• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Eastside

Stephen0002002

master brummie
( I can't find anything on this on the search ) ...

I pass the massive Eastside development every day to and from work (by Curzon Circus).
I can't believe how fast it is progressing.
Just thought it might be worthy of a thread and if we have any pictures it would be great.

I think that Guilbert53 may have some photos but could be wrong.

Why don't they stick to the old street names,they have more character,Eastside sounds too cold.

I wasn't aware that street names were changing. Is there any information anywhere on that?

Perhaps I should rephrase that,name the area after an old street name,something we are familiar with.

Certainly has a better ring to it. Maybe someone should start a Twitter Campaign to put pressure on.

I started taking photos around Eastside in about 2009, after they had demolished most of the factories.

Many of these were wide panorama photos trying to show the whole sweep of the site.

I created a topic on the Skyscraper City web site for my photos and you can see them here (see link below).

I must admit I have not gone up there recently and taken any new ones.

See here

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1024483

I know Ell Brown has many photos of Eastside as he works in the area.

I think the name Eastside was used when the council were trying to identify their plans for the city for the next 20 years.

They came up with a "Big City Plan" and called others areas Southside (near the Hippodrome Theatre and the Arcadian), and also Westside (West of the city centre).

They also had others areas called "City Centre Core", "Digbeth", and "Jewellery Quarter".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_City_Plan

The Eastside area is also sometimes called the "Learning Quarter" as of course Aston University occupies much of it, and the Thinktank museum is there.

Also Birmingham City University (BCU) have new buildings there, and so do the Birmingham Ormiston Academy (BOA).

It has also just been announced that the Birmingham Conservatoire music school will also move to Eastside from its current site next to the old Library. The conservatoire will be knocked down, as well as the old library, as part of a massive redevelopment of the area. More here:

https://www.bcu.ac.uk/pme/conservatoire/news/new-home-announced-for-birmingham-conservatoire

It has also just been announced that they are going to build more student flats alongside the canal in that area, as part of the Eastside locks development.

https://www.alumnodevelopments.com/projects/east-side-locks-birmingham/

So there is still a lot happening in Eastside.

And of course if HS2 happens the huge HS2 station will go in that area.

HS2 - another 2 seconds off the route and dessimated country side, may be Im old fashioned - do we have a separate thread for it ? Feels a soap box moment coming on :)

KNot sure why a history forum would have a thread dedicated to something that currently does not exist. I'll ask the question though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found this thread. Yes today from work I noticed that Cardigan Street had reopened (had spotted a fire engine turn down there for some reason or another).

First off AB Row, or what is left of it! It probably wont be a road any more, just a grassy corner between Jennens Road and Cardigan Street.

Belmont Row Works and Belmont Row (still blocked off) Seen from a reopened Cardigan Street.

The growing Birmingham City University - City Centre Campus (or Eastside Campus)

For more see my Flickr.

My main Eastside set (over 700 photos).

My Eastside collection of sets on Flickr.

Excellent pics ellbrown, thank you.

The brickwork on the old building facades that we are loosing look so nice. But may be I am old fashioned.
The new buildings look quite good but you do not get the feeling that they are built to the same standard.
Will they age as gracefully as the old ones ?

In saying that there were some older building that were looking past the sell by I guess.
So you can't moan can you.

Probably to keep in character?

If Eastside Locks get built (no 1 Eastside Locks will other side of the Digbeth Branch Canal), they may build student accommodation blocks here!

No idea. As long as they maintain then and keep them clean (men abseiling down the side and cleaning windows / brickwork etc).

"AB Row" not coming up in a search still! So will post this here, unless someone can find the thread?

Hoardings gone around the AB Row / Jennens Road / Cardigan Street site near Howe Street. Turned into a car park!

Back