of motor cycle.
mike

Love the old pictures in #27 :)
I can't work out which direction we are facing in picture 3 - can some one enlighten me please? We have our back to..... ?

Love the old pictures in #27 :)
I can't work out which direction we are facing in picture 3 - can some one enlighten me please? We have our back to..... ?

We have our back to the Hall of Memory and looking towards (nowadays) the expressway that leads down what was Suffolk Street to the roundabout where the tall flats (are?where?) and where the Odeon Queensway used to be. The MACE mini-video series has a still photo of the area completely flattened, but will need to get home from work tonight if anyone wants the link number.

Viv
I think it must be a publicity photo for Whitworhs at no 4 easy Row. There they sold motor cycles (cars at no 42). and displayed out the front are their delivery/pick up vehicles with trailers. The board says "James" on it, and that was a brand of motor cycle.
mike

Thanks for explaining that Mike, very helpful. It's hard to imagine now that this part of B'ham City Centre had that sort of business going on. But on the other hand, given B'ham's auto industry it's probably no surprise. Viv.

Ell many thanks for posting the Municipal Bank photos. Glad the Bank is still there as it's such a good design. The columns and the strong metal door flanked by those lamps makes a clear statement about it's original purpose. Be interesting to see if it's converted in time as it's unlikely to ever be a bank again.

No problem.

I took this Spring shot in Centenary Square. The Municipal Bank and Alpha Tower are behind the fence.

Spring in Centenary Square - flowers and a bench by ell brown, on Flickr

That's a very uplifting shot Ell. So good to see a number of phases of development in one shot, at the same time being artistic. Many thanks for showing us. Viv.

I saw Spring in bloom while getting updated shots of the new library, so took one shot of the yellow flowers and the bench!

Thanks Viv.

Found the attached advert by the construction engineers who did the steelwork for the Hall of Memory. The advert was in the City of Birmingham Handbook 1929/30 that was languishing at the bottom of one of my 'treasure' boxes. It has lots of other adverts and photos of the time; I will gradually add to the appropriate threads.

Last edited:
Like the advert Leslam. Now have a better idea of how the Hall was constructed! Didn't realise the dome was made from steel. Nice piece of architectural history. Thanks. Viv.

Back