• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Easter Meet Up 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have really rushed a page for The Bull in order to get it online before the social event. Something to read in advance. It's been such a rush there may be typo's and wonky bits but at least the main thing is it is there for you to read. No external links will work yet - they are placed in advance as it is easier than go back and do it.

By the way, if you do read the history I have compiled you will note that the history panels outside the pub are completely wrong in terms of the pub opening - I have it narrowed down to the late 1770's, probably 1778. This is also 20-odd years before the c.1800 which is on the pub's fascia.

Here's the link https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/price-street/bulls-head.htm

Cheers, Kieron

hi kieron..just had chance to read your info on the bull...as usual very interesting..did not realise that john fulfords house is still standing in trinity road..hope to see you on saturday:)

lyn

Hi Lyn
Yes, and a nice house it must have been so John Fulford made a few quid! His previous house on Birchfield Road has gone - the usual road-widening etc. Some old houses still survive on the opposite side of Birchfield Road. I went to check if George Fulford's house was still standing in Whitehead Road but, sadly, it has gone - though the neighbouring properties are still there.
Cheers, Kieron

thats sad kieron...must take a trip to have a close look at the house on trinity road...i am not that far from it..

lyn

many thanks dave and the same to you and yours..hopefully a few of us will take some piccies...i shall be flying the flag for paddington st:):)

lyn

Would love to be with you at Easter, and get to know you all a little better, but sadly I do not travel well these days.

WISHING EACH, AND EVERYONE, A VERY HAPPY & PEACEFUL EASTER.

Eddie

Would love to be with you at Easter, and get to know you all a little better, but sadly I do not travel well these days.

WISHING EACH, AND EVERYONE, A VERY HAPPY & PEACEFUL EASTER.

Eddie
Peace & good health to you Eddie. May you be blessed when the time comes with a telegram from the Queen, or it may be from King Charles.

Hi Eddie,

I echo your sentiments too and haven't left this island now since 2014. I don't fancy driving the 10,000 km I did in that year,
airports and airlines throw up too many obstacles for old geezers like me, and even when I get to the UK, all my friends & relations are scattered over the southern half of England! My thoughts are with you all - have a great time and I look forward to seeing all the photographs.

Maurice

Maurice, I love flying, always have since my RAF days, I think it is the easiest, quickest and safest way to travel and at nearly 87 still go abroad by air at least twice a year. I live less than 3 miles from Birmingham airport which is also a plus. Never been to Crete, but have painted in Greece, Paxos and Corfu which I should imagine are similar. I also enjoy rail travel but not road. I guess we are all different. Eric

Eric,

It's not so much the almost four hour flight that I dislike as all the security paraphernalia and waiting about at airports. I'm a good 40 miles east of Heraklion Airport and have to come into either Heathrow or Gatwick in the UK. Whereas a few years ago, most of our kids had spare rooms, they all now have our grandkids and this means we have to stay in hotels - an expensive business. So there are problems all round and it is a bit different to taking a two week holiday from the UK.

Most of the Greek islands have a similar topography, but things I miss most for my photography subjects are railways & canals (we have none), and natural lakes (our three are man made reservoirs). On the other hand, we have lots of wildlife and some great mountain landscapes. I'm not complaining at all, just stating that moving long distances is neither easy nor cheap when you get older.

Maurice

thanks to everyone for your easter wishes...hope you all have a lovely weekend..

could i just ask members who are attending the meet up to bring a camera or phone to take some piccies as i dont always have the time..many thanks folks..dont forget you can just turn up on speck tomorrow...:):) ps looking forward to seeing some new faces...really excited that rosielab can make it as we have not seen each other since leaving lozells girls school about 47 years ago:eek:

lyn x

Hope everyone has a good time, Im off to sunny Devon, but will raise a glass to old friends and good fortune to this forum and all its wonderful members. Happy Easter everyone. Robert.

Maurice, I see your point, I hate Heathrow, much prefer Birmingham, less agro, less waiting around and far more friendly staff , I am usually in the house within 1 hour off landing !! Only used Heathrow twice, Brisbane Australia and Denver, Colorado, never again. Eric

Lyn, I still have nightmares about that Christmas meet, Came out and my car had disappeared under the snow, how I got home I do not know. Eric

thank you rob ..enjoy devon:)

hi eric i also have nightmares...as those that know at about 8 on the morning of the christmas meet 2010 the heavens opened and it did not stop snowing...too late to cancel...buffet food laid on..think we had about 60 to 70 expected to turn up..somehow about a 3rd managed to get there..nearly knee deep during the afternoon..getting back was even worse:rolleyes:

Hi Eddie,

I echo your sentiments too and haven't left this island now since 2014. I don't fancy driving the 10,000 km I did in that year,
airports and airlines throw up too many obstacles for old geezers like me, and even when I get to the UK, all my friends & relations are scattered over the southern half of England! My thoughts are with you all - have a great time and I look forward to seeing all the photographs.

Maurice

Thanks Maurice.

The very best for Easter to Jan & yourself.

Don't blame you Frothy, if I knew it was going to carry on snowing I would also 'bottled it', at my age I do not like driving in blizzards, took me almost an hour to get home. Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back